possible. twang, noise fix...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hoss

Post by Hoss »

yes I read here before a couple years ago that somebody did that..I dont recall how well it helped the noise. but I dont believe it was a great fix for that twang you speak of. The wooden stock that Mark offered was the best bolt on helper if you will for that noise..but I can see how it would have to change it somewhat I just never tried it..let us know how it comes
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
mikej

Post by mikej »

here's a link to greywolfs post on foam filling. i have been thinking of trying it myself the only thing i'm worried about is screwing something up like getting it into the trigger .

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... 3859f92803

project is nearing completion. hopefully by sept , been off work due to a car accident
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

The noise doesnt bother me enough to fill my rail with foam...Id porbably mess it up anyways if i tryed :lol:
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Hi,

I really enjoy reading stuff like this. Don't yet have my Exocet so don't know what type of access is available but would you be able to strategically place a few Limb Savers in there - just wondering?

Take care...
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

We have had reports of foam filled rails as well as silicone filled rails, I don't think either made a big difference, the silicon would be very heavy.
The loudest noise, and easiest to fix is the "twang" of the arrow spring smacking the rail. There are lots of ways to do it, but in my opinion it is best to just adjust it correctly.

If I were to take the noise seriously, and I don't see that coming any time soon, I would place a strip of DynoMat inside the rail, no weight with maximum sound dampening. Absorbing the sound is impossible on a crossbow, but slowing the resonating process can be done.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I've always thought it would be neat to build a crossbow in which the rail was directly inset into a groove machined into a dense wooden stock (no hollow spots). I'd think that would dampen sound considerably. :D
Grizz
mikej

Post by mikej »

Grizzly Adam wrote:I've always thought it would be neat to build a crossbow in which the rail was directly inset into a groove machined into a dense wooden stock (no hollow spots). I'd think that would dampen sound considerably. :D
wasn't that how the wolverene was built?
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
sits in trees

Post by sits in trees »

by reducing twang are you doing this for your comfort or to prevent a deer from jumping the string? because if it's the latter you might be wasting your time.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Nothing, absolutely NOTHING, can be done to make a crossbow so quiet that a deer won't hear it. Yes, they can be made quieter but not as quiet as a vert bow. After messing around with all sorts of 'cures - and adding wight in the process - I realized the only one I was trying to keep from 'jumpin the string' was MYSELF. Once that sunk it I focused on getting ONE well placed shot on a RELAXED deer. I'm firmly convinced that deer react as much to the sight and possibly the sound of the ARROW than to the bow noise itself.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Cossack wrote:Nothing, absolutely NOTHING, can be done to make a crossbow so quiet that a deer won't hear it. Yes, they can be made quieter but not as quiet as a vert bow. After messing around with all sorts of 'cures - and adding wight in the process - I realized the only one I was trying to keep from 'jumpin the string' was MYSELF. Once that sunk it I focused on getting ONE well placed shot on a RELAXED deer. I'm firmly convinced that deer react as much to the sight and possibly the sound of the ARROW than to the bow noise itself.
No doubt-about-it, Cossack.

I guarantee you "string jump" is as much about arrow noise as it is about bow noise. Arrows make more noise than people think!

As to making the crossbow quieter and more vibration-free, I think it's a worthwhile quest for those to whom it matters when shooting. :D
Grizz
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Less vibrations and noise can actually make you a better shot. It's a worthy cause.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

sumner4991 wrote:Less vibrations and noise can actually make you a better shot. It's a worthy cause.
I agree completely!
There's no way to make the crossbow silent enough the deer aren't going to hear it, but you usually can get it silent enough the person shooting the bow can tolerate the noise (and vibration).
It's like shooting a magnum revolver - try it with, and then without ear protection! :wink:

For me, the simplest way to adjust crossbow noise is string type (dacron w/catwhiskers works for me), and arrow weight. Very simple fixes with no modifications to the bow. I loose a few fps, but that's easily compensated for by reducing the maximum yardage I'm willing to take a shot at a deer - (32.625 yards worked out by using the SWAG formula).

BTW - SWAG is the acronym for Scientific Wild A** Guess. :lol:
wabi
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I hadnt thought of this till now....but I use 3m rubberized undercoating to deaden the sound inside my old truck doors, I took off the door panels and sprayed it inside everywhere and it made a difference. I also sprayed my tree stands and climber..Its paintable, dries black and has a rough texture. SO I wonder if a guy sprayed the inside of the rail if it would help..Im not going that far just wanted to offer that up as food for thought....FYI it takes a good while for the stink of that petroleum stuff to go away..I sprayed my climber and just left it hanging on the tree all summer same with my ladder stands..but it is great stuff. My whole dodge 4x4 is covered in it..Its kinda like a spray in bedliner stuff..
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Very interesting subject.

From my own experiences and after having seen numerous bow shots in slow motion video, there is no denying the fact that deer can and do react to sudden unatural sounds such as a loud bow shot. Their obvious reaction is moving, which can result in a bad hit and a fatally wounded but lost deer.

If your shot is close enough and your arrow fast enough or if the bow shot is not loud and/or alarming, the deer will not react and flinch, jump, hunch down, start to run, etc., the chances are very good that your shot will be true.

If you are off with your shot a few inches, the deer reacts sharply at the sound of your bow shot and flinches a few inches, suddenly your arrow is hitting 6-12 inches away from where you aimed and you hit the stomach instead of the heart/lungs like you planned.

Given all of this, I have more than adequate reason and incentive to try and quiet my bow and arrow down as much as I can. To ignore the issue or just accept loud as OK surely does nothing to increase your chances for success and and actually lessens such.

Anything that lessens bow/arrow noise has to increase your chances for a quick kill and success.

Dave
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

In my hunting days of deer i have found if a deer is not in the alert MODE a noise will only make them turn and look to see what it was. If in an alert MODE they jump at about anything they hear. squirrel even a acorn hitting the ground, so if your hunting say public land and the deer are pushed around and spooked and hunted hard. You can bet they are itchy to jump at anything. If your early season its a bit different. If your in an area that has had little preasure the deer act all together different. It is not an exact science to say the least..