2 Tails 1 Head, 2 Heads 1 Tail, 3 Tails!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bkisel

2 Tails 1 Head, 2 Heads 1 Tail, 3 Tails!

Post by bkisel »

OK so here I am approaching my 65th birthday and my wife says something like “Well, which would you prefer a party or a new toy?”. Without hesitation a new “toy” says I. So what’ll be a Glock 19, Marlin .44 mag. Lever action, .54 cal. Flintlock or the Monsterbow Dragon (http://monsterbows.com/monster/Page7.html)? All was initially settled pretty quickly, I’d get the Dragon just need to spend some time on Monsterbow’s forum and get some questions answered. Well in checking dates for getting PA’s Anterless Permit I’m reminded of the PA Game Commission now allowing Crossbows in the early and late Archery Seasons. Though my first love is traditional archery I’m into several of the shooting sports and have even enjoyed shooting and taking deer with a compound bow (owned two in the past). So hey, why not consider getting a crossbow to hunt with?

Well back and forth I go Monsterbow, no Excalibur (for reason you guys already know I quickly decided it must be an Excalibur) , no Monsterbow, no… Nearly drove my wife and son crazy with one minute I’m getting a vertical bow and the next minute getting a crossbow. Spent hours researching and running the pros and cons of each choice but to no avail. Out of desperation I decided to flip coins – really, not kidding - to decide. Decided to toss 3 quarters at once , when/if I first got 3 heads I’d get the Monster Dragon, 3 tails and I get the Excalibur Exocet. So thus the title of this topic “2 Tails 1 Head, 2 Heads 1 Tail, 3 Tails!” because that’s how the coin toss played out.

Please indulge me in asking a few more questions (Ref. Topic What Accessories for Exocet?)…

I believe I want the Exocet because its right in the middle of the performance range (plenty for deer and turkey I’m sure) and not owning any thumbhole rifle stocks figured I’d stay with something familiar. Any reason I should consider the Vortex over the Exocet?

Where or to whom should I go to purchase the bow and accessories? It’ll be a large purchase and so wouldn’t mind spending a few extra bucks to support a particularly supportive Excalibur dealer. My Googling has lead me to one site, www.xbowsplus.com, that seems to have reasonable prices and includes free shipping. What do you recommend?

Hope to be posting soon about what I’ve finally ordered.

Thanks…
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

First off WELCOME to the forum. I suggest you go to a dealer and check out the different models. I shoot the vortex and love it .I also am very happy with the thumb hole stock. You should try one out you may just like it. It does make handling much easier . IMO No matter which you choose you made the right choice.

SPITFIRE
I am a hunter and proud of it.
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Welcome, everything he said,try them all

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Guy with "American Archery" on Ebay usually has really good prices. He is who I purchased my Exocet from but for me he is local.
Why ride when you can walk!
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Buy the Excaliber!! oh you allready have that decided who you buy from really does not matter the bow is the best you can get how much is peace of mind worth :lol:
The best things in life are not things!!
mikej

Post by mikej »

like stated above try them all and see what you like best. if you are looking for a dealer with great support you can't go wrong with danny miller
Last edited by mikej on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Welcome to the forum, Bkisel! :D :D
Grizz
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

SPITFIRE wrote:First off WELCOME to the forum. I suggest you go to a dealer and check out the different models. I shoot the vortex and love it .I also am very happy with the thumb hole stock. You should try one out you may just like it. It does make handling much easier . IMO No matter which you choose you made the right choice.
SPITFIRE
Spitfire,

Please expound on your statement "It does make handling much easier.". I accept that'll just be your opinion and that others might differ. That's OK with me as I'd really like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks...

Others,

Cabela's carries several brands of crossbows including several Excalibur models but I couldn't bring myself to shooting some there believing that I'm likely to buy elsewhere. Now if one of you folks were kind enough to send me say a $100.00 Cabela's gift card it could change my mind. :D

Take care...
animal

Post by animal »

bkisel , If you live in the USA try this site they have some very good deals :D http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200
animal

Post by animal »

also WELCOME
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200
sumner4991

Re: 2 Tails 1 Head, 2 Heads 1 Tail, 3 Tails!

Post by sumner4991 »

bkisel wrote: “2 Tails 1 Head, 2 Heads 1 Tail, 3 Tails!” because that’s how the coin toss played out.
Wow . . .the luckiest day in your life at the age of 65. Congratulations! There are better days ahead with that Excalibur in your hands. :D

Welcome!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome bkisel :D
I agree with handling and or shooting as many xcals as you can to see what you like,if you can.
I have only owned the #225's so don't know about the others personaly.

I would recomend getting a lot of your Acc from the forum members here.
Strings,quiver mounts,arrows,String Suppressor system.

Also,if you look in members signatures, a lot list what they shoot.I'm sure a quick PM and they will tell you why they shoot it.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

bkisel, With the thumb hole stock your hand is in a straight line with the trigger, it feels much more comfortable to me than placeing your thumb over the stock. I do a lot of pistol shooting and the feel is similar. Just my opinion, try one out and you will see what I mean. To me it makes holding the crossbow much easier/steadier for the shot.

SPITFIRE
I am a hunter and proud of it.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

About the thumb-hole stock - the familiarity and comfort can depend on the size of your hand. I like it, but it feels a bit awkward for me with a smaller hand, especially in working the safety.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.