Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
liaf

Post by liaf »

Thats great news and seeing that I live about 10 miles from the Jersey border I may be able to use my crossbow in 2009-2010. Need to find some state land near me so I can hunt NJ for winter bow.
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

2009-2012 Game Code Amendments Adopted by Fish and Game Council

June 17, 2009

On Tuesday, June 16, the New Jersey Fish and Game Council voted on adopting proposed amendments to the 2009 – 2012 Game Code. The Council voted to adopt all the proposed amendments except amendment 29, which proposed boundary changes to Deer Management Zones 19 and 23. The full proposal containing the amendments can be viewed at www.nj.gov/dep/rules/proposals/040609b.pdf (PDF) on the NJ DEP website.

The most significant amendment adopted expands the definition of "bow" by removing the prohibition on all draw locking and draw holding devices and by including crossbows in the definition. This allows the use of crossbows in any bow and arrow hunting season and other hunting seasons for all species where the use of bow and arrow is allowed. Crossbows must have a minumum draw weight of 75 pounds and a minimum stock length of 25 inches.

This amendment, in addition to the recently passed law allowing Sunday bow and arrow deer hunting on Wildlife Management Areas and private property, is expected to increase participation in New Jersey bow and arrow hunting seasons. Hunters who have never purchased a New Jersey bow and arrow hunting license or have not purchased one prior to the implementation of the electronic licensing system must present one of the following to purchase a license: 1) a hunter education archery certificate, or 2) a prior year resident bow and arrow license (from NJ or any other state), or 3) a prior year nonresident NJ bow and arrow license. Information on hunter education requirements for bow and arrow hunting and hunter education session schedules can be obtained at www.njfishandwildlife.com/hunted.htm.

The 2009 – 2012 Game Code becomes law five days after it is published in the New Jersey Register. Hunters are advised to consult the NJ Division of Fish and Game website for updates on the Game Code publication date and effective date of the amended Code.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
mikej

Post by mikej »

thanks for the info woody
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Popacap

Post by Popacap »

That is great news njxbow!
Has anyone heard if Missouri is talking about rewriting our bow laws? Just does not make sense to me why anyone would classify a crossbow in the same category as a 30-06 or even a .22 for hunting. If you had shot them you wouldn't think that. If you had hunted with them you would probably laugh at that evaluation. Are our lawmakers intelligent enough to know the difference between gunpowder and arrows? If not; why not get new lawmakers? I went down to the range 2 days ago and 8 bow hunters showed up. First time I have seen anyone down there. They spent the first 30 minutes checking out the Excal and seeing what it was about while paying money per hour to be shooting the bows they brought. It was like it was a new weapon to them. I think it is sad alot of people look at the crossbow as a new weapon due to its restriction throughout the country most of the year. Does anyone have a history lesson on how and when these crossbow laws came to be? Was it a federal law accepted by the states or did each state come up with this on their own? I have to do some research and see what I can find. It gives you "home state hunting hope" to see NJ, AR and other states fixing legislatures mistakes.
2009 Vortex
lumizone
Excel string
125 grn F3 Trophy Ridge broadheads
Firebolt arrows
animal

Post by animal »

First thanks all for your support . It may still be raining outside today. But it feels sunny now . Does this mean I can bring my excal to a 3-D shoot :shock: :?: :D happy hunting and good memories to all :!:
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

I can't wait for fall. I am so glad they did this for this coming fall season so I can get my StrykeForce out and draw some blood. Its going to be fun to see how many crossbows will be out there this year.

I will be proud to show that I am a Crossbow hunter.

What will make this even better is seeing some of the older guys in my hunting club to be able to get out and enjoy archery that they used to enjoy but had to stop do to getting up in age. I wish them all the best for this year and years to come.

Brian
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
kmtpr

Post by kmtpr »

njxbow, thanks for announcing this historical news. :D

Woody Williams, Thanks for posting the official announcement. :D

Had been in the midst of things for m/t 3 yrs, and was great to see the Council members do the right thing based on facts and not emotions. :wink:
Am a non-hunting woman who supports hunting and crossbows!

I rather be hated for standing up for what I believe in, than be popular by going against my beliefs.

NRA Golden Eagles & ILA, NJOA