Wondering?? Want all Input!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

"State Officer" is what they call them down here. I suspect that is so the state can use them as cheap labor, as they refuse to pay the men a decent wage. I see them directing traffic sometimes. Sad. Back before then, the regular cops would call them out to the side of the road to have a look see in people's cars. They would dig around looking for squirrels and come out with cocaine. Amazing.

They publish a run down of their activities every month. It reads like a report a state trooper would write. DUI, DUI, Drugs, speeding, DUI, drugs, DUI, stolen car, wanted on warrants, etc. Then there are a few cases of wildlife violations mixed in. I resent it all very much, as they are supposed to be protecting our wildlife, not crusing the roads looking to write traffic citations. But it seems most of what they do any more is just that.

The salary thing is just pathetic. I have come to know several of these wardens, and they could probably get qualified for food stamps. I wrote a letter to the governor complaining, and explaining how important their jobs are, and of course, they still get paid less than every other law enforcement officer in the state. Even though they will go on a creep back in the bushes and lay for hours waiting to nab someone. Very courageous.

I'd have to say, if a warden wanted to enter your car, house, business, barn, whatever, you could probably complain. Doubt it would do much though. What good would it do for a warden to walk up, suspecting that you have manatee steaks in your freezer, and you get to simply say- "No" ?
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

dick195252 wrote:It would be a COLD day in Hell, That they will enter my house WITHOUT a search warrant. :twisted:
I cant remember their policy, but awhile back before I got into law enforcement also when I was a lil kid they came to my dads house since they thought someone had given him illegal deer meat. They came in and looked in the freezer. Granted we didnt have anything to hide and I cant remember if my dad invited them in or not? But I believe they can come in without a warrant. They definitely can look all through your vehicle if they have reason. You can find a reason to do something no matter what.

im not sure if they need a warrant for your house now or not.. if they dont and you do stop then, then more than likely its really gonna be a big mess. Normally leads to people getting arrested. It suks and its nothing but a big hassle.

but they arent going to come knockin on any doors unless they have a VERY good reason these days. Normally if they do, its 5-6 of them and they have probably been watching the person for days and have everything in hand to search

basically.. do no wrong and its nothing to hide. Ive even had them search my truck at checkpoints even when I see them everyday. If they can enter your house and you stop them, then its going to cost more in court fee's than its worth. Its a sad system, but we have to deal with it. Ill check friday if I see any wardens and see if they need a warrant to search a house
Popacap

Post by Popacap »

I just took the hunter safety class 4 days ago and they said you can be inspected at any time on any property. Even private property. A person in class ask if it was ok to hunt on a ATV if you were on private land. He said no not without a permit. The conservation uses planes and helicopters to keep an eye on things and if they see you hunting from an ATV no matter were they will probably sent an agent on the ground to see if you have the proper permit to do so.
2009 Vortex
lumizone
Excel string
125 grn F3 Trophy Ridge broadheads
Firebolt arrows
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

The Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution is the part of the Bill of Rights which guards against unreasonable searches and seizures. It was ratified as a response to the abuse of the writ of assistance, which is a type of general search warrant, in the American Revolution. The amendment specifically requires search and arrest warrants be judicially sanctioned and supported by probable cause. Search and arrest should be limited in scope according to specific information supplied to the issuing court, usually by a law enforcement officer, who has sworn by it.

In Mapp v. Ohio, 367 U.S. 643 (1961), the Supreme Court ruled that the Fourth Amendment applies to the states by way of the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. The Supreme Court has also ruled that certain searches and seizures violated the Fourth Amendment even when a warrant was properly granted.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

dick195252 wrote:The Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution is the part of the Bill of Rights which guards against unreasonable searches and seizures. It was ratified as a response to the abuse of the writ of assistance, which is a type of general search warrant, in the American Revolution. The amendment specifically requires search and arrest warrants be judicially sanctioned and supported by probable cause. Search and arrest should be limited in scope according to specific information supplied to the issuing court, usually by a law enforcement officer, who has sworn by it.

