Making of a wood stock

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Good looking wood! cant wait to see the finished product.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

what tools would you be using. i have a large woodshop and looks like something i would like to attempt. would you use a router to make a grove for where the rail sits. other than that, all i can think of would be a bandsaw, scroll saw, and a few sanders.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

well, right now my shop is open to all ideas. Mine are for the rail I'm going to dado that out first . Then after I get the rail fitted and trigger hole drilled, I'll rough draw on the 7" flat side the way I want the stock to look. I'll have to go to a local lumberyard for a bandsaw. Never used in carpenter work enough to buy one. Then I'm planning on using a 4' disc portable grinder to shape it. Was going to put an accu-draw on it until I saw how great the wood was. Putting that on a piece of wood would be a sin. I'll have to drill out the thumbhole and I will tailor my checkpiece after the feel of my ten point. ALL, this is learn as you form the piece, so worst case, its firewood. If you love to work with wood as I do, the wood will show you the way. Good luck on yours! Mike

P.S. I forgot to mention tons of hand sanding and a rasp and rattail file. :lol:

Chuck Gravel wrote:what tools would you be using. i have a large woodshop and looks like something i would like to attempt. would you use a router to make a grove for where the rail sits. other than that, all i can think of would be a bandsaw, scroll saw, and a few sanders.
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

Chuck Gravel wrote:what tools would you be using. i have a large woodshop and looks like something i would like to attempt. would you use a router to make a grove for where the rail sits. other than that, all i can think of would be a bandsaw, scroll saw, and a few sanders.
For anything more than 1 stock...you should have a milling machine eqiuppet with HSS up and down sprial wood router bits. Then the other major thing needed would be a duplicator which will save a ton of time once you get the first one done. I am in the middle of just getting my plans together for a duplicator and not sure if I want to go CNC or just manual.

RyanB
agingcrossbower

Added a Dremel tool to help with the carving. 8) 8) 8)
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

I was looking into some of those router cnc machines but they are a little out of my price range for now as i am only 19, but i could always pull something out of my hat
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Nice peace of wood Looking forward to seeing your work.
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

I bought a Dixie Gunworks Pennsylvania Flintlock Kit in 1970. My neighbor was a cabinet maker and helped me finish the stock and rifle. Took 1 year just to finish the stock. He only allowed me to work on the stock about 30 min. a night. He was a perfectionist. I now have a real sweet rifle. When I figure out how to add pics I'll post a few of it it. Take your time with the Xbow stock. Thats a sweet piece of wood. :D
agingcrossbower

Oh yes, show us that stock. would you share the finish process. Thanks
Shotnbeer wrote:I bought a Dixie Gunworks Pennsylvania Flintlock Kit in 1970. My neighbor was a cabinet maker and helped me finish the stock and rifle. Took 1 year just to finish the stock. He only allowed me to work on the stock about 30 min. a night. He was a perfectionist. I now have a real sweet rifle. When I figure out how to add pics I'll post a few of it it. Take your time with the Xbow stock. Thats a sweet piece of wood. :D
roland

Post by roland »

nice looking piece of curly maple, that wood is hard to work with. That is the same wood that I made my stock out of.
agingcrossbower

Care to share a picture of your stock. Like to see its lines.
roland wrote:nice looking piece of curly maple, that wood is hard to work with. That is the same wood that I made my stock out of.
Bluefish024

Post by Bluefish024 »

Thats a really nice piece of maple that grain is really going to pop when you stain it. If you use a red let it sit for a day then stain with a light brown the grain will really stand out... Wonder if a Burle wood would work...
Phoenix for Mrs/ Exocet 200 for me
Vari-zone / CompM3 Aimpoint
Boo strings
STS systems
New and improved,,,,kiss of death bolts...
agingcrossbower

Is there anyone out there with some expertees on finishing this stock. I've heard of tung oil, stain and vanish, or marine vanish. A rub on vanish, but if someone says paint I,ll hurl. eeEEEWee. Thanks Mike
PS Bluefish024 has interesting idea with a red then brown stain, which I'm going to test. Thanks Bluefish024
mikej

Post by mikej »

i personally like a light almost clear stain to show the natural beauty and grain of the wood
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective