Old Hunting Pocket Warmer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

[quote="VixChix"]I remember using red felted ones that burned a silver stick of something in them.[/quote]

Yes I have two of those. The stick was some sort of charcoal. Kept warm, but sometimes it would extinguish itself, instead of totally burning.
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

the one I have has a blue bag with yellow draw strings...I can tell its older from the box...Doesnt look like it was opened till I opened it
Houndsman

Post by Houndsman »

I know all about them.I remember about 40 years ago I was working outside in the middle of a very cold winter and decided to light it while driving to work that morning.If any of you remember those old cars had a type of straw or excelsior under the seats.Well you know what happened next,I dropped the lit handwarmer ,it went under the seat and that was the end of the old car.It went up in flames and I never made work that day.I was an apprentice electrician at the time and you would think I learned my lesson ,but I still own one of those handwarmers today.Just more careful where I light it.This post brought back some old memories.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've tried several types over the years, from the Jon-e to the ones that used the little sticks you lit. All I can say is "Thank God for progress in the styles of handwarmers developed and marketed now!" :lol: :lol:
Never did get a Jon-e to work as advertised, they smelled like lighter fluid and were way too hot when they burned. The one that used the charcoal (???) sticks were better than nothing, but they put off odor, too. You could light both ends of the stick and get more heat from them.
Somehow the idea of carrying a fire in your pocket just doesn't seem like the best approach to keeping warm. :shock: :roll: :lol:
wabi
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

lol still have my old woolrich that cought on fire from one of those. filled them with lighter fluid and lit the match. the new disposabiles are better. :D
mikej

Re: pocket hand warmers

Post by mikej »

Lightfoot wrote:Try wrapping a couple of steaming hot baked potatoes in tin foil and newspaper....lasts for hours and a tasty snack when ya gits hongry!

Cooked potato smell to critters better than chemical..no danger of setting oneself on fire. OUCH.
thats a good idea
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective