Need some advice on Red Dots

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Need some advice on Red Dots

Post by Boo »

Hey guys, I am considering putting on a Red Dot onto my shotgun for turkey. Does anyone have opinions on which one is the brightest? I don't want to go for a large diameter and I want it low profile. Any ideas?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
munch

Post by munch »

boo i had one at one time one my excal that was called a square shooter i i think made by a company called atco i think. i liked it but some one liked my bow and the site more than me and stole it .they where about 1"square and when you looked trough it it was like looking at a picture
http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/118/
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
dutchhunter

red dot

Post by dutchhunter »

i have uesd the cheap bushnell on my 3.5 inch turkey gun for three years now and just love it would not hunt turkeys with out a red dot when i have a choice it makes that much of a diff DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
greener

red dot

Post by greener »

Don; Check out the Tru Glo line of Red Dots. Several to choose from and high quality. Not cheap , but I know your taste. Ive ordered 2 of the new 2009 Tru Glo crossbow scopes with velocity adjustment. Should be in this coming week. Again not cheap.
Boo

Re: red dot

Post by Boo »

greener wrote:Don; Check out the Tru Glo line of Red Dots. Several to choose from and high quality. Not cheap , but I know your taste. Ive ordered 2 of the new 2009 Tru Glo crossbow scopes with velocity adjustment. Should be in this coming week. Again not cheap.
Did you order them or did Gagnons?
roly

Post by roly »

Mr. Boo ; my son has one of the low priced ones from BassPro because he is "cheap."
He's totally happy with it , works great.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Tried several red-dot sights over the years (lower priced - under $100.) and never found one that I really fell in love with. But the one that has stayed in the "junk box" and keeps getting mounted on guns/bows is a BSA 3/8 dovetail (.22) model. Right now it's on a Crossman 2250 pistol? (rifle I replaced the stock with pistol grips on). Most red-dot sights I've tried had parallax, and the dots weren't clear (either a dim dot on low, or a bright blob on high). The BSA isn't great, but it's a lot better than others I've tried.
I was out fishing at a pond the other evening and someone had left a styrofoam cup laying on the far bank (about 20 yards away). I shot at it several times, and was hitting it every shot, so the sight was doing it's part!

(BTW) Ordered a "boss" air valve for the pistol to gain some power/velocity. It's supposed to increase velocity about 125fps with that barrel length, and should turn it into something I can reliably hunt squirrels with.
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The one Roly is talking about is the same one Wabi posted. I use it too and I am very happy with it.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
mikej

Post by mikej »

i have used aim points in the past with decent luck but they aren't very low profile. i like the holosight boo it works great i don't think you could go wrong with it
Boo

Post by Boo »

Mike, I tried to put a Holo on the shotgun and I find it too high. I don't want to build up the comb.
mikej

Post by mikej »

Boo wrote:Mike, I tried to put a Holo on the shotgun and I find it too high. I don't want to build up the comb.
fair enough :lol:
mikej

Post by mikej »

i have a bushnell red dot on my 3006 it works ok but it isn' the highest quality sight
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Burris elect dot, life time warranty, super clear, you may have to sell one of your bows or that 10g to pyd to buy one :)

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

You may be able to use the Burris Speed Bead, depending on what gun you have. Fits between stock and receiver so height isn't an issue. Very small and bright.
Give it a look see Don. http://www.burrisoptics.com/speedbead.html
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Don I have a low cost unit from Bass pro that perfoms great on my Exocet
The best things in life are not things!!