First deer of season tried rage

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big D

First deer of season tried rage

Post by Big D »

On saturady evening I harvested my first doe of the season. Here in southwestern pa we have a early antlerless season before the regular oct 3 archery season. I hunted with the rage 2 blade for the first time. The shot was between 25-30 yards and I used the 30 yard mark. I hit the doe slightly high above the shoulder and the deer dropped. After thrashing for a little while and a horrible death cry, I put another arrow between the neck and shoulder. This was the only shot I had. I am using a equinox,boo string, 535 grain 2219 alum. arrow with brass weights up front screwed into the insert and a rage 2 blade. Since I was using such a powerful x-bow and heavy arrows , I was surprised the first arrow was not a pass through. I was happy with the results and must of hit a lot of shoulder bone. I was shocked when I got back 46 piounds of meat, after taping the deer around 110 pounds. Any feedback on the arrow not passing through would be appreciated.

Thanks BIG D
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congrats on the doe!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like you hit a shoulder blade?
wabi
saxman

Post by saxman »

x2
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

congrats on Doe, possible that rages blades were plowing thru bone
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Congrats on your doe!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

if the deer dropped like that you more than likely hit upper shoulder and spine.. bone, bone, and bone..

I wouldnt worry about the pass through since the deer dropped :P

if it matters, sometimes I cant get pass throughs with my ML'er at 20 yards... it just depends on where and what you hit!
skyhunter

Post by skyhunter »

Any feedback on the arrow not passing through would be appreciated.
Deer don't often "drop" when hit with arrows. Normally a deer dropping in its tracks indicates a spinal cord / crippling hit. Did you check for your broadhead in the spinal column vertebrae? Sounds like that is what halted the arrow.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

skyhunter wrote:
Any feedback on the arrow not passing through would be appreciated.
Deer don't often "drop" when hit with arrows. Normally a deer dropping in its tracks indicates a spinal cord / crippling hit. Did you check for your broadhead in the spinal column vertebrae? Sounds like that is what halted the arrow.

I agree that would be the only time, when they walk beneath me thats what I shoot for the spine, check the spine out

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
mikej

Post by mikej »

congrats , if it dropped in in its tracks i'd say spine also
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Big D

Post by Big D »

I really don't think it was a spine shot. I climbed really high probably over 20 feet and the shoot angle hit right above the shoulder at 28 yards. When I tried to remove the arrow I lost the broadhead and insert; therefore, were ever I hit it was stuck bad and did not want to come out. I no the spine drops near the shoulder so maybe I did catch it but at that distance it looked on top of the shoulder. The deer did spin around on the ground and thrashed his head until the second shot. I do believe the excalibur has the power and energy to drop deer with out hitting the spine. In 3 years I shot 8 deer with my new equinox and 4 of them dropped immediately and 1 was a definite spine shot so regardless this bow is awesome and I thank all of you for the feedback.

Big D
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Congrats on the doe, agree with the bone hit.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Big D wrote:I really don't think it was a spine shot. I climbed really high probably over 20 feet and the shoot angle hit right above the shoulder at 28 yards. When I tried to remove the arrow I lost the broadhead and insert; therefore, were ever I hit it was stuck bad and did not want to come out. I no the spine drops near the shoulder so maybe I did catch it but at that distance it looked on top of the shoulder. The deer did spin around on the ground and thrashed his head until the second shot. I do believe the excalibur has the power and energy to drop deer with out hitting the spine. In 3 years I shot 8 deer with my new equinox and 4 of them dropped immediately and 1 was a definite spine shot so regardless this bow is awesome and I thank all of you for the feedback.

Big D
yes, but if you hit above the shoulder, you hit the nerve or something. Its nothing wrong with that. You get an instant drop. They WILL still thrash and etc, but they cant get up or sometimes they cant even move at all. Just depends on what nerve was cut. BTW, you did right by getting the 2nd arrow in. I dunno if the deer could even feel pain, but it didnt suffer any after at. Good job:)

ive shot high a few times by accident and had the same outcome.... Everyone's hit a deer in the spinal area before :D If the head wouldnt come out, it was definitely wedged in bone
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Congratulations 8)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
bobby2bears

Post by bobby2bears »

Sometimes a higher shot can snap the ribs apart so abrptly that it will literally 'break' a deers back. Sounds like that is the case here, particularly with your heavier arrow setup. You have tons of kinetic energy. Either way congrats.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Great Info! Thanks alot

Big D