Making of a wood stock Stage 1

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

What bonding agent did you use to glue the different woods together? I get so jacked up about this sort of thing, my wife gives me funny looks. :twisted: And again thanks everyone.
agingcrossbower

Hoss, I'll bet you cried when you had to put that screw in that pretty piece of wood. I have to put an accu-draw on this stock so I can shoot. :cry:
Hoss wrote:I love purple heart wood. Ive used it for a gun handle on my grandfathers double action 22 short 6 shooter.

Its an exotic wood that comes from South America area, some say its endangered i dont think so or it would be harder to get than it is. Its very resiliant to bugs. It is very resiliant to the weather.Its grainy. In chosing the wood some is hard and some is soft its all in the luck of the draw. If it has not been in the sun it will be a light color after exsposue it gets darker purple.I hit mine with a propane torch and it darkened up a bit....Its a great choice for wood working in my opinion..here is a link for pictures and more info.

http://www.exoticwoodgroup.com/about_purpleheart.htm

.good luck bud I can already tell that is going to be on hell of a stock for you..I would only recomend carving it down as much as possible for the wieght factor..keep us posted on your progress..

Hoss
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

yes it does take away from it..but I had no choice...mabey I can find a 2 chrome screws someday and spice it up..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

looking very nice. i am going to buy a piece of 12/4 curly maple soon, i found a real nice company with reasonable prices.

http://www.goosebaylumber.com/
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
agingcrossbower

Yes a decorative scew would look good. don't get me wrong, that is a great lookin handle. :)
Hoss wrote:yes it does take away from it..but I had no choice...mabey I can find a 2 chrome screws someday and spice it up..
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

I used Gorilla Glue (wood) for the stock. The bow i use smooth-on its a 2 part epoxy. It needs to be in a press and placed in a hot box to set up.
Here is a encore stock i made with Spalted Maple and walnut Just to give you a idea how it looks.
agingcrossbower

Ape glue it is. You really are into this. Those are some great lookin pieces. 8)
rt2bowhunter wrote:I used Gorilla Glue (wood) for the stock. The bow i use smooth-on its a 2 part epoxy. It needs to be in a press and placed in a hot box to set up.
Here is a encore stock i made with Spalted Maple and walnut Just to give you a idea how it looks.
flightattendant100

stain

Post by flightattendant100 »

The traditional way to stain curly maple,like the muzzleloaders were done, is with an acid( I will try to find which specific one for you ). It turns the maple a dark greenish brown. I am sure that you have seen some muzzleloaders that were that color and wondered about them. The stripes in the curly are from the grain changing direction. the stripes also will be soft then hard then soft then hard and so forth. When you apply the acid it will turn all the wood in color and raise the grain, the soft grain more than the hard grain. You then block sand the stock and will sand off the color or some of it on the soft wood.Reapply acid raise the grain again and block sand again. You do this several times until the grain stops raising( it should be some less each time)The end result is gorgeous and deep like the ocean,but does take some time. And you still have to put the oil finish on yet. PM me and I will try to take pics of my muzzleloader and send. I am not a computer guy by any means. Hope that this helps. Also does the source that you got your maple from have more? Thanks
frisky

Post by frisky »

rt2bowhunter
What did you use for a finish on that work of art?
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

One part mineral spirits and two parts tung oil. All your trying to do is thin the tung oil. After i got the wood as smooth as i could. I lightly sanded it with emery cloth and the tung oil mix. Let it dry then do it agian ( it will soak in the wood) What your trying to do is fill all the sanding marks.That you cant see. After its smooth and you have the look your looking for. Stop using the sand paper. and use a lint free cloth A black tee shirt works good. for the rest of the coats. Theres about 7 coats on these stocks. If you try this you cant sand across different color woods. when your doing the mixture sanding.To be honest its hard to beat spray spar urethane. For a easy tough finish.
Thanks for the kind words.
agingcrossbower

Lets not overlook the craftmanship in this stock. Very detailed piece of work. You can see you love what you do. 8) 8)
rt2bowhunter wrote:One part mineral spirits and two parts tung oil. All your trying to do is thin the tung oil. After i got the wood as smooth as i could. I lightly sanded it with emery cloth and the tung oil mix. Let it dry then do it agian ( it will soak in the wood) What your trying to do is fill all the sanding marks.That you cant see. After its smooth and you have the look your looking for. Stop using the sand paper. and use a lint free cloth A black tee shirt works good. for the rest of the coats. Theres about 7 coats on these stocks. If you try this you cant sand across different color woods. when your doing the mixture sanding.To be honest its hard to beat spray spar urethane. For a easy tough finish.
Thanks for the kind words.
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Thank you.