Bought the 09 HSS harness finally

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Bought the 09 HSS harness finally

Post by crazyfarmer »

everyone should be proud since I finally bought the hunter safety system this weekend from Bass Pro. I went and looked at the treestalker one also which wa son sale for 59.99. I liked the feel of the pro series vest though since Ill wear it over my jacket and I like the extra pockets and BINO system it has now. It took me awhile to get use to wearing it. At first it felt weird, but now ive adjusted a few things and its very snug. The biggest thing to get use to are the belts around your inner legs. My main reason for one are those long days and weeks hunting back to back when things are slow and I tend to get sleepy. Ive shut my eyes a few times before in the past and it doesnt take long to nod off. Ive hunted without a vest for about 17 years with no issues. Countless hours in the tree. I pushed my luck but chances are something will happen sooner or later.

if you havent gotten one, give the new HSS vest a look. They had the older model and the new one both out to test fit. The newer model fit twice as good! Its 140bucks, but I hope im worth 140bucks to come home at the end of the day.

so no more gambling.. time to play things safe:)
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Am glad to hear it CF!

Congrats on making the purchase and being committed to using it.

No point in taking unnecessary risks.... I'm sure you want to stick around for a few more Tiffany encounters! :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Good to hear a review on this one. I've had my eye on the newer model. I currently have a strap style harness and I like the look of the new vest.

DuckHunt
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

We use to take tree steps a stand on limbs in big oaks. But that was 30 years ago. It didnt take very many hay daddys. Untill i stoped smoken drinking driven fast and hunting with out a safety belt. Very smart choice you made.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

DuckHunt wrote:Good to hear a review on this one. I've had my eye on the newer model. I currently have a strap style harness and I like the look of the new vest.

DuckHunt
its ligther also, but still you can feel the extra weight. All that does it help get you in shape walking LOL. They make some covers to go over the buckles now so they wont make any sounds if they hit metal. But I think you could make those yourself.

instead of 2 smaller front vest buckles, its one big one now. It felt just as safe as the double buckle to me. It seems like the key buckles are the leg ones anyway since most of your weight will be there. Im not sure if the older model had the deer drag hook on the back or not? This one does. Also comes with a relief strap which is used if you fall. It hooks in the back of the vest and you put the loop under your foot and it takes the pressure off your legs so blood can flow if you fall. Im not sure if the older model had that either?

it has the 5 year warranty also..

Im use to wearing a vest in the sheriffs department also. I hate it, but I committed to wearing it. Im doing the same for this also. Espically since 85% of my stands are hang ons
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

We went on the ropes course at Stone Mountain Park, GA. last week. Not a bad course, but, not nearly as good as the course at Lake George, NY. Anyway, I couldn't possibly get off the ground without a harness . . .I just don't like doing crazy things at my age. :lol:

I'm sure it's like a seat belt . . .once you get use to it, you don't notice it. I don't feel comfortable in a car now without the seat belt around me.

I guy slipped off the course just prior to us going on and he tried to grab a rope to stop his fall . . .pulled his arm out of socket. He should of just relaxed and enjoyed the two foot fall. I did think the harness had a little too much slack.

Good choice CF!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

It's About Time!
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Glad to hear it :D Now we know you should be around a while longer Posting pictures of those great animals you have on your place :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Normous

Post by Normous »

Stay safe CF!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

sumner4991 Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:05 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We went on the ropes course at Stone Mountain Park, GA. last week.
Did the course with my daughters a couple weeks ago Sumner. Was a fun course but my little one (7) freaked out and locked up towards the end of the second level :cry: . The course is a little more difficult when you are trying to carry a little one across it :o .
I know for all the years growing up hunting in our club we all hunted out of permanent built stands and I don't think anyone knew what a safety harness was back then. I wouldn't be in a tree without one now. I will get in a tree occasionally but spend the majority of the time on the ground now.
Why ride when you can walk!
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Good for you CF. I prefer the one with out the vest so I can remove my coat or shirt which I'll have over it. You did a wise thing. I used to not wear any restraint either. :)
lscha

Post by lscha »

I did a rope course 11 years ago (work related) and I made it through everything but slower than anyone else because I was the oldest one. The only thing I excelled at was the tall pole climb where you had to stand on top of a 12 inch diameter, 30 foot pole and catch a basketball tossed to you. Only because I was used to climbing trees to hunt.

I had sore muscles I never knew I had.

Spring Hill in Evart MI. Anyone know it?
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The older I get the more I think about safety.. The kids are getting better at reminding me too, that helps.
Today I stopped by a buddies shop to pull him away for an afternoon beer, while waiting for him to instruct his staff I started yakking with one of his customers. She explained to me that the car on the hoist was her husbands, retired 2 weeks ago. 3 days ago he climbed an 8' ladder and cut a branch, reached out to pull it down and fell. "Catastrophic brain damage" were her words, an 8' drop cost him everything he had, he will never come home and never be the same. A couple hundred bucks on a safety system seem pretty trivial after a story like that.
I haven't got past the " I am invincible" part of life yet, but I get hints of it every now and then, especially when 6 little eyes are watching me leave, no expense or burden can stop me from doing what ever I have to to come home safe.
You did the right thing crazyfarmer, make sure you wear it.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Way to go CF. Got mine last yr, watched their video and found out how much I didn't about using one. Would have done me no good had I fallen, had the tether rope too long. Needs to be adjusted so you can get back on the stand (ladder) if you fall. Otherwise hanging in mid air in harness for any time will kill a person by cutting off circulation to legs and suffocation. Also made a safety rope with prussic knot for ascending and descending from stand---that's where most falls occur; even on ladders.
Statistics show that one in tree will be hurt using a tree stand (portable or perm) no sense in taking chances.
wildman

Post by wildman »

Best $140.00 you ever spent C F ,I've hunt for years with out one too but 2 years ago I bought the summit sit o the pants one it's a vest type too.Once you get used to wearing one you want wanna hunt without it.....Geo.
Exocet 200,
Miller Quiver Mount
Miller's Killers
Slick Trick B/H