anyone browse the net while hunting?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

huntone wrote:I know what you are talking about crazy. I'm retired and I'll be hunting
mostly by myself. My farm is miles away from where I live and for my
own piece of mind and for emergency reasons..........pydpiper may
have sold me on that Blackberry 8900.....we will see
LOL.. im getting one also.. I always have a cell, but I'd rather read this forum than play blackjack on another little handheld :D :lol:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

planter wrote:Thats great harold.. You have dial up at home and cutting edge technology in your stand. :wink: My cell phone stinks so bad I can't take advantage of a berry in the tree. Heck my pac-man game even gets lousy reception.

I only live and hunt 20 miles from boston and have stinky reception. I envy you guys who could actually use yours to call for help. Best I can do is let the wife know where to pick up my broken body with a note. :?
lol.. another reason I want internet on my phone.. I can DL a picture actaully :P
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The 8900, Javelin, is quite a remarkable chunk of technology..
It has a built in GPS, still allows you to navigate outside of a cellular network, just like any other GPS that sees the sky, you can customize a profile so when you head out hunting it will only recognize calls from who you want to hear from, ignoring all the rest and sending them straight to voice mail.
My wife would never call me while I was hunting, if she did it would be a simple vibration on my side and I would instantly know something was severely wrong, and no hunt would keep me away from that.
If I had to hide from my wife with my phone or anything else I would sooner change that aspect of my life before I changed the means of communication.
Like crazy, I hunt every day, eventually it begins to grow thin. If I hunted a few times a week I would be happy listening to the birds, but when I spend 60+ hours a week in the woods I need to stay connected, I am a father, business owner and a hunter, they can all be easily managed with the right equiptment.
Having the ability to stay connected doesn't mean you have to, I don't get to my stand for the sole purpose of surfing the internet, but when the time is right, and the enviroment allows, it is a great tool to keep a guys/gals mind from growing bored and losing the ability to focus and remain still.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
huntone

Post by huntone »

These are more points to think about. I can pick up at my farm, but it's
not the best reception. I can forget the cell for a stretch of the highway
to and from........I wonder if these new ones would be better or worse?

Oh.... we posted at the same time pydpiper......I think you just answered my question
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
mikej

Post by mikej »

crazyfarmer wrote:
hmmm.. guess I can look at playboy while hunting :P should keep me awake
google also has plenty of pics of tiffany crazy. :lol: :wink: i find using the blackberry a very good way to pass the time in a stand , i would go with buttons also i had a touch screen before and would never have another one huge pita to use and scratched very easily
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

So if you are using the "Apple" I phone while hunting could that be considered baiting :lol:
And with reading another post about the law just to get you thinking. It is law here in Georgia that you cannot use electronic calling devices in the persuit of game :wink:
My phone doesn't have service in any of the areas I hunt so I'm safe 8)
Why ride when you can walk!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

mikej wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:
hmmm.. guess I can look at playboy while hunting :P should keep me awake
google also has plenty of pics of tiffany crazy. :lol: :wink: i find using the blackberry a very good way to pass the time in a stand , i would go with buttons also i had a touch screen before and would never have another one huge pita to use and scratched very easily
they are already saved to a file;) 1 click and Tiffany is on my screen
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

don't use mine to surf the web but deer season my brother and I text back and forth in the woods when we want to comunicate. Text wife what time we are leaving and then supper is ready when I get home
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

wheelie wrote:don't use mine to surf the web but deer season my brother and I text back and forth in the woods when we want to comunicate. Text wife what time we are leaving and then supper is ready when I get home
That brings up a good point.................. In some states, electronic communication devices are illegal to use while hunting. I believe that they were after 2-way radios with the laws, but I wonder if they would bust you for having a cell with you? :?

If any of you all are in a state that has a law such as this, you may want to check it out before taking a cell phone with you. Just something to think about. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I'm new to the iphone so I will try it this season
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
sits in trees

Post by sits in trees »

naa, im to busy enjoying a whole differant atmosphere when i'm sitting in my stand.
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

[/quote]That brings up a good point.................. In some states, electronic communication devices are illegal to use while hunting. I believe that they were after 2-way radios with the laws, but I wonder if they would bust you for having a cell with you?

I seriously doubt any would go as far as to cite you on this. But guess it depends on how you are using it. The law was designed to keep people from using communication to ambush or use as an advantage to aid in hunting. I saw a group doing this in Colorado elk hunting one year and it really let me see why the law was created. They had people as standers and drivers and were communicating as to all of their goings ons. Didn't appear to be for safety but for an advantage.
I think having a cell phone with you should almost be a must now days for safety reasons. I just wish mine had better signal for the places that I hunt.
Why ride when you can walk!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I don't surf. But knowing the score of all of the college football games while I'm in the stand tends to keep me in the stand longer. Otherwise I tend to get convinced that I'm missing a good game. I haven't considered streaming audio, yet. :)

DuckHunt
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

groundpounder wrote:I seriously doubt any would go as far as to cite you on this. But guess it depends on how you are using it. The law was designed to keep people from using communication to ambush or use as an advantage to aid in hunting.
wheelie wrote:don't use mine to surf the web but deer season my brother and I text back and forth in the woods when we want to comunicate.
That's my point exactly and the reason I made the comment. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
War Paint

Post by War Paint »

Love my I phone.