Anybody watch lunar tables for hunting/fishing?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Anybody watch lunar tables for hunting/fishing?

Post by Pydpiper »

Just curious, I have been keeping a very close eye on them this year to see how it lines up with active times in the bush or on the water.
I have to say that so far I am pretty impressed, unless there is an odd front moving through the animals move like clockwork. I haven't tried watching the deer too close yet but the movement I do see corresponds with the tables. Fish seem to respond to it regardless of weather, so do coyotes.

My old camo Timex ticked it's last tick so I went off looking for a new watch. Found Casio makes a Hunting watch, after entering in your geographical location it calculates a lot of good info, including the lunar table. At any given time it will display a graph as to a "predicted" feeding time, a scale of 0-4, vibrates to alert peak times as well as vibrates to indicate sunset and rise. Each vibration is different.

So, each time I see animals I glance at the watch to see what it is saying, and each time I see animals the watch indicates 3-4. I hunt or fish every day, so I am getting a lot of time to compare against the lunar table, it is almost bizarre how close they intertwined with what I see.
Last night I was very tired but the tables indicated a good time to be outdoors. I parked my truck along some tracks, walked 10 feet then laid down with my rifle to see what was going to happen. Like clockwork for almost 45 minutes I could see a game animal at any moment. Deer walking back and fourth across the tracks, turkeys, fox and even a stray cat.
The week before my son and I hit a pond with the canoe, watch said it was a great time, he caught 44 small-mouth in a little over an hour.
Watching the tables almost feels like a superstition, but there just seems to be to tight of a relationship for me not to believe it. It was awshucks that first told me about for fishing a couple years ago, I wish I had known about it longer.

Anyone else ever watch to see how it affects hunting or fishing?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I watch the moon before the rut PYD, there's a problem our tides on the eastern seaboard have been running 2ft above norm all yr, the moon controls the tides not any more, science is having a problem with a answer?

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Coffee Break

Post by Coffee Break »

I watch the lunar tables sometimes its right for me and sometimes it's not, but I look at it anyway. But Don't Laugh I would watch the cows for fishing when I use to fish a lot. If the cows were eating the fish were bitting and if there were feeding in the bottoms the fish would be deep and higher on the hill they would be shallow. I can hear you laughing!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

bstout wrote:Whitetail deer are crepuscular critters meaning they're most active just before dawn and just before dusk.
Bob, you're technically right, but here's an interesting personal observation:

My house is situated in the middle of a 65 acre field, with more than 150,000 contiguous acres of swamp, woods and pocosin to the the west and a 250 acre block of woods to the east, and more than 5000 acres of cropland around ... so we have a LOT of wildlife.

I see more deer between 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM than I do at first light or dusk. I do see deer early and late, but I see more during mid-day. Always have.

I think many hunters are unaware of just how active deer are at mid-day.

I know you've got a lot of fields around, Bob. What do you see?

I do think that the moon affects wildlife behavior. I've always been more successful during dark-of-the-moon days than full-moon days. And I know this: I do not sleep well during full-moon periods ... and it's not moonlight, either. Our bedroom is a reinforced "hurricane-safe" room without windows, in the middle of the house! :D
Grizz
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Thats the only way I hunt the past 15 years.unless I'm away on a hunt then is all day hunts. If you need understanding I can enlighten you

Here is the best table
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php

There is a lot to this you should be able to pull up some archives under moon transits
lscha

Post by lscha »

I've checked those tables in the past and like to believe in them. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but I'll always be more diligent watching when the tables say I should! :lol:

Since my recent interest in coyotes, however, I have been paying attention and found they definitely howl more during a waning moon for a few days around my house. Coincidence, maybe, but I enjoy keeping track.

Edit: maybe I should clarify that even if the tables say "no good" I'm still out there.
Last edited by lscha on Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

mdcrossbow wrote:Thats the only way I hunt the past 15 years.unless I'm away on a hunt then is all day hunts. If you need understanding I can enlighten you

Here is the best table
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php

There is a lot to this you should be able to pull up some archives under moon transits
Xs 2 only I have been watching fo 30yrs. THEY WORK.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

bstout wrote:My nearest neighbor is almost a mile away and my house is 1/2 mile off the road.
That's me, too! I live at the end of a mile-long dead-end road, our nearest neighbor is at the other end of that road. There is one other place two miles north, but we're the only three for many miles. No one to the west at all, for many miles!

This is living, isn't it? :D 8) :cry:
Grizz
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

The moon controls more than one thinks, anyone who has worked bars or nite clubs hated a full moon people get weird and so animals, unless I've been wrong for 40+ YRS the rut is brought in on the shortness of day lite hours on a new moon, best hunting has always been 10days before, during and 10days after new moon this is what I've gone by works for me. Grizz your right I've killed 75% of my deer between ten and two, the woods are peaceful :) I see deer here all day long I'm off the road like you guys :wink.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
mikej

Post by mikej »

i never have, but i will start watching them a bit now to try it for myself. its time for a new watch where is this one available david?
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

mikej wrote:i never have, but i will start watching them a bit now to try it for myself. its time for a new watch where is this one available david?
This is the watch I bought Mike, got mine off EBAY.

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece ... AS410B-5V/
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I dont use any tables.. I just hunt when high pressure systems are over me :D Alos, when the moon is in the sky, during the day Im also hunting. Deer tend to feed under the moon at night since they can see better. One reason its bad to hunt during a full moon is because deer feed midday and at night.

nothing beats the moon over head and a high pressure system moving in :lol: :D its something about that cool dry air :lol:
hawg hunter

lunar tables

Post by hawg hunter »

I've used the tables for the last few yrs. I have always been told by the old timers around here that if you want to killa big buck hunt between 10 am and 2 pm. The lunar tables reflect this with there major and minors.
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Pyd that's a good price on that watch, there usually high dollar hope it does what it supposed to

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Pydpiper

Re: post sub

Post by Pydpiper »

Limbs and Bolts wrote:Pyd that's a good price on that watch, there usually high dollar hope it does what it supposed to

Wes
It works perfect, keeps track of sunrise/sunset times right to the second, plus the lunar table. You can enter any date you want and it will calculate that too. I have checked it to other tables on may occasions, it is always right.
Off the tables and about that watch.. One other cool thing it does is when you lift it to check the time it automatically turns on the back light. :D
WMU 91
Boo string