In Mapp v. Ohio, 367 U.S. 643 (1961), the Supreme Court ruled that the Fourth Amendment applies to the states by way of the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. The Supreme Court has also ruled that certain searches and seizures violated the Fourth Amendment even when a warrant was properly granted.
the question is.. do you want to deal with the time and money involved to go through courts :P

as said, unless you have pot or untagged animals in your houe.. then its no worry

let them do their job:) and they will leave most alone :D
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Federal game wardens can and will go where they want if they think nessesary, search your whole house and land, this is nation wide, I think Ray was talking about the old fella turkey hunting out of a tree stand over bait and he threaten the warden, and he was on his own land, so the warden shot him, I don't think that one is over yet.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
saxman

Post by saxman »

Here they are state officers and can come to your home anytime they please.They can pull you over and write a ticket
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

gogo wrote:same thing in ontario the game wardens have more rights then the police. they can search anywhere anytime.

What we have to cover Ontario. Here to cover 40 square miles we have 1. Until deer season then they ship game wardens into this area.
Arkbow

wardens

Post by Arkbow »

Here in Arkansas they can do as they see fit; but usually they don't bother anyone unless they have a real good cause or some strong evidence of wrongdoings;
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
Popacap

Post by Popacap »

dick195252 wrote:The Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution is the part of the Bill of Rights which guards against unreasonable searches and seizures. It was ratified as a response to the abuse of the writ of assistance, which is a type of general search warrant, in the American Revolution. The amendment specifically requires search and arrest warrants be judicially sanctioned and supported by probable cause. Search and arrest should be limited in scope according to specific information supplied to the issuing court, usually by a law enforcement officer, who has sworn by it.

This all would be true without a Patriot Act. The rules have changed. See ya Bill of Rights!
2009 Vortex
lumizone
Excel string
125 grn F3 Trophy Ridge broadheads
Firebolt arrows
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I did some digging today in court and yes they can come into yoru hosue at anytime if they have reason. Say they are watching you and you take something into your house. That alone gives them reason to pursue you into your house. Same for deputies also.

Now say they get a call someone is doing something against the law.. normally they go get the warrant riight then. So all ends are covered.

bottom line, it will depend on the situation, but its always a way around anything. Isnt is a lovely system;)

as said, do no wrong and its no big deal... Once you get into court, it will become more trouble than its worth
wabi

Post by wabi »

Key word - UNREASONABLE
If they were going door to door searching freezers for illegal game meat it would be unreasonable, but if they have probable cause to believe you have illegal game meat and you might dispose of it while they are going through the process of getting a search warrant they are probably in the right to enter without a warrant. If you are innocent then they would be in a tight spot, but if you were guilty it would probably hold up in court.

My take on the issue is NEVER give permission, even if you are innocent - but never try to forcibly restrain an officer from doing his job or never make threats toward the officer.
wabi
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I just went into a DNR station to pick up my crossbow permit. On the walls were a nice display of five owls small to large all from the area. Wish a resident could do that. I found a owl hit by a car and thought it would look good mounted in my home. I took it to a local taxidermist and he said he could'nt touch it and he did'nt think I could even transport it legally. Well I get some are above the LAW. :roll:
ronaldlupe

Re: game warden

Post by ronaldlupe »

crazyfarmer wrote:
Sopchoppy wrote:In most states, if not all, Game Wardens have the same authority as any Law Enforcement officer. Where the law is concerned, there is no such thing as "Private Property".
as a Deputy, they have more power than me.. All they need is resonable doubt that something is going on. They do follow certain procedures though. But they could be in your woods or backyard without any permission..

If they got permission for everywhere, how would they catch the poachers and lawbreakers. I dont think its gonna work if they call and say hey, we will be in your woods today. So dont break any laws :P

btw, wildlife crimes are far worse than most of the criminal cases we try in court. You get punished more for game fines than you would if you broke into someones house, robbed it, and then set fire to the place :!:

but they are doing a job.. if someone isnt doing anything wrong than everything should be fine. Now if someone gets shot because you didnt know they were there, well its nothing you can do about that. Ill give them props, they are brave for walking through the woods without blaze orange on during gun season. I personally dont want that job!
Does anyone else think that hunting purely for sport is the most pointless thing ever? i think they should consider out wild life..

Post by bucont »

ronaldlupe

Some hunt for sport, some hunt for food and sport, and some hunt for food. I have no problem with any sport hunter as long as they have the game butchered and it is given to someone in need.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA