Vixen Arrived Today....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Meat Hunter

Vixen Arrived Today....

Post by Meat Hunter »

My Vixen, with the older (longer) stock, arrived today and this is the first recurve crossbow that I have ever held in my hands.

Would one you experienced Vixen shooters have the time, to please give me the full Step-By-Step procedures regarding the pre-stretching a recurve string. I will be using Excalibur Flemish strings.

The only question that I know to ask at the moment is; I purchased two strings – If I pre-stretch both strings, install one and hold the other in reserve, will the reserved string hold the pre-stretching.

Best,
Meat Hunter
sumner4991

Re: Vixen Arrived Today....

Post by sumner4991 »

Meat Hunter wrote: If I pre-stretch both strings, install one and hold the other in reserve, will the reserved string hold the pre-stretching.

Best,
Meat Hunter
Yes, it will hold.

Congrats on the Vixen . . .go have some fun. 8)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congrats on a good purchase, and welcome to the forum
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

Youre going to love that Vixen it's sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Welcome aboard! Best of luck with your new crossbow.

Take care...
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

put 1st string on limbs, let it sit overnite. then i would shoot it about 60 times. repeat with the 2nd string. then put 1st on and be ready for hunting season
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

just put one string on and let sit for a few days or untill it falls between the 2 lines.. then fire a few shots.. once it goes bact the farthest mark, then just unstring and twist untill its back middle way between them

just repeat for the other string

I normally just string mine and let set for 3 days or untill its down past that last mark. Then I twist her back up some to the first line and let sit another day
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Thats what I use is a Vixon and added a wolverine to my asenal. Have no intentions of going to a bigger xbow. String lasts forever and not hard on my body or back. No need for STS systems or trying to quiet the bow down. Small is good just as any bow, stay within your practiced range.

I just shoot mine lots to stretch the strings
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Congrats, great bow, got one. I used to use an Emax and string stretch was annoying, letting t5he bow sit cocked overnight helped break the strings in.
Also, you want to tie the end loops together w/ a twistie tie off a loaf of bread for your spare. As long as the loops don't spin, your bheight will stay the same.

By the time you'll need that spare [if ever] you'll be able to glance at a string and apply the right number of twists to get what ever bheight you like.
"Eze 18:21"
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

Thanks for all the good advice.

The Vixen was assembled today and the field-ready weight (scope, flip-up scope covers, quiver, four arrows and sling) only weighs 8 lb. 14 oz. – Since weight was my prime concern; that is absolutely remarkable.

The string installed, centered and the bow will stand cocked overnight and adjustment will be made tomorrow.

If you guys have any other recurve wisdom to pass on to a new recurve shooter, please feel free to do so.

Thanks again,
Meat Hunter
Gimpaw

Post by Gimpaw »

As a fellow newby to crossbows, I can tell you that reading through old posts is helpful. Pay attention to the saftey threads.
Apparently it's not uncommon for new shooters to forget to load a bolt into the crossbow. Dry fire can damage the bow.
Also, don't practice while distracted. Last weekend I was shooting while answering questions from my son. I wasn't paying attention. I'm still not sure how I did it, but I let the string hit my left thumb when I fired.
My thumb is still swollen a week later. It's sore to where I can't bend it very far, and it's black and blue like you wouldn't believe.
Have fun but be careful.
"I was young and foolish; now I'm old and foolisher".
Mark Twain
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

:D Enjoy, I've got two of them deer poop brown. A rarity :lol:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

yup safety as said here keep all fingers thumbs toes below rail deck or the string slapping it will make you p yer pants sides the pain to follow!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

If you guys have any other recurve wisdom to pass on to a new recurve shooter, please feel free to do so.
Since you asked, lol, I like to sight my Excals in w/ peep and pin before putting scope mount on.

They all take about the same setting, imho. If you set the pin 1.437" above base of sight w/ dial calipers and the inside edge of base flush or a thumbnail shy of flush, you will be close at 20.

Once you are 'on' at 20, you should be able to use the post under green pin for 30.

I've found you can take these off and put them back on and be near enough the same poi for hunting purposes.

There's a spray lube out called 'Tri-Flow' that works well on moving parts like the trigger box, much prefer it to WD-40.

Last, don't shoot the same dot twice!!
"Eze 18:21"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Looks like the questions have been answered, but let me say,
"Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!"
wabi