Making of a wood stock Stage 1

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

agingcrossbower

Making of a wood stock Stage 1

Post by agingcrossbower »

Well, I finally started and I'm love every minute of it. I first made the rail channel on the stock. I used a mortise and tendon for the squared end of the channel. The rest I dadoed out. I took an oak peice the same size as the rail and got it to fit nicely in the stock channel. I then used red paint on the bottom of the oak piece and when wet set it in the stock channel to see where it would bottom out. I also used the oak piece to make sure I was parallel to the top of the stock piece. Having the oak piece setting in the channel and then running a straight edge along the top of the stock and over the oak piece and measuring the distance between gave me parallel lines. I am going to drill small holes every four inches alone the middle of the stock all the way around so I have reference to maintain the center of the wood stock.
When I get excited about a project, I get diarhea of the mouth. So, if its to much let me know and I'll zip it and just send pics. :lol: ImageImageImage
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

hey your doing fine keep us posted nice project bud..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

Great start. Looking forward to the finished piece.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
mikej

Post by mikej »

looks good keep us posted
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

You have my attention 8)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Looking good. With what and how often are you treating the wood, or do you ? 8)
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Im watching thanks for sharing I made a stock and forearm for a encore. Purple hart goes real well with curly maple. Are you using big leaf maple or hard rock.
agingcrossbower

wood blank

Do you mean what finish am I going to use. Thats still up in the air. More than likely a stain and varnish.
curmudgeon wrote:Looking good. With what and how often are you treating the wood, or do you ? 8)
agingcrossbower

The Mystery member I got the wood from just said it was Soft Maple. Could you explain what Purple Hart is. I'm asumming a stain of sorts. Would you PM me on this. I am trying to decide on finish. I am not crazy about a light colored finish but it seems thats what people put on maple to show the grain off. :)
rt2bowhunter wrote:Im watching thanks for sharing I made a stock and forearm for a encore. Purple hart goes real well with curly maple. Are you using big leaf maple or hard rock.
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

purple hart is a wood i used it for accents on my encore stock.
You can see the color better on this bow riser.
If you like the look of the wood you dont have to stain it. Tru-oil makes a good finish for gun stocks.
i like to mix 1 part linseed oil and 2 parts tung oil. And rub it it with emery cloth. This will give you a stock that looks and feels like glass. The finish on the bow is Helmsman spar urethane For a easy good finish its hard to beat.
I like how you cut out for the rail looks good pretty wood.
agingcrossbower

Thanks so much for the input. I was thinking about putting an inlay of mybe an arrowhead on the stock to dress it up a bit. That puple heart is bueatifull wood. I was thinking about black walnut. I need to stop and see what are local shops have to offer. Thanks again for sharing. This is basicly how I am forming this stock. Picking everyones brain. :wink:
rt2bowhunter wrote:purple hart is a wood i used it for accents on my encore stock.
You can see the color better on this bow riser.
If you like the look of the wood you dont have to stain it. Tru-oil makes a good finish for gun stocks.
i like to mix 1 part linseed oil and 2 parts tung oil. And rub it it with emery cloth. This will give you a stock that looks and feels like glass. The finish on the bow is Helmsman spar urethane For a easy good finish its hard to beat.
I like how you cut out for the rail looks good pretty wood.
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Sorry i trusted my memory i should have known better use mineral spirits. in stead of linseed oil. When i typed it i was thinking thats not wright. :oops:
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

A arrow inlay would be sharp. If you dont mind I would like to trail a long and picking up some ideas also.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Wow. :shock:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I love purple heart wood. Ive used it for a gun handle on my grandfathers double action 22 short 6 shooter.

Its an exotic wood that comes from South America area, some say its endangered i dont think so or it would be harder to get than it is. Its very resiliant to bugs. It is very resiliant to the weather.Its grainy. In chosing the wood some is hard and some is soft its all in the luck of the draw. If it has not been in the sun it will be a light color after exsposue it gets darker purple.I hit mine with a propane torch and it darkened up a bit....Its a great choice for wood working in my opinion..here is a link for pictures and more info.

http://www.exoticwoodgroup.com/about_purpleheart.htm

.good luck bud I can already tell that is going to be on hell of a stock for you..I would only recomend carving it down as much as possible for the wieght factor..keep us posted on your progress..

Hoss
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!