Product Review NGSS System

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Product Review NGSS System

Post by Mike P »

One of the great strengths of our forum is our diverse membership. And amongst this membership are some pretty creative guys who come up with innovative ideas to add to the entire Excalibur crossbow experience. Well guys, that family is growing and there is another new product available that I think you will love.

I must go on record as not having a great deal of knowledge regarding the STS system that is advertised and commercially available. I read here in the forum that many alter this system by purchasing different aluminum "rods" and cutting them to a length better suited to fit the desired brace height.

I was very interested when Chris (New Guy) built his own system and incorporated a feature where the stoppers could be adjusted to the desired string brace height without the need to buy additional materials and fabricate new rods. Chris and I sent some PM's back and forth and I encouraged him to continue working with his design and offer it here on the forum as a product much like others such as groundpounder, crazy farmer, Boo, munch, etc.. etc.

I received my NGSS system last week and have played with it now for a while. And to say I am impressed would be an understatement. This system is perfect!

The rubber stoppers are adjustable to the desired contact with the string at the brace height you want via a simple rod that slides in and out of the mount and is secured by a set screw. You are able to change the length of the stoppers in a matter of seconds. No additional materials to purchase and no alterations are needed. You are good to go in about ten minutes from the time you open the package until you take your first shot. Simply amazing!

As you can see from the pictures I also am using a Boo string with the served on cat whiskers. Please note the dull drab color of the string was at my insistence and Don wanted to make me a good looking one but I wouldn't let him. The combination of the Boo string and the NGSS system has completely altered my Phoenix. It is like it is a different crossbow. The Phoenix always was a tack driver, that part didn't change. What did change was the noise and vibration. And it changed a lot! I even experimented with different arrows from light to heavy. You couldn't tell a lot of difference from light 2216 shafts and 100 gr. tips to heavy 2219's with 150 gr. tips.

And I read in another thread that Chris (New Guy) helped out another member with replacement rubber stoppers for the STS system so I assume he will have replacement stoppers for this system. I will let him comment about this and answer any technical questions regarding his product along with pricing.

My Phoenix is now equipped with a groundpounder mount, Boo string and NGSS system and I could not be happier. It is a testament to the innovative and creative members we have here on this forum.

Heck, I may even break down and get some crazy farmer arrows if he ever makes a breakthrough on that special Mike P edition that self destruct if you shoot at small bucks.

Here are some pictures.

This first one is a picture of the NGSS system installed on my Phoenix.

This is a picture of the rubber stopper and the rod that slides in and out of the mount and is secured with a set screw. Notice the rod has a flat where the set screw contacts the rod.

And last is a picture of my Boo string with the whiskers served on. This is a limited edition Mike P Turkey string and very few are available. They are sure to become collector items in the future so a word to the wise is order while you can.:lol:
Normous

Post by Normous »

I was waiting for a needed adjustable version to appear and it seems Chris has succeeded in finding and producing that niche. Is the attachment block aluminum to keep the weight down?
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Glad you made this review Mike, I thought they only fit the wheeled bows.. This is intriguing news. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Thank-you for the review Mike, I'm very happy you are happy. Enormous, Everything on my system is aluminum except for the setscrews.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I'm interested.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Looks like a useful product.
Grizz
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Also they are available for use with or without the Groundpounder mounts.
mikej

Post by mikej »

great review mike, new guy can they be made to fit the risers on the older bows?
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

What style is that, so far these are the only style other than the ones for Paradox/Maxpoint. I have an oler bow here but haven't had a chance to even brainstorm ideas for this style.
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

Good review thanks. How much is the system going for?
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Mike looks like you installed them in the right direction too :lol: He must have sent better instructions than me. Looks like a nice added feature to the design!
NewGuy Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:40 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also they are available for use with or without the Groundpounder mounts.
Looks like about the same mount as the STS so I would guess yes. Just needing the 1/4 " longer bolt than what I usually include.
Why ride when you can walk!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

groundpounder wrote: He must have sent better instructions than me.
Didn't come with instructions Todd, none were needed.

This was so simple even I could figure it out! :roll:
mikej

Post by mikej »

NewGuy wrote:What style is that, so far these are the only style other than the ones for Paradox/Maxpoint. I have an oler bow here but haven't had a chance to even brainstorm ideas for this style.
cast riser exocet165
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

These are going for $65 shipped in Canada.

mikej cast riser is one that i may work on in the near future. but i'm not sure if it will work or not. The only holes to mount to are the tapped holes on the top of the riser and i have not had a chance to even start thinking up a design.
Last edited by NewGuy on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

LOL @ Mike :D :P

ive been holding out on the STS system... looks like it may have been a wise choice now;) I will get this, but probably not untill season gets closer. My xbows still sleeping from the harsh work this past fall. She gets cranky if I wake her up and shoot her to soon :P