In need of info. on a deer rifle......

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cdup

In need of info. on a deer rifle......

Post by cdup »

I'm in the market for a new rifle. A particular rifle caught my attention while watching a hunting show on the outdoor network. They was hunting whitetail down in Mexico and was using this certain calibur. I miss the size of it,but they stated they was using a 100g bullet and it travel speed exceeding 4000 ft per second. If anyone has any idea what it may be I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!
Respect everyone, but fear no one
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Well, this is just a guess, but the only useful cartridge I know of that will do 4,000+ fps. at the muzzle with a 100 grain bullet and is used for deer-sized game is the .257 Ferguson Hot Tamale:

http://www.2joutfitters.com/STWrifle.htm
Grizz
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I used the 100 grain in my .270 for years. Speeds approached 4000. Same trajectory as the .243 with a 60 grain bullet if I remember correctly.

That was one flat shooting, hard hitting set-up.

I switched to the 130 grain bullet recently because access to the 100 grain shell in the rural areas was impossible . . .I was always running out of shells at the most inconsiderate times. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

More importantly than the speed is what you're going to be doing with the rifle. Are you going to be using it strictly for deer or varmits also? What kind of stuff do you hunt in?
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
spiwonka

Post by spiwonka »

I also think it was the .257 Ferguson Hot Tamale, which is one mean caliber. My friend was at the local range and a fella was there and he had one of Fergusons custom rifles in the .257. At 100 yards using his loading data and his Hot Tamale rifle he put five shots into one ragged hole at 100. If I remmber correctly he said 2" high at 100 put it 3" low at 400 and less then a foot at 500. Talking about smoking. I live about 20 miles from Fergusons shop, but have never decided to drop that kind of money on a rifle. I was almost going to go complete custom like the Ferguson rifle, before I bought the Kimber Montana in .308 winchester. I was also looking at www.riflesinc.com for a ultralight custom rifle . I decided to get the Montana and I'm more then happy with it. Rifle, Talley ultralight mounts, Leupold vx-3 3.5-10x40mm, sling and four shells bring this rifle in at 6lb. 8 oz ready to hunt. Federal Fusion 150 grain ammo comes in under a inch or less at hundred every time.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Very nice rifles, Spiwonka.

I do some beanfield hunting myself, and greatly appreciate the precision with which an accurate rifle can dispatch deer.

I'm for anything that makes hunting more precise and humane, including our tricked-out, scope-sighted Excalibur crossbows! :D
Grizz
mikej

Post by mikej »

a 270 or 270 short mag could get to those velocities with a 100 grain bullet
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
TPM

Post by TPM »

What does a 100 grain bullet traveling at those speeds look like when you recover it from a deer? Does the bullet hold together enough for good penetration? I understand the down range accuracy and I understand the hyper speeds for varmit hunting but what about deer hunting? I still have the images in my head of a deer a hunting partner shot with a hyper .270 load at about 50 yards. The bullet flew apart on impact and while it dropped pretty cleanly we were picking lead and copper jacket fragments out of the meat from front to back.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

TPM wrote:What does a 100 grain bullet traveling at those speeds look like when you recover it from a deer? Does the bullet hold together enough for good penetration?
Couldn't say, Tim!

I've always been a .30-'06 man myself. 8) :P

Have poleaxed a few with a .243, though. I was very impressed ... but I think even the bullets in the cartridges I was using were heavier than 100 grains ... it was a borrowed rifle. Mine was loaned out on a bear hunt ... and she killed one, too! :lol: :lol:
Grizz
cdup

Post by cdup »

Big58cal wrote:More importantly than the speed is what you're going to be doing with the rifle. Are you going to be using it strictly for deer or varmits also? What kind of stuff do you hunt in?

Just curious about the rifle, I like having options before I decide on what I'm going to go with. I have a 308(open sites)now and had a 270 in the past. It will be mainly used for deer. Whatever I decide, it be used down in the marsh at times(300yds + shot, but only really feel comf. shooting no more than 200yds) and trips to family land in TX.
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

I own a number of rifles and 308-243 and my 270WSM and I can tell you the 270WSM is not a push over. I will stand up against anything that is said about it. 400 yards shots No problem....
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
cdup

Post by cdup »

Thanks for the input guys, the .257 looks a little costly to invest in considering i can do the say job with with a common calibar with less cost.I'm going to start looking at diff. mod. of the 270 and go from there. Again, thanks for all of your input.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

In my former life out west the .270 was a good gun for those big wide open spaces and loooong range shots. Had a boyfriend drop an antelope at 450 yds. Here in Ontario, where the hunting is in the woods, my Savage 99 in .300 seems pretty ideal.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

A .300 Win used to be about all that was used in 1,000 yd competitions. :wink:

If you're looking for a relatively common caliber that will reach out and touch something, look at the .25-06 or .30-06. The cartridge availablity will be a little better with the .30-06 and a little cheaper, with different loads available. The .25-06 though is a pretty good caliber. It's small enough to really be able to reach out there, but has got enough power to put stuff down easily. The .308 is also a really good caliber.

If you get into some of the lesser known calibers, cartridge availablity will be a tough one, as well as price. If you go up into some of the magnums (ex: 7 mm mag), you're going to get thumped pretty good when it isn't necessary.

'Course, this is just my opinion on it. :wink: I'm sure everyone else will probably tell you something else. :lol: Thing is, find a rifle style or type that you really like and see what calibers it comes in. For the money right now, you can't beat the Marlin XL's that are out. They've also started making some short-action chamberings in the gun (XS). They've got good accuracy and can be bought new for $300-350. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
wildman

Post by wildman »

257 weatherby mag. in a vanguard $399.00 good caliber great gun ...Just my .02cents :)
Exocet 200,
Miller Quiver Mount
Miller's Killers
Slick Trick B/H