Sighting in the varizone scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Prorudy

Sighting in the varizone scope

Post by Prorudy »

While sighting in the the vortex today with 360gr arrows i zeroed it in at 20yds like the instructions say, then i shot at 50yds adjusted the speed ring to 330fps to bring the 50yd post on target.So being curios decided to make sure the 20 was still on, now arrows hitting 1-1/2" high at 20 so made 2 clicks down on scope back on target, went back to 50 again arrows hitting 4" low. Know amount of adjusting the speed ring will make these arrows hit at 20 and -50yds . arrows will group 1/2" at 20 and 1-1/2" at fifty so i am getting great consistency,i might add i have 30years behind a crossbow, just wondering if any other hard core shooters have had this problem. Could it be the spacing of the posts were calculated with a heavier arrow?
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Just a guess, but is your bheight changing some w/ new string? Which string? Those new strings breaking in can drive you nuts, leave it cocked overnight a time or two to speed the process up. FFF is worst of all for that, in my experience.

I've found that once you get the 20 on, don't use the elev turret anymore helps alot. Another tip is the closer you get to that nirvana of all ranges being 'on' the tiny adjustments to the speed ring are the key.

The speed ring adj are never going to affect your crosshair poi, only the turrets go that. The speed ring 'speeds' aren't always real accurate, more of a diff guage than a cheap chrony, fwiw. [IMHO]

Have fun!
"Eze 18:21"
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Unless your shooting 3d, no need to worry about ranging what your hunting,the arrow will be in the kill zone. good for you :)

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Prorudy

Post by Prorudy »

This set up is strictly used just for 3d,it is a ff string but has been on the bow now for 2 1/2 months with the brace height allways monitered.Have any of you rechecked your 20 after getting your speed ring adjusted to 50yds?
Popacap

Post by Popacap »

What exactly is brace height and what should it be? The exact same thing has happened to me at the static range with my scope. I use the Excel string and have made about 200 shots with it. But like my Dad and Limbs and Bolts said "it will still be in the kill zone."
2009 Vortex
lumizone
Excel string
125 grn F3 Trophy Ridge broadheads
Firebolt arrows
DMc

Post by DMc »

Prorudy, I would check for something loose. What you described does not make sense. The crosshairs are only controlled by the turrets and the speed ring only changes magnification.

So logically neither one will affect the other. Even if your arrow flies non-typical, by adjusting the magnification of the speed ring, you should be able to get perfect shot placements at 20 and 50 yards.

Dave
DMc

Post by DMc »

I just reread my post and I'm not sure I was clear. My point is that if you're zeroed in accurately at 20 yards, changing the magnification should have no affect on the crosshair positioning.

If it does, there is something wrong.

Dave
lscha

Post by lscha »

I just got a new string and had to adjust my scope because my bow is now a little faster. I sighted in at 20 and it was good for 30 but was actually hitting high at 40 and 50. I started messing with the clicks. Put it away and started again the next day because there was a bit of wind. Next day: right on at 20, 30 and high at 40 and 50. Then I remembered (when I was supposed to be sleeping) that I did not adjust my speed ring when I changed my string, so I put the clicks back to where I was hitting high at 50 and put the speed ring where I thought it should be and tried again at 50. Closer. I ended up setting the speed ring almost 20+ faster than my chrony said. Right on at 50 yards. I moved the target back to 20 and right on! I'm back to outshooting my husband again. :lol: :lol:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Popacap

Post by Popacap »

lscha wrote:I just got a new string and had to adjust my scope because my bow is now a little faster. I sighted in at 20 and it was good for 30 but was actually hitting high at 40 and 50. I started messing with the clicks. Put it away and started again the next day because there was a bit of wind. Next day: right on at 20, 30 and high at 40 and 50. Then I remembered (when I was supposed to be sleeping) that I did not adjust my speed ring when I changed my string, so I put the clicks back to where I was hitting high at 50 and put the speed ring where I thought it should be and tried again at 50. Closer. I ended up setting the speed ring almost 20+ faster than my chrony said. Right on at 50 yards. I moved the target back to 20 and right on! I'm back to outshooting my husband again. :lol: :lol:
That feels Good! Wish my wife wanted to shoot. Maybe one day. Trying to get her to try the 22. rifle.
2009 Vortex
lumizone
Excel string
125 grn F3 Trophy Ridge broadheads
Firebolt arrows
Prorudy

Post by Prorudy »

Thanx for the input will be shooting tomorrow if the rain holds off.