First deer of season tried rage

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Arkbow

doe harvest

Post by Arkbow »

First of all, congrats on the first one of the season; I agree with all here that you hit bone and probably a part of the spine; it really doesn't matter because you have meat for yourself and the ones you love.. :D

On the amount of meat you got back it sounds a little low to me but I don't know your butcher so I will not allow myself to say anything negative but I was having the same problem with my processor so I bought a video and learned how to process my own deer; it trully made a world of difference and I get the enjoyment of doing it all myself; you may want to look at doing your own deer processing; it will make a big difference; good luck on the rest of your season
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
kanehill

Post by kanehill »

This is why I don't use mechanical blades anymore. I have used Rage and Spitfires and just don't have the penetration of a fixed blade.
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

46 lbs of meat from a 110 lb deer sounds right to me. Wild animals are a mostly bone and hide - very skinny compared to domestic animals.
Big D

Post by Big D »

I was very happy with that amount of meat I got back. I usually get around 35 to 40 pounds from a deer that size. I thought about processing deer myself in the past, but I am glad I don't. After a hard hunt and long deer drag, there is limited time with a family and the last thing I want to do is process a deer. Also, I no fixed blades penetrate better but I have killed 41 deer with a crossbow and mechanicals and I really don't think anything would of went through what ever I hit. I want to say thanks again for all the replys and a great forum.

Good Luck hunting
Big D