what broad head are you using in your Pheonix?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

whdahel

what broad head are you using in your Pheonix?

Post by whdahel »

well which broad heads and arrows do you use in your phoenix? I just bought some muzzy mx3's 100 grain , Just got the bow on monday. what grain are the field points in the light stuff package??

thanks
slider

Post by slider »

Just bought a phoenix late last year....used 100 gr NAP spitfire.....great results.

Practiced with 100 gr field points....not sure what weight came in your package?

Slider
2008 Phoenix
Illuminated FireBolts
100 g spitfires
Varizone
Flemish String

Always try your best!
Kenny SRF

Post by Kenny SRF »

Hi -Im very interested in the responses here, 'cause I just bought the same bow and was wondering also..

FWIW, I bought some 'Thunderbolt' 100 gr AND some 150 gr Boltcutters yesterday. I will be practicing later today and will try and quantify results (although this will be the first time I fire the bow so... Will practice mainly with field points, but want to try the broadheads as well)

I believe the field points that came with my bow ('Lite Stuff Package) are 100gr.

Later!
KOZMAN

Not sure but Ithink 100 grains.

Post by KOZMAN »

I am currently shooting xx75 alum arrows 2217 with 100 grain Magnus Buzz cutts. I have used this combo for a few years and it works super! Nice clean arrow flight. Dead deer at the end of nice blood trail(if I do my part) :wink:

A nice thing about Magnus BH is the they are the only company that has a life time warranty! If you shoot it into a tree,rock,what ever send them the BH and you will get a new one for free! 8)

Good Hunting
can't we all get along....
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've hunted with a Phoenix for a few years now and killed a few deer with the phoenix. I've also done a lot of broadhead testing with the broadheads I had on hand.

Mechanicals I tried had a few problems with opening in flight (actually opening on launch, I believe) and I thought I had the problem solved by double banding a Wasp JakHammer until I had one fail to open on a deer. I did kill a deer or two before the failure to open happened and I quit using mechanicals.

Fixed blades designed for faster bows all seem to do fairly well.
G-5 Montecs are very accurate from my Phoenix, and I have one deer tagged with them.
Slick Tricks were accurate, but did not group with field points. Close, but a little off at 20 yards and I figured that the groups would only widen with distance increases, so I tested no further.
A buddy gave me a Wac'Em Exit (4 blade model) replacement blade broadhead to try last summer. Groups were very tight and right with field points. I liked the looks of the 4 blade head and I traded him out of the rest he had. Last season I was able to test them on two different deer. Both deer went down quickly with double lung hits, and both were easy recoveries...............
testing will continue in about a month :wink: :lol: :lol:

BTW - I make my own arrows and am using 2215 aluminums fletched with 2" Blazers and 100 grain points.
wabi
skamaniac

Wabi

Post by skamaniac »

BTW - I make my own arrows and am using 2215 aluminums fletched with 2" Blazers and 100 grain points.
What's the total arrow weight? Are you adding any weight forward to the 2215s? I've been building some 2213s with blazers and adding some weight to get me to 430 grains.
'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not.'
BUS314

no doubt here

Post by BUS314 »

SlickTrick 125 With brass inserts; dead on
AKA-ChoctawBusGuy
Excal Phoenix
VariZone
GT II's w/ brass inserts
SlickTrick 125's
STS
Boo String
Double Bull DarkHorse
wabi

Re: Wabi

Post by wabi »

skamaniac wrote:
What's the total arrow weight? Are you adding any weight forward to the 2215s? I've been building some 2213s with blazers and adding some weight to get me to 430 grains.
The weight (with point installed) is around 380 grains. I shortened the arrow to 18½" to achieve the weight. A 2213 (made the same way) with 125 grain point is very close in weight and has slightly better FOC.
When I got the Phoenix I started with minimum weight arrow (350 grains) and experimented with weights until I liked the "feel" of the shot. The 380 grain weight suited me for a compromise of reduction in noise & recoil but still maintaining good velocity.
I also crest dip my arrows in Fletch-Lac for good adhesion of vanes and this adds a few grains of weight. I use aluminum inserts on both ends.
When dipping the shafts I install the nock insert and screw in a field point to keep paint from getting inside the shaft. :wink:
I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to making arrows. I've found a ± 5 grains weight is no real handicap on hunting arrows (shot at ranges under 30 yards).
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i used 3 diff BH's last yr. took 3 tick toters. 1st taken with a 100 gr steelhead total arrow wt. 400 gr. 2nd tick toter 150 gr Boltcutter total arrow wt. 405 gr. 3rd tick toter slick trick 100 gr total arrow wt. 400 gr
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

had good success with muzzy 100s ...3 and 4 blades
Rich

Post by Rich »

whdahel wrote:well which broad heads and arrows do you use in your phoenix? I just bought some muzzy mx3's 100 grain??

thanks
I used the MX-3's, they grouped well but I had to adjust 3-4 inches to hit dead center.

Kenny SRF wrote:Hi -Im very interested in the responses here, 'cause I just bought the same bow and was wondering also..

FWIW, I bought some 'Thunderbolt' 100 gr AND some 150 gr Boltcutters yesterday.
Later!
I loved shooting the Thunderheads in my vert bow, but out of my Exocet and Phoenix the planed terrible after 20 yards.

Rich
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

100 gr Slick Trick mags, on GT Lazer II's, 110 gr brass insert, 2" Blazers.
Sweeeet!

PS 405 total weight, FOC 18.5%
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!