Any word on January Extension for whitetails ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Vic

Any word on January Extension for whitetails ?

Post by Vic »

Is there any new information on Mnr extending the whitetail deer season to january 31 for ontario residents ? if so i better step up and get some snow shoes...

Vic N.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

there will be no january hunt. it was in may or junes ontario out of doors.

i wouldnt agree with a january hunt if it included does as some of them get bred early...
Fox

Post by Fox »

Some of them are bred in October and most in November, so you are already shooting expecting does in December. Another 15 days would not hurt anything, except in areas where they yard up early, hense the difference in end dates the further you move north.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

:cry: I was looking forward to an extended season. I agree that an extra few days does not make a doe untouchable.I dont pretend to know all the politics behind the decision, but am disappointed. Not to often does the mnr give, they usually take away. My opinion only :wink:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

bucks tend to loose their antlers in late dec jan...i think and hope they felt too many bucks would be shot which would not be a good management move for the herd ....

[quote="Fox"]Some of them are bred in October and most in November, so you are already shooting expecting does in December. Another 15 days would not hurt anything, except in areas where they yard up early, hense the difference in end dates the further you move north.[/quote]
Tom

Post by Tom »

ch312 wrote:................................
i wouldnt agree with a january hunt if it included does as some of them get bred early...
I think that some of you are forgetting why they are looking to extend the deer season in certain areas. It is because they currently have too many deer in that area. Actually some many deer that they are a problem with car accidents and crop damage.

They would not be upset with the shooting a pregnant doe as that would eliminate more problem deer from the area. BTW, my dad had shot a deer that was taken into the local MNR (1st week Nov) and they told him she was pregnant. Also the MNR takes into account this factor when they issue antlerless tags and expects them to be harvested.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]