Reminder!!!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

raydaughety

Reminder!!!!!

Post by raydaughety »

It's a tradition for me this time of year. To log on here and talk to my friends about a subject that I am extremely passionate about. The use of a full body safety harness, not a waist belt or one of those cheap chest straps that used to come with stands. Most, if not all new stands come with a full body harness of some type. The best reason that I can give you for wearing one can be found right here: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ht=harness

I'm certainly not the only one here on the forum that has some type of disability and I think that I speak for us all when I say; "PLEASE be careful." Jay didn't have to die at 16 years of age :cry: . His father is lost now that his only son is gone. The well known and loved football coach rarely leaves his house anymore and when you do see him, his head hangs low and he avoids eye contact with most folks. You see, after Jay's funeral, his dad told me that all he had to do was pay $80.00 for a harness and his boy would still be here. Jay's death was certainly God's will and nothing would nor could change that but the manner of his departure could have been different. Not only has his mother lost her son but she has also lost her husband in a strange kind of way because he lives with constant guilt over his boy's death.

I have mentioned Jay's death several times here on the forum to serve as a reminder to be safe out there. Am I playing on your emotions in an attempt to get you to buy a harness? You dang straight I am :!: Is Jay's story actually true? Unfortunately, yes it is. So, as all the celebrities say on the HSS commercial, there are people depending on you to come home safely and it is your responsibility to make sure that you do so.

I would like to list a few things that I feel are important for our survival in the outdoors. I ask you to chime in and add to that list for all of our benefit. Perhaps you had an experience that left you saying "if I only had a .............." So please, fill in the blanks :wink: .

Wear a TMA approved full body safety harness while hunting from an elevated tree stand and also while climbing to and from your perch.

Take your cell phone with you in case of an emergency.

Tell someone where you are going and when you should be back.

Try and hunt with someone and be sure that you have some type communication between the two of you. e

Always have "something" in your pack for first aid. I'm talking about anything that will help stop bleeding. Preferably some 4"x4" bandages and small roll of gauze. A couple of aspirin ect..........

Ok guys and gals, chime in and tell us what you carry to make sure that you stay safe :wink: .

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you folks here on the excalibur mean a lot to me and I am proud to be a part of this family so please......
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

planter wrote::oops: :oops: I am a closet user of an old belt system. Not the cinching noose style but a belt none the less. The harnesses that come with the stands are uncomfortable and clang too much and are a pain to put on. I would buy an HS saftey system but I wanted to try out the G5 Montecs instead. :oops:
The boy is appying to NYU and Cornell and might even get in. The girl is taking drivers education and giggles far too much. I guess I have just outed myself as a moron. :cry:
Planeter, :roll: :roll: :roll:.............
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

This is a good reminder that while climbing a tree anything can happen. I just bought a hss vest after climbing "naked" for years. Next on the list is something to keep me safe while climbing and decending.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Here's something that most guys don't think of as a safety item:

An easily accessible, acceptably sharp fixed-blade or easy-to-open knife!

Anyone who ever straps themselves to a tree-stand with a belt, chest, or full-vest harness should have a knife instantly available ... so that if they get caught or hung they can cut themselves free.

Perhaps if young Jay had been able to access a sharp knife, he could have cut himself loose and would not have perished.

It's better to fall than to strangle.

I always emphasize the carrying of an accessible knife to canoeists and kayakers, too. There are too many ropes and lines in rivers to risk being entangled.

Keep a sharp knife handy always, folks ... they're useful in many ways, and can save your life in many ways, too.
Grizz
crabclaw

hss vest

Post by crabclaw »

Thanks for the reminder. Ive been using the hss vest for the past 3 years. how ever I was not hooked up from the ground up.
this year Ive added the hss life line to my three hangon stand sites . now I will be hooked up from the moment my feet leave the ground and back down again.
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Grizzly Adam wrote:Here's something that most guys don't think of as a safety item:

Anyone who ever straps themselves to a tree-stand with a belt, chest, or full-vest harness should have a knife instantly available ... so that if they get caught or hung they can cut themselves free.

Perhaps if young Jay had been able to access a sharp knife, he could have cut himself loose and would not have perished.

I always emphasize the carrying of an accessible knife to canoeists and kayakers, too. There are too many ropes and lines in rivers to risk being entangled.

Keep a sharp knife handy always, folks ... they're useful in many ways, and can save your life in many ways, too.
+1 I clip a one hand open folder right on my harness strap.

Two seasons ago my brothers finally started wearing a vest style harness. For years that wouldn't wear a harness becuase it was to much of a pain to untangle and get on even though I would show them how mine was marked and how easy it was with just a little practice/use. Now I've got to get them to use it climbing and decending. I switched years ago to the knot type tether which has made it much less of a hassle, I need to convince them of the same.

Thanks for the timely reminder....
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Oh, has it been mentioned to adjust tether so that there is some tension while seated?

I also place my screw hook just below the tether loop. Don't know if it is really necessary but it makes me feel better and reults in my not leaving hooks in the tree.

Take care...
Big John

g

Post by Big John »

Good Thread to re-post Ray. People like me need to remember a few more items to bring in. I need to bring in Nitro, in spray version as well, and cell phone is always with me. If anyone has health problems they must bring what is necessary for their survival if need , if only to keep you going till help arrives. When I go in this season it is with great care after last years fiasco. :wink: :evil: I am living proof that what can go wrong will!!

John
Last edited by Big John on Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Great point Grizz!!! I have a tiny razor knife that pupose and that purpose only. It's only about 2" long, blue in color and I bought it at Lowes. So, guys and gals, I know for a fact that I mised some items that should be taken to the woods.....help us out with what you take.

BTW, I saw a commercial on the outdoor channel and it was a devise that actually controlled you decent from the stand in the event that you feel and were left hanging by the vest / harness. Does anyone know the name of this device.. Also, does anyone know where I might pruchase a few Carbiners that are rated for a couple hundred pound for Tyler. He doesn't weigh that much but thought that they would come in handy for him. I'm staying on the ground for now.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
huntone

Post by huntone »

Grizzly Adam wrote:Here's something that most guys don't think of as a safety item:

x2 very true grizz, I always carry one of those clip knives.. Thanks Ray, I just bought a HSS system this year
and the life line to go with it.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

This will be my first year getting off the ground, and I will absolutely be wearing a harness, matter of fact I practice with it every day.
Thanks to Ray I will be able to bring my Son with me, Ray and Tyler have passed Tylers HSS on to my son.
Safe? Yes.
Thanks Ray :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Esox

Post by Esox »

I'm getting too old not to be safe... In the past I had some scary experiences in a tree but not anymore... Got a new HSS vest for this year... Now I can feel 100% safe up in a tree.....
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Guys that is awesome!!!!!!! David, it was a previledge to help you and your son out with a harness. I was going to send my old one to Grizz but I have no idea how he would attach it to that 5 gallon bucket that he calls a stand :lol: :lol: :lol: . Anyhow, it's great to see that you all are taking this very seriously :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
TrapperBob

Post by TrapperBob »

I spent this weekend mostly in the stand. At 500 in the morning had breaky and coffee and donned the fall arrest. I ride the 4 wheeler 27 minites to the stand and back and get back to the camp at 830 at night have supper and then take off my fall arrest. I am so used to wearing it that I feel comfortable in it.

Safety equipment...It is a must in my books

Bob
Phoenix
Excalibur Flemish string
Easton 2216 Bolt
150 Boltcutter BH

Kids who trap and hunt don't mug little old ladies
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Thanks for the Reminder Ray.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]