550 cord okay for cocker rope?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Corpsvette

550 cord okay for cocker rope?

Post by Corpsvette »

Not sure what happened tonight but I had a dry fire and busted cocker rope. I fixed the cocker with 550 cord which seems okay but has some stretching but worked. Anyone else use 550 cord? Saw someone referring to paracord which I think is the same thing. Also, what should I look for concerning a dry fire. I saw no cracks or spiderwebs. It was sort of a controlled release, not a full on dry fire. I was having fun up until that point.

Jim
Excalibur Equinox In Hands
Oh yes, I am a new CB addict!
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

rub a cotton ball all over the limbs and see if there are any snags.....if there arent you should be good to go.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Your bow is fine, and 550 will make a perfect substitute for the rope.
All is well. :D

The 550 also make a great spare stringing aid, just a loop in each end orientated like the plastic holes on the original and it will slide right in to your pocket.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Missouri_Hunter

Post by Missouri_Hunter »

I was reading through the topics last night and found this one....WOW what luck....I was searching all over creation looking for my stringing aid....I couldn't find it anywhere...I was just about to go to Cabela's and pay $21.00 for another one...that seemed a little pricey...so any way after reading this thread I went downstairs and cut me a piece of 550 and made myself a pretty decent little backup stringing aid...it worked like a charm...put 4 or 5 twists in the string and brace height is back to normal....thanks for the great tip...(I had to adjust the lenght a little due to the initial stretching of the 550 but after a few little knots along the lenght of the cord it was back to the correct lenght) GOOD TIP !!!
John Rogers
Florissant, MO
US ARMY (Retired)
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/johnrogers59/HPIM0800.jpg[/img]

2006 Exocet 200, Max Zone Scope,
Groundpounder Mount, Steady Eddy
Gold Point Lazer II's, 100 gr. G5 Montecs
TrapperBob

Post by TrapperBob »

MH

As the number states, good to 550 # pull. I am sure no crossbow has that kid of pull weight. I once pulled a volkswagon from the ditch with 4 wraps and yanked away. Good stuff that para cord.

Bob
Phoenix
Excalibur Flemish string
Easton 2216 Bolt
150 Boltcutter BH

Kids who trap and hunt don't mug little old ladies
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

TrapperBob wrote:MH

As the number states, good to 550 # pull. I am sure no crossbow has that kid of pull weight. I once pulled a volkswagon from the ditch with 4 wraps and yanked away. Good stuff that para cord.

Bob
Haha. I had completely forgotten about this until I read that: I once towed a car about 3 miles to a service station with about 6 loops of para cord. If you can jump out of a perfectly serviceable airplane with 150 lbs of kit on your back and the only thing holding you to your parachute is 550 cord, it's gotta be pretty good stuff right?!?!

I used to have spools of 550 and I never thought I'd run out of the stuff but I did many years ago. I recently saw a spool of 550 for sale at an army surplus shop for a ridonculous amount of money. At that price, I'll wait til my son goes Airborne.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s