G5 or SLICKTRICKS. That is the question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

blackdi

G5 or SLICKTRICKS. That is the question

Post by blackdi »

Ok I am a G5 man all the way. Till I tried shooting some Slicktricks today. I was compareing them, Both are 100grs. I shoot a 22' Beman-vr brake. Carbon ICS Lighting Bolts. At 52 yards today off a bench the Slicktricks shot a little better that G5. Both Groups were inpressive. So much that (hate to say it). I am thinking of useing slicktricks a week from sat. Question---- At 40yrds. Will the slicks make a pass threw??
So far even with my Elk I have never had a deer run off with a arrow sticking out of them. Do Slick Trick have good penatration down range??
I am shooting a Exocet.
Terry
Black Diamond Kennles
Home Of
BLACK DIAMOND ICE MAN
BLACKDIAMOND COVE
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

thats a very hard ? to answer and not be leary. so many factors go into a pass through. i had pass through on nice 4 pt last yr. shot 15 yds or about. went 18 yds or so did a # on him. if no shoulder or leg bones get hit, then yes.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Cossack

!)

Post by Cossack »

Complete passthoughs at under (under!) 300 fps for me.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
wabi

Post by wabi »

40 yards on a deer?
It should unless you hit heavy bone (like a shoulder joint).
I would give the advantage to the Montec, though. If "shaving sharp" the Montec would be cutting on contact.
I would be careful with 40 yard shots on deer, though. That's getting into the range where they could "jump the string" on the shot. I know that's a distance where a lot of people successfully kill them, but I prefer to get them a little closer.
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

as said, pass through will just depend on the angle, distance, and etc... any bhead should make a pass through. But if you hit both front shoulders its hard to say..

shoot which ever your bow liked best;)
skyhunter

Post by skyhunter »

crazyfarmer wrote:as said, pass through will just depend on the angle, distance, and etc... any bhead should make a pass through. But if you hit both front shoulders its hard to say..

shoot which ever your bow liked best;)
Almost always overlooked and rarely ever mentioned when the "passthrough" question is asked is shot distance. Yea, KE and where and what is hit are major factors, but shot distance is key. What might be a passthrough at 20 yards might not at 40.

I tested some 125 slicks today and am not so sure about their flight. I will test some more tomorrow. BTW, what G5 were you testing.
xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

What G5 are you shooting?
Team Dryfire
blackdi

Post by blackdi »

Sorry I forget- I shoot the Montec 100gr 1 1-16 cutting dia.. Plus 4in Feathers. I did talk to another friend tonight. He did say that when he tried them, they would plain for him?? He shoots an Excalibur also. Don't know witch model.. Like I said before I shot off a bench at 52yds. 8 shots with 2 bolts 22inches long.. Thank,s again
Black Diamond Kennles
Home Of
BLACK DIAMOND ICE MAN
BLACKDIAMOND COVE
Sopchoppy

pass through

Post by Sopchoppy »

Last year, 3 pass throughs on 3 deer. First, was small buck at 18 yards shot from 12' tree stand. Wasp Hammer clean cut 2 ribs going in and 2 coming out and buried 6" in the ground. Recovery was 30 yards. Second was a big doe at 22 yards shot from ground blind. High double lung hit, bolt was buried under top layer of leaves and dirt 10 yards past the doe. Recovery was an unbelievable 300 yards. Last, was another doe at 25 yards shot from the ground. Hit just behind the shoulder, or I thought until dressing, double lung, recovery was 35 yards. The bolt shattered about 6" from the nock. The short end with lumenok was about 3' from where she was hit. Later found the other end of the bolt 25 yards past the hit. When dressing the doe, I found one blade of the Wasp had hit the back edge of the shoulder blade, made a perfect slice through the bone. My guess is there was enough energy transferred back to the bolt that it shattered. I have seen this on hogs hit in the shoulder. As most have said, it's about distance, angle, and where deer is hit.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I've put a couple Slicks through deer both w/ Emax and Ecet, neither even slowed the arrow down at 30 or so yds. I don't have any 40 yd experiences.

I put one through a 1000 lb cow buff, 446 gr total arrow weight, about 290 fps at 20 yds and the 100 gr Slick was sticking out about 2" on the off side after cutting a big rib bone in half.

I haven't shot any G-5's but they seem to 'read well'.
"Eze 18:21"
vaguru

Post by vaguru »

5 deer last year with the Slicks, both 100 and 125 rn mags. Distances 15-41 yds, speed, 355 fps. Impacts were broadside ribs, quarting away ribs, spine, frontal ribs. All complete pass throughs, The frontal rib shot exited just below the anal opening, traveled anothe 10 yds. Was shot at 24 yds. I like them. Large exit holes, most measured around 2", great blood trail, but not needed all went 60 yds or less, average was 25yds.
Gold Tip Pro Staff
Bohning Pro Staff
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Using my metal detector, I helped a fellow recover lost bolts from elk kills that were pass throughs at 45 yards (125 Wasp) and 35 yards 125 Slick Trick. I also helped recover pass through bolts on elk using Stryker Magnum 125 grain, 1&1/2" cut) at 30 yards. Unless you hit HEAVY bone, it'll blow through a deer.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
bobby2bears

Post by bobby2bears »

The slicks will do a pass through. You do your part and they will do their part!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Over the last two years, there have been 47 deer kills reported by forum members with an average recovery of 50.85 yards with the Slick Tricks. There have been 17 reported kills with the G5s with an average recovery of 65.58.

I have never tried the G5s. So, I wouldn't be able to compare the two for you.

I have shot the Slick Tricks and like them very much. Their main advantage is the four blades which gives you more cutting surface than most other broadheads.

Not sure if the G5 you are looking at has three or four blades. However, when everything else is basically the same, then I'd go with the broadhead with the most cutting surface.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen