Arrows and BHS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

barrierreef1972

Arrows and BHS

Post by barrierreef1972 »

I know this is probably a redundant question, but I am looking for a good arrow-BH combo for my CB. I have a 225# Equinox with STS system, FFF string and Lumizone scope. I have been shooting the Firebolts with the Boltcutters that came with the package. I have very good accuracy with the 100 gr. field points but when I put the bolt cutters on everything changes. I do not like this set up. I can't obtain any kind of group.

I had some 2219 XX75 Eastons that I fletched (4"straight) and tried. The arrows all weigh +/- 2 gr of each other. Same thing great group with field tips then crazy with the Boltcutters. I know the FOC is no good on either of these set ups.

I have read some of the old threads and would like some opinions on resolving this problem. I want to buy a whole new arrow and BH combo. I do not want mechanicals (prior bad luck). I am thinking about some Gold Tip Pro Laser II with brass inserts, and possibly some muzzy broadheads. Does this sound like a pretty good combo? Tell me about what kind of vanes, nocks, etc. I should use.

has anyone ever seen a fletching jig like this. I have used it for about 20 years. Had to modify it a little for flat nocks but works great. It has straight and right helix on the vane holders.

diesel

Post by diesel »

I like 125gr Mag. Slick tricks They have always grouped very well. Where are you located. If your close to me come over and shoot some of mu slicktricks and see how they fly.
Next you may want to check and see if the insert is square on the shaft.
I'm in Ohio, if your not close to me maybe someone else will let you try the same thing.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

try the slick tricks;)

ive found that the easton shafts dont have a very good FOC at all unless you add some serious weight to the front.

also, I see you fletch straight.. try adding a 3-4 degree offset to help stablize the flight with the bhead! Also, blazer vanes work very well with any bhead. 4 inch ones fly good, but I think the extra height of the blazers actaully may help bhead flight more
Boo

Post by Boo »

Montecs and G5 Strikers work well in all respects.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mikej

Post by mikej »

i have no suggestions since i use mechanicals but if you are using 100 grain field points and 150 grain bolt cutters won't that affect poi
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

"I am thinking about some Gold Tip Pro Laser II with brass inserts, and possibly some muzzy broadheads"

That is what I'm shooting and with resonably good succes considering I'm brand new to CBs.

Here is what I posted yesterday in the "Wasp or Muzzys?" Topic:

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
bkisel

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:56 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bkisel wrote:
For what it might be worth the "Right Stuff" package I recently bought from Danny Miller came with 100 grain 3 blade Muzzy. These are the regular/old Muzzy not the newer MX3 Muzzy. If I get a chance after work today I'll open the package, put together a head using the practice blades and see how it shoots. Will report back here with results.

Take care...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello again,

My son and I got to shoot some after my getting home from work. My son shooting offhand at 30 yards was holding perhaps a 4-6" group with both field tips and the one arrow with the Muzzy 100 grain 3 blade practice BH. I did better sitting in my canvas hunting seat and resting my elbows on my knee and thigh, something like a 3-4" group with both filed tip and the one Muzzy practice BH. No difference between field tip vs. BH flight that I could tell. I'm still learning to shoot the CB and might find a discerninable difference once I've gotten better.

Take care...
saxman

Post by saxman »

I'm using the ones I got from Greywolf in 06
GT L II's, Brass insert, Blazers and GW wraps.
Most of the time I shoot the G5 Montec with excellent results,this season I'm trying the NAP Bloodrunner.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I too have that fletching rig and have had for many moons now. If memory doesn't fail me it was sold by Martin. I do not use the straight fletch though. Just turn that around to use the twist and I'll bet your problem will be solved.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Rich

Post by Rich »

Contact Crazyfarmer and get some of his GT II's, 2" blazers and brass inserts then top them with either a Muzzy 4 blade/WASP Boss/Montec/Slicktricks and you will solve your problems.

Rich
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

I'm surprised you are having problems with the Firebolts and Boltcutter heads. I've been shooting in preparation for a hunt next week and I am using an Exomax, boltcutters, and Firebolts. My groups are less than 4 inches at 40 yards with this setup, are you expecting more, or doing something wrong? FOC is very good with the 150 grain heads.