emergency room visit(READ ESPECIALLY IF YOU USE CRANKAROO)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

912zeus912

Post by 912zeus912 »

most people wont admit to others about doing something stupid but i will if it might keep someone from making the same costly mistake i made. monday afternoon i went from the highest high to the lowest low.i was shooting my new equinox for the first time at 50 yds and to say i was amazed would be an understatment.i stuck two firebolts in a 1.5" bullseye at 50 and they sunk all the way to the fletching.it was real close to dark and i cocked my crossbow one more time using the crankaroo device to see if i could put a third one in the bullseye.as i was finishing cocking my cell phone rang it was a work related call and by the time i finished it it was very close to dark.i put the crosshairs on the target pulled the trigger and thats the last thing i remember till i woke up on the concrete with my 5 yr old screming daddy wake up with blood flowing my temple and eye(we think i was unconcious abot 3 to 5 min).next thing i know im in the emergency getting 5 stitches in my temple and had completely lost vision in my left eye.everyone in emergency room asked me what happened but i had no idea.the next day i went outside to retrieve the crossbow and start to piece together what happened.the phone call distracted me and by the time i got off it was too dark to shoot but bow was cocked so i figured i would shoot to uncock it.with it being dark and because of getting on the phone i had failed to release both hooks from string so when i shot the winch spun and hit me in the tmple at 350 ft/second then the winch caught half way down the rail causing the string hook i did remove to fly around and hit me in the eyeball at i assume the same speed.i ended up with 5 stitches,a concussion,and even 3 days later about 50% loss of vision in my left eye which i am hoping is due to swelling as i still cant open my eye up more than half way.people that know me cant believe i made a mistake like this.i have been reloading for yrs which requires you to be very methodical and leaves no margin for era so believe me for those of you that are saying what a dumbass and i would never make a mistake like that(which is what i would probably say)it could happen to you.i have now missed 3 days of work and it looks like i wont be back til mon because of lack of vision.heres my take on lessons learned to pass on to others.(1)if you use a crankaroo never leave attached to stock in between shots.(2)put the cellphone away when shooting your crossbow i do this when i reload and wish i would have when shooting<.(3)never shoot in very low light i feel certain if it hadnt been dark i would have seen it.(4)run a mental checklist every time you shoot from did i remove cocking device,are my limbs clear from all obstructions,and are my fingers clear of string.well good shooting and i hope me admitting my carelessness and stupidity helps someone.
buzzards gotta eat too!(JOSIE WELLS)
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ouch... I always wondered what would happen if someone left those hooks on.. i see its no good:(

how's the bow? Any damage to anything?

Sorry to hear of your mishap but glad you are fine now
912zeus912

Post by 912zeus912 »

Bow is fine i checked limbs for cracks and i measured string to see if brace height had changed.Then against my wifes wishes i got back on that horse today and cocked it and shot it at 20 yds still dead on.How do you attach pics i was gonna post pics of my eye and temple.
912zeus912

Post by 912zeus912 »

never mind i just saw stickys post where he tells how
Sopchoppy

ouch

Post by Sopchoppy »

It's been 10 months since I launched the end of my thumb with my Vortex. Was shooting off the bench and left my thumb was sticking up over the rail just in front of the trigger. About 2 hours in surgery and more pain than I though imaginable and a BUNCH of $$$$ is what one split second of carelessness can cause. When I say I feel your pain, I do. The thumb is about 1/2 inch shorter and still tender on the end. Hope your eye heals quickly and completely.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
912zeus912

Post by 912zeus912 »

hey thanks i appreciate it!and i hear you about the money i am self employeed so the show stops when im not there not to mention because i have a small company the only way i can afford insurance is to have a 5,000.00 deductible so this whole thing will come out of my pocket my guess is its gonna cost me around 6,000.00 in all.
Gimpaw

Post by Gimpaw »

Thanks for swallowing your pride and possibly sparing someone else the same mistake.
You don't have a monopoly on stupidity. I think we've all been stupid a time or two.
If you never did anything stupid, you never did anything at all.
Hope your sight returns.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

ouCCCCCCCCCCCCChhh Sorry too hear of your mishap get feeling well soon.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Big John

b

Post by Big John »

Well, I'm "Pretty sure" that is something I do not want to do!! :shock: :shock: Hope your okay after that. That is one bad lesson to learn the hard way!!
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Wow, man I sure hope it works out for the better, it had to put a scare in your little guy, heal up season getting close.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Boo

Post by Boo »

Wow! I hope you are 100% sooner than later! I got a cold shiver when I read that! Lucky for me, if the crankeroo were ever to be used again my arms are too short to reach the trigger!
Thanks for the heads up!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Thanks for sharing your story sorry about the your pain!! :cry:
The best things in life are not things!!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i am sorry to read of yer pain, also that its going to hurt fer awhile. that will make everyone think about this stuff before getting distracted. hope you heal 100%
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

Wow and I thought just dry firing my bow was bad!
Who gives a damn about the bow as long as your alright thats what matters!You can replace a bow but not an eye!
Those bows have alot of pressure and Im actually pretty scared myself when I use the cocking aid to cock back my exomax.Glad your going to be fine!
If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax
lscha

Post by lscha »

I'm so sorry about your mis-hap. I wasn't expecting that. I use a crankaroo all the time and MY fear is accidentally hitting the lever and smashing my knuckles. I didn't even know you could shoot the bow with one left on. I probably couldn't. I hope you are 100% soon. Thanks for telling us about this.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381