What Accessories for Exocet?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bkisel

What Accessories for Exocet?

Post by bkisel »

Hi,
I’m considering buying a crossbow and have pretty much decided that if I do it’d be the Exocet model. What I’m not sure of is what accessories to get with the bow. Checking the internet shows me that there are several packages/kits available that can be bought with the bow. The Right Stuff package is of particular interest to me but I’m confused about the difference in the two scopes that are available. The arrows that come with the package talk about 150 gr. field tips and BHs which concerns me somewhat as I couldn’t just walk into a regular archery shop and get such heavy tips and BHs. I think that I’d want to eventually be able to put my own arrows together with more readily available components that what I think come with the Right Stuff package.

So… For cb hunting, which is now legal in PA archery seasons on a trial basis, how should I accessorize the Exocet particularly with respect to the two scopes available and arrows for hunting (Turkey & Deer) as opposed to target shooting.

Probably more questions to follow if that’s OK with you guys.

Take care…
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Lumizone - all the bells and whistles(lights up if you need it). But its heavy. Works well and I have one on my bow now

Varizone - orginial scope that the lumizone is based on. Its lighter and works just as well. I had one and loved it. If I did it over again, I'd just get the varizone for weight reasons and plus I tend to leave the lumizone on so the batteries go dead.

arrows - Any flat end nock arrows 20-22inch will work just fine on these bows. I perferr the gold tip laser 2's or firebolts that come with the package now. Both will get the job done and then some. Gold tip offers more weights and etc for their arrows so if you plan on working your own, those would be my choice.

bheads - the 150grain bolt cutters are what excal offers. They work very well. But a 100-125grain head works just as well. Most of us shoot 100-125grain ones. Slick tricks, wasp, muzzy, rage and numerous others work great. The big plus of the 150grain head is changing your FOC if your arrow has a low FOC of say 10%. It would help with better flight, but of coarse you lose speed and the arrow drops quicker.

I personally ordered the stringing aid, scope, and rope cocker seperate. I also picked up my quiver and mount seperate. Even got a string seperate. I saved about 100 bucks with a few deals. But if you want everything at once, you cant beat the kit.

I make my own arrows so I didnt get the kit ones either :P

hope that helps
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

First and foremost bkisel, welcome to the forum. You will find it a most comfortable place to visit.

Second, I will let our "techy" guys inform you about arrows and scopes.

And last, it is my opinion that every new shooter of an Excalibur crossbow should consider the purchase of the NGSS system to save yourself from any possible damage should you happen to dry fire your new bow.

Good luck with those loony legislators in your home state.

And of course, bad luck to those dastardly commie bedwetting steelers. :lol:
animal

Re: What Accessories for Exocet?

Post by animal »

bkisel wrote:Hi,
I’m considering buying a crossbow and have pretty much decided that if I do it’d be the Exocet model. What I’m not sure of is what accessories to get with the bow. Checking the internet shows me that there are several packages/kits available that can be bought with the bow. The Right Stuff package is of particular interest to me but I’m confused about the difference in the two scopes that are available. The arrows that come with the package talk about 150 gr. field tips and BHs which concerns me somewhat as I couldn’t just walk into a regular archery shop and get such heavy tips and BHs. I think that I’d want to eventually be able to put my own arrows together with more readily available components that what I think come with the Right Stuff package.

So… For cb hunting, which is now legal in PA archery seasons on a trial basis, how should I accessorize the Exocet particularly with respect to the two scopes available and arrows for hunting (Turkey & Deer) as opposed to target shooting.

Probably more questions to follow if that’s OK with you guys.

Take care…

bkisel , welcome to the best crossbow site , I use the exocet and just love it , but all the crossbows excalibur makes are very good . in other words you can't go wrong . About the package ones aluminated scope and ones not , I have the one thats not but works good for me :D
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the Forum Great people and LOTS of Knowledge. I bought the Right stuff package its a Great start then you can customize as you go. I decided on the lumizone scope but had no issues with the verizone just my personel preferance. Good Luck on your choice.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Thanks for the welcome and info.

What is the approx. weight difference between the two scopes? If the battery goes dead is the scope still usable?

What is the NGSS system?

Take care...
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

bkisel wrote: What is the NGSS system?
Take a look here http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=26710
mikej

Post by mikej »

if the battery goes dead it would act as a regular scope
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
mikej

Post by mikej »

If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Couple of more questions...

Is a sling worth considering? The few places I hunt don't require more than a 20-30 minute hike to get to my stand. Most, but not all, of my hunting is from a tree stand so would a sling just get in my way?

Is the quiver easily detachable? I've used bow quivers but always remove them once I'm in my stand or blind will I be able to do the same with the Excalibur CB quiver?

My climber is without a rail which I feel has been a plus especially when going out with my longbow but would a stand with a rail be better for a CB because you could use it to help steady your shot?

Any special considerations I need to be aware of when I occasionally hunt from a ground blind?

Thanks a bunch...
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Oh, another question, is XBOWSPLUS a good place to order from? Their prices seem decent and the shipping would be free.

Thanks...
lscha

Post by lscha »

bkisel wrote:Couple of more questions...

Is a sling worth considering? The few places I hunt don't require more than a 20-30 minute hike to get to my stand. Most, but not all, of my hunting is from a tree stand so would a sling just get in my way?

Is the quiver easily detachable? I've used bow quivers but always remove them once I'm in my stand or blind will I be able to do the same with the Excalibur CB quiver?

My climber is without a rail which I feel has been a plus especially when going out with my longbow but would a stand with a rail be better for a CB because you could use it to help steady your shot?

Any special considerations I need to be aware of when I occasionally hunt from a ground blind?

Thanks a bunch...
I like a sling. Arms get tired carrying anything for too long. I also got an idea from another site to mount the sling mount on the side of the stock and carry the bow pointing down. More comfortable.

Quivers are easily detatchable. I take mine off too.

Check out the Horton knee pod for steadying your shot. Cheap, light, swivels and is adjustable.

Watch that your limbs don't contact anything during a shot while hunting from any blind or tree stand. You could launch to places you don't want to go. :lol:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

bkisel wrote:Couple of more questions...

Thanks a bunch...
Yes the quiver is detachable.

Yes the rail helps. I hunt out of a couple buddy ladder stands and it helps me lots to steady my shot.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

I didn't get the package when I purchased my Vortex. It is comprable to the Exocet, but has a thumb hole stock. Then came the purchase of a scope, strings, quiver, quiver mount, string supressor system. I wanted to customize the bow, not outfit it. But there have been times when I have re-thought my decision.

You have some time, search and read, search and read. You may even pick another bow based on what you read. Not everything is obvious- BUT you can believe in what is written here. Everything I read was true and accurate, not hype. The bow will be accurate out of the box, and later will clean the clock of your local buck.

I highly recommend that you read as much as you can before you get started..... and keep your thunb below the rail at all times. :wink:
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Undertaker wrote:I didn't get the package when I purchased my Vortex. It is comprable to the Exocet, but has a thumb hole stock. Then came the purchase of a scope, strings, quiver, quiver mount, string supressor system. I wanted to customize the bow, not outfit it. But there have been times when I have re-thought my decision.

You have some time, search and read, search and read. You may even pick another bow based on what you read. Not everything is obvious- BUT you can believe in what is written here. Everything I read was true and accurate, not hype. The bow will be accurate out of the box, and later will clean the clock of your local buck.

I highly recommend that you read as much as you can before you get started..... and keep your thunb below the rail at all times. :wink:

What, no forestock safety!! :)