hot weather/ big game/ ruined meat solutions ????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kennisondan

hot weather/ big game/ ruined meat solutions ????

Post by kennisondan »

what steps do you hunters or guides take to protect the meat when you harvest big game to avoid spoilage of the meat ? nice if you have ice or a cooler realy quick close by.. but what if you have to hike in or out and a cooler is farther away ?
is salt a viable solution ?
is smoke the answer ?
is cutting it into smaller peices to cool it more quickly tha answer ?
I got to wondering from remarks on another thread.

I read about some salting and wrapping and some smoking techniques in an elmer keith book but .. I want to know what you guys know or think.
thanks
dan kennison
life guard at the gene pool
DARTONATOR

Post by DARTONATOR »

Some guys I know debone the meat and throw it in a large coleman cooler and fill it ip with water until the water runs out of the cooler clear. They then put 2 cups of salt, 1 cup baking soda and another cup of vinegar in and mix. Put a block or two of ice in with the mixture and let sit overnight. Stick hose into solution and run until mixture runs clear again. Repeat mixtures of salt, baking soda, vinegar and ice each day. After three days, you will have the tenderest meat you will ever experience. No knives needed ! Hope you enjoy.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

his way is as good as any. i usually hunt in the morning in the 50's or low 60's. i just field dress and bring in on 3 wheeler. then i bone it out and put in freezer. this year we plan on canning alot of it in qt. jars boned out
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
DARTONATOR

Post by DARTONATOR »

Smokepole ! Can you explain how you go about canning your meat. Thanks !
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

Smokepolehall : please do explain the canning thing... I cannot imagine there is so much I need to still learn..
I thought if it was about eating or preparing I would already know it. LOL
obviously not. thanks in advance...
dk
life guard at the gene pool
lscha

Post by lscha »

I very seldom shoot deer in warm weather but if I do, I field dress it and stuff the cavity with bagged ice, wrap it in a tarp and bring it home to process. This year we are converting a small shed into a temporary emergency cooler by insulating it and putting an air conditioner in it. I used to have a used florists cooler that really came in handy for storing parts till I could get to them.

We also can venison and salmon in mason jars.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I would like some information on canning venison allso.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

For deer hunting I quarter the deer and put it in a cooler as quick as I can then get ice at the first store I get to. When we go out west elk hunting we have a chest freezer on our trailer that doesn't run but is our "big cooler" that we stop and add block ice to before we even start our hunt. The block ise will last way longer than the chips.
Why ride when you can walk!
skamaniac

Post by skamaniac »

Game animals harvested in warm weather should be skinned immediately and hung to cool over night. Using a gamebag loosely fit around the animal will keep the bugs off the meat. We always used a screen tent as our meat tent for hanging and processing. The animal should then be processed the next before day time temps begin to rise. The meat is then placed in a cooler with ice to keep it cool but make sure to keep it out of any water by draining it regularly. I don't care for water logged steaks.

Putting a freshly killed animal in a freezer can actually cause a problem with the cooling of the meat. The outside of the meat will freeze which will actually insulate it and has been know to spoil the meat. The same as packing the cavity with snow. It will actually insulate it and keep it from cooling.
'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not.'
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

We are fortunate in Kentucky that we don't have to show a dressed but otherwise intact carcass to check in. I call mine into the telecheck system immediately, provided the phone is getting a signal. I then bone out the animal on the spot, putting the meat in old, clean pillowcases. Not too much in one bag, so the meat can start cooling immediately. On a remote hunt, I'll have a cooler with ice waiting back at camp.

If you're curious about learning to bone out the meat on the spot, google "gutless quartering method", "field butchering" or somesuch. Bowsite.com used to have a nice tutorial on it as well. No field dressing required, though I do make small incisions to reach in for the tenderloins & sometimes the heart. But it's done after boning the other meat.

Bottom line, it's the fastest way to get the hide & bones away from the meat, allowing for faster cooling.

BTW, the limb tips of a Excalibur crossbow make great places to tie off your meat bags, making for easier packing :D
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

DARTONATOR wrote:Smokepole ! Can you explain how you go about canning your meat. Thanks !
No need to make 'Smoke go through all that! :P

Here's a link to an article on it:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/clay105.html

Read Jackie's article before you do anything else.

Then, get a canner, jars, the proper accessories, a Ball Blue Book, and a deer ... and you're ready to go!

By the way:

Backwoods Home magazine, and their website, is an invaluable resource for those who haven't yet learned how to do many useful things.
Grizz
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

thanks Grizzly Adam fer the link as this will be our 1st to can meat. we have our canner and some jars on standby right now!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315