Mineral Licks and PA Game Laws???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dlzinck

Mineral Licks and PA Game Laws???

Post by dlzinck »

Getting ready to put out a few mineral licks. Going to use C'mere Deer and Deer Cane both in granular form on the ground to see which one works best.

My question is... PA Law says all bait (minerals included) including traces must be removed 30 days prior to hunting an area. Since I obviously won't be going out and dig out a bunch of extra dirt and haul it away.... How does the PAGC determine if there is a trace left? Will just the hole in the ground (assuming it works) make me guilty? Will they test the soil?

Thanks Folks!!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

In most jurisdictions, "trace' means trace.

If you hunt in proximity to a baited area with a trace of the baiting agent in evidence, then you're guilty, in most states.

No need to depend on this forum for that answer, though ... just ask your local game warden. It's his job to help you understand the rules. He'll be glad to let you know.

Enjoy your baiting while and where it's legal! :D
Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

you might gave better luck thatn most using the cmere deer stuff but 95% of everyone Ive talked to about it had no luck at all. Most deer smell it and run since they arent use to it. Now on the TV shows where they hunt ranches and etc it works. Just dont believe everything you see on TV;)

Salt and mineral licks are ideal because they actaully help the deer grow and get healthy. If you put those out, just make sure its no block letf there after the 30day limit.

As for the cmere, its probably going to still be trace in the soil. So just use to your best opinion. As said, contact a game warden there if you have questions.

With bait, its always something to look out for. One reason we dont use it here in Va. Goodluck :D
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I would ask your local Game Warden. Better to be safe than SORRY.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
PaJack

Post by PaJack »

The PGC is N-E-V-E-R going to check the ground for "trace" evidence,they work for the state... :lol:
Hunt Safe,
Jack
Blood on the floor

Post by Blood on the floor »

After a serious accident, I didn`t hunt hunt for 40 years. Moved to WI. Found a hunt buddy 5 yrs ago and discovered EXCAL two yrs ago.
Back to the question - 40 yrs. ago in MN. You can`t hunt or shoot within 100 yards of A "known" feeding station or mineral lick. The idea was - if you hunt don`t feed - if you feed don`t hunt. My how things change.
Here`s to blood onthe floor.
mark 10 :13
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, BLOOD! :D :D
Grizz
lscha

Post by lscha »

WELCOME Blood! Image
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the forum, Blood.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
mikej

Post by mikej »

i would check with a game warden also, as for deer cane and cmere deer i wasted my money on both with absolutely no luck what so ever. never again. the only thing i have seen to work as advertised was the buck bomb
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome to the form Blood on the floor
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
dlzinck

Post by dlzinck »

PaJack wrote:The PGC is N-E-V-E-R going to check the ground for "trace" evidence,they work for the state... :lol:
...hmmm assume the worst from a government agency. Makes sense...

So they won't check for trace evidence... they'lll just site me for hunting over bait without any evidence!!!
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

I have found two minerals to be the best, Lucky Buck, and Heartlands whitetail antler magic. I would use one or both of these instead of what your thinking of using. I've had much better luck!
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

that is illegal in pa to use, and they do check baited areas out....i know this how, i have a buddy in the PGC that follows up on this stuff in ernest....once it is found to be a baited area it's off limits till 30 days in a 300 yard radius, not worth losing that much ground to hunt...............bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
dlzinck

Post by dlzinck »

bob1961 wrote:that is illegal in pa to use, and they do check baited areas out....i know this how, i have a buddy in the PGC that follows up on this stuff in ernest....once it is found to be a baited area it's off limits till 30 days in a 300 yard radius, not worth losing that much ground to hunt...............bob

Maybe I wasn't clear in my question. I am considering putting this out now. Bow hunting doesn't start until Oct. 3rd (I think). I'll also be planting a food plot in the area which is legal to hunt over. The idea is to get them used to comming to the area, then continue to come to use the food plot.

Will the TRACE minerals be a problem as the area hasn't been baited for 75 days or so?