Pennsylvania PGC Approves Magnifying Scopes on Crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Horizontal Hunter

Pennsylvania PGC Approves Magnifying Scopes on Crossbows

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners gave final approval to a regulatory change that would allow hunters to use magnifying scopes on bows or crossbows during the archery deer and archery bear seasons. On March 5, in a notational vote, the Board gave preliminary approval to the modification. (For more information, see “News Release #029-09” in the “News Release” section of the agency’s homepage – www.pgc.state.pa.us.)

At its January meeting, the Board gave final approval to a regulatory change to permit the use of crossbows in archery deer and bear seasons. Prior to that vote, however, the Board accepted an amendment to prohibit the use of magnifying scopes during the archery deer and bear seasons.

“Shortly after that vote, the agency began to receive significant public comment about that magnification prohibition,” said Carl G. Roe, Game Commission executive director. “The Board decided it would be appropriate to revisit this aspect of the recently approved use of crossbows in the state’s archery seasons.”

As approved in January, the Board’s amendment to include a sunset date for the expanded crossbow use remains in place. This provision will require a future Board to consider the impact of expanded use of crossbows, if any, before June 30, 2012, and whether the privilege should continue into the future.

For the 2009-10 seasons, a crossbow must have a peak drawn weight of at least 125 pounds, and a bolt must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inches with at least two cutting edges on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and shall not exceed three inches in length. There is no maximum draw weight.

Crossbows may only be used during the early and late muzzleloader season when they overlap with archery seasons and an archery license is required.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view ... 1&Q=176424

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
mikej

Post by mikej »

good news
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Good for you guys, PA. seems to be makeing alot of changes for the sportsmen :)

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

Good :D
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

To bad for some of yous that jumped the gun and sold your scopes already. But thats good news for you all there. Comgrads on the hard work to changing opinions.

Funny story. Got pulled over for speeding the other day. Had a decoy on my front seat with 6 new arrows for my compound. Lady cop asked me if I had a crossbow in the veihicle. Said no I just bought them for turkey season. Took it on the chin and left with a 135 dollar speeding fine. But thought what a stuipid question. I could likely shoot a compound out of the car but don't think I could fire a crossbow out of my car. Some people are so hung up that crossbows are something so special that they shoot on there own or something. I drove away just shaking my head thinking about what she asked me.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

wheelie wrote: Lady cop asked me if I had a crossbow in the veihicle. But thought what a stuipid question. I drove away just shaking my head thinking about what she asked me.
Wheelie ... some LEO's are required when on patrol to ask if there is any sort of weapon in a vehicle if they see anything that suggests there might be. I know that's the case with our sheriff's department ... maybe that was the case with your officer.

Here in Tyrrell County, if a deputy asked you that, it wouldn't be a stupid question, it would be a question procedure requires them to ask.

And here, "in the vehicle" would include the trunk, or any concealed compartment.

Even if she wasn't required to ask, inquiring about whether you have one in the vehicle doesn't mean she thought you intended to shoot somebody or something with it.

Sorry about your speeding ticket. :(

As they say, "You play, you pay!" :lol:
Grizz
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Yes, it is good news. :D
Grizz
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

What does this mean?

Crossbows may only be used during the early and late muzzleloader season when they overlap with archery seasons and an archery license is required.

I thought it was for the whole archery season?

Am I reading this wrong?
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

Woody Williams wrote:What does this mean?

I thought it was for the whole archery season?

Am I reading this wrong?

To use your CB during the MuzzleLoader seasons you have to have a archery tag not as before you could use muzzleloader tag... But yes all archery season you can use CB
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
animal

Post by animal »

THATS GREAT NEWS PA I LIVED THERE AT ONE TIME . NOW ITS UP TO NEW JERSEY ITS VOTE COMING SOON :?:
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200
mikej

Post by mikej »

how many states are left that don't allow crossbows?
liaf

Post by liaf »

Not sure but I am certain NYS will be one of the last states to allow crossbow use. I am fortunate in that I am 10 miles fom NJ as it appears that NJ will allow them for 2009. Only problem is that I will have to hunt state land but at least I will be able to use my crossbow.
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I like these victories for the hunter/shooter
Way to go PA
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO