Baiting in agricultural area?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Baiting in agricultural area?

Post by ninepointer »

I had some success baiting with corn last year, but since my area has lots of corn, beans, etc., I didn't bother starting until late in the season after the snow arrived. This year, the closest field to my stand only consists of wheat stubble and weeds :(, but there are lots of food crops on other fields.

I'd be baiting with corn again, because my stand already overlooks several wild pear trees which drop their fruit in the late fall. I'm wondering if there is there any sense in starting with corn now, or would I be throwing money away?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Houndsman

Post by Houndsman »

I would definately start now.Probably you should have started sooner,not sure when your season starts.Sometimes it takes them awhile to start hitting a bait pile on a regular basis.Now you may be competing with others who have been baiting and the deer are already using those piles regularly.
Last edited by Houndsman on Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

When I used to do just a little baiting, I'd start October 1. However, I never put out very much at one time. I'd take a 5 quart ice cream pail full of corn and put it in two spots; 1/2 at each. Within just a couple of weeks the deer would be there waiting for the stuff.

I always took it back on the atv and never got off. The last year I baited, I took a hunter to sit in one of my blinds. I took him there on the atv and also had that bucket of corn. I counted 36 does and 3 bucks. They were all over just watching me. I stopped and let the hunter off at my blind and went on my way. It had no effect on the deer!

Yes, corn will draw deer where nothing else will....even in farm country which is where we are.
Keep smiling!
Dennis