Whats a good deer feed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bull_dogg

Whats a good deer feed

Post by bull_dogg »

Whats a good bait to use around ur tree stand to keep the deer in the area??
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

here are two things that I do that seem to work
1: buy deer feed at tsc, it has molasses in it. slows down the squirells :lol:

2: buy whole corn @ the co-op and add my own molasses that I get from the feed mill.

Both work well! but you will be pulling in 'coons as well as deer. Not to mention birds, squirells, mice, etc etc :roll: :lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
bull_dogg

Post by bull_dogg »

Thanx for the advice.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Just finished my new feeder and put it out today. Over the years I've tried many feeds - oats, soybeans, and the corn with molasses that was mentioned. In my area all that has worked is plain old corn! The other feeds molded and went bad before they were eaten.
I made this new feeder from a 30 gal steel drum. Drilled a couple 2" holes in the bottom (120º apart) then took mortar and made a filler sloping toward the holes. It holds 100# of corn, and the sloping filler adds enough weight it will be difficult to upset (hopefully :roll: ). I also added mortar to the lid to make it weigh about 40#, so the critters can't easily flip it off.
Set it up at the food plot today between the blind & tree stand(s). Under a 20 yard shot from either place.

The new feeder:

Blind (view from feeder):

Tree stand(s) (view from feeder):

Feeder (looking from hang-on stand):

BTW - the food plot has chicory & clover this year, and the deer have been hitting it, so they should get used to the feeder in the 6 weeks left until our season opens. The ladder stand had a big surprise for me tonight, I climbed up, checked the hang-on stand out (took about 20 minutes to loosen the straps, check them carefully, and re-hang it), then got back in the ladder stand. Suddenly I had several wasps buzzing around my head! I probably set a speed record for climbing down! No stings, but I will have to find the nest and destroy it before deer season opens! :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
cholafxsti

Post by cholafxsti »

Here in PA we only have bait time until one month prior to opening day. so for us that is the 2nd of Sept I think. I've used feed corn. As well as my friends but the problem is that we are attracting bear and I think its keeping some deer away. Still getting deer on our cameras but less then we used to get. I put my last batch of corn out last Wed. and I'm hoping that will be good enough.
Chola
mikej

Post by mikej »

i use corn mixed with the deer feed with oats and molasses, apples and peanut butter spread on a tree
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Check out this company:

www.backyardwildlife.ca

They are the producers of Rack Stacker Deer Feed, which my family has used to supplement feeding in the Winter in a few areas.

It's a better option for deer, who can fall victim to Rumenitis with the intake of too much corn.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Around here nothing beats plain old shelled corn. The key is to never put out more than they will clean up in 4-6 hours max. and take it out via of the atv. The deer will become so accustomed to the atv that they will hear the atv coming then stand right there and watch you.

When we used to bait, if I had a problem getting into one stand, I'd have my wife take some corn out. While she was going with the atv I'd sneak out to my blind. She'd no sooner than turn around and deer would be coming out of the woodwork, so to speak.

I've also taken corn out on the atv and had deer within 10 feet of me watching me dump it.

All this said, the best place to hunt is not over the bait, but hunt trails near there and that is where you will find the bucks.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

shelled corn and sweetfeed. I'll treat them to oats once in awhile.
Houndsman

Post by Houndsman »

Since they've made bait legal here in N.J. a small industry has emerged,farmers growing crops just for bait and selling it right at their farm.Corn is good but the turkeys and squirrels will clean it up as well as the deer.Sugar Beets,Sweet Patatoes and Apples are all great baits and the smaller animals won't get as much of your pile.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Shelled corn works in Tennessee :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]