Unimpressed With Free/Sample Rocket Hammerhead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bkisel

Unimpressed With Free/Sample Rocket Hammerhead

Post by bkisel »

[If this type of post is out of line please delete and accept my apologies.]
:(
Received my free/sample Hammerhead broadhead in the mail this past Thursday. Speaking only about my impression with regards to this BH's construction quality I must say that I’m unimpressed. Tip appeared to be junk compared to what I see on my Muzzys and my brother’s Slick Tricks. Blades seemed slim and fragile; they wiggled around and appeared not to be well anchored. First thought I might be judging the blade to harshly but happened to get a close look at a club members NAP Spitfire BHs (not sure which model) and saw quality that was absent in the Rocket Hammerhead.

This is all just my impression and I could be all wet. Have no interest in trying this BH on game – it could be the best thing since sliced bread but I’ll have to pass.

Take care…
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

LOL . . that was my exact first impression and mine wasn't free. I was actually a little pissed, but, had to use them because I was raised not to waste money.

Then I shot a deer with it. :shock:

I went from unimpressed to amazed.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
PABOWDUDE60

Post by PABOWDUDE60 »

When these first came out about 12 years ago I hit a 200# buck in the shouder and the arrow bounced off him. I got down and checked the arrow. The small tip on BH broke off in the bucks shoulder, no penetration. I switched to the Rocket Sidewinder with the better tip. I have shot close to 30 deer with the Sidewinder. no problem,hellish blood trails and most deer dropping within sight of the stand. I personally wouldn't recommend the hammerhead, but the Sidewinder I would.
09 Exomax
Lumizone
Boo String
Ground Pounder Mount
Crazy Farmer Alum Camo Arrows With Bolt Cutter BHs
2016 Bull Dog 400 diablo bolts bolt cutters
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

They changed the tip to the chisel tip this past year, right? I know for a fact they improved the ferrule.

I haven't seen the "new" Hammerhead other than on the website.

If it's the chisel tip, then they should be removable, is it? That's a handy feature on the Stricknine . . .bust a tip on a rock and just replace it. I have a pack of tips.

I like the sidewinders too . . .do they have the removable/replaceable tip? When I run out of Spitfires, I may switch to the sidewinder.

Spitfire vs. Hammerheads . . .I really can't see big quality difference between the two. Both shoot great. Never shot a deer with the Spitfires, but, I shot a Woodchuck . . .wicked. Spitfires, the only thing I don't like is the retention spring because I don't know how long it will last. I just put a rubberband on and keep shooting. Works great.

I totally destroyed a Slick Trick on a rock once . . .well it bent the tip, same thing. :(
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

I was unimpressed with the free meatseeker 3 blade I recieved also.....
After the first 2 shots I noticed there were nicks on each blade in the same spot from the force of the blades opening and hitting the bottom of the tip of the head.....just seem to be cheaply made....on the plus side they were sharp and flew like my field points......
knobby

Post by knobby »

I wasnt impressed with mine

I got a steelhead xl and the blades are not made well at all. One blade had some small chips in the edge and another almost looks serrated like it was ground by hand or sumthin....a very uneven edge.

My dad got a meatseeker 2 blade and it was in better shape but I did not like how much energy it takes to open it and keep it open
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I've got my free Hammerhead screwed on a Firebolt. With a little luck maybe I can post some real world testing within the next week.

I agree that the blades are not as heavy as what you see on most NAP broadheads. But those heads are 1.5" cut and less. You have to give up a little mass somewhere to get a 2" cut in a 100gr head. As for the tip, it seems small but has a good sharp chisel in my opinion. The only concern I have is that the blades are LONG. They almost reach the tip. You really wouldn't want to use one of these on a seriously quartering shot. A 45 degree angle of impact is about the most I would feel comfortable. The closer to broadside the better. I prefer heads where the tip hits first at even higher angles.

We'll see. I'll put it on meat and see how it works. :)

DuckHunt
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i am still waiting on my sidewinder with 1 1/2" blades .036 think to come in. got a nanny to test it on! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

I got the MS 3 I shot it side by side with the tekan and a field point. I placed a peace of card board 2" in front of my target. The MS opened every time. And looked like it flew will. but hit all over the place. The other broad head and field tip hit the bulls eye.I was shooting 40yds.with my Ibex 465gr arrow at 280fps. Not impressed with this head.
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

when mine comes in I will then know what I ordered and then will report back.
A lot of folks don't care if the head will ruin on a meat shot; small price to pay ... proof is in the pudding, but I understand the looks making one hesitant to tryh it out on game.
dk
life guard at the gene pool
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

No opoligies needed..I like the truth even if it hurts...as for those rockets..Ive used the buck blasters..yes kinda a one shot throw away to me..never could use one twice..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

it maybe Snuffer time!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315