Wisconsin DNR SUCK!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

agingcrossbower

Wisconsin DNR SUCK!

Post by agingcrossbower »

I'm born and raised in wisconsin and the last few years the DNR in our state have been regulating us the Death. Last year for bow you had to shoot a doe before you could shoot a buck. This is for gun and bow. The bigger land owners in my area this year threaten to leave no one hunt their land until they drop the shoot the doe first rule. So, the DNR gave in and this year you can shoot a buck first for gun and bow. Now in their great wisdom want the add another week of gun hunting prior to the traditional Thanksgiving week. Now, for this year the Thanksgiving week is late so it will not effect hunting with bow during the rut. But wait till the next year and the year after that. Their whole logic for this is there are to many deer, THEY SAY. Now, the locals in our area see less and less. I am seriously thinking about hunting out of state for next year. Does any other state have these sort of problems with pricks like these. Sorry is pricks allowed. :evil:
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I was raised in Wisconsin {Monona Grove} At the tender age of 30 I knew it was time to get out! With the State income Tax, No Death penalty, and the Screwed up DNR I had to move. I now live in Tennesse and am loving Retirement to the fullest. We can shoot 3 deer per day only 1 buck per day and only 3 buck for the total year, but doe ar fair game all season long with the bow. We all know you would not shoot that many deer. but YOU get to make the decision on your harvest not the DNR :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

I'd leave Wisconsin quickly. Old man winter doth cometh soon. I can just feel those balmy breezes as they leave the frozen tundra and head your way. Yes sir....run.

Florida has some terrible wildlife regulations, but we got things. 8)

No need to hide in the cabin down here, no sir. No need to scrape the windshield and warm the car. No need to cut, split, lug and stack firewood. I don't have to fill the heating oil tank, and hope the truck's meter was right. No need to carry survival gear in the trunk of the car. No power outages due to ice storms. Just palm trees and no state income tax.

...but Florida has some terrible wildlife regulations.

Our crossbow season is the last week of bow season. Bucks with five inch horns only. Hopefully, that will change. Then we will have paradise.

I also get to go surf fishing alot, man that is a blast. We get pompano, redfish, many other tasty fish and for fun we target tarpon and sharks from the beach. A six foot shark will make your arms sore. It is not like fishing from a boat at all.

Our winters are nice, wonderful even. We have wrap