mikej

Post by mikej »

If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

A doe at 4 yards with my phoenix..ran about 15 yards
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

About 5 feet. I was walking down a trail through waist high grass and noticed a spot that was flattened down in the grass. It was no more than 20 feet from a truck path that bordered the woods. When I got to within 5 feet I could see the brown of a deers' spine. My first thought was that it was a dead deer that a fellow hunter had found and discarded. Our hunting club was still looking for one that had been wounded a few days prior. I couldn't decide to shoot or not. I would feel really stupid shooting a carcass. I figured it would be even more stupid to step on a deer and not get a shot. I spine shot it at 5 feet with my compound. It ended up being a nice young tasty doe that had just picked that spot to bed down.

A few years later I set up my stand ON a trail. It wasn't by choice, it was just the only tree suitable for a stand within 50 yards. The trail actually crossed the roots of my tree. A doe caught me off guard and got in too close on me. Picture me standing at full draw with my compound bow trying to shoot almost straight down off the left side of my stand. The doe kept walking and I was aiming straight down my left side. I noticed that my arrow was falling UP off of my two-prong rest. I had to hold the arrow on the rest with my finger to take the shot. I just missed the spine. I recovered her a short while later. Total distance: 20 feet

DuckHunt
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

10ft, fork horn walked right up to my stand and looked up,old jennings lighting sent the snuffer through it's skull, zero recovery.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Chris Dillard

Post by Chris Dillard »

My closest and first bow kill was on a Halloween afternoon a young doe walked under my stand at 5 yards. The broadhead severed her spine and she expired in her tracks. It was a magical hunt.
2014 Vixen II
2006 Exomax
7magman

Post by 7magman »

about 15 or so years ago i was hunting a high spot in a flooded marsh when big doe walked up to me. i was 10 feet up and she was 2 yards from me. shot through front shoulder with my 92 lb hoyt fps plus 2216 tipped with a 125gr thunderhead. recovered less than 40 yards. this why i love archery the closer the better. i once figured that my average shot on a deer was under 12 yards.
mikej

Post by mikej »

this thread is going to get popular
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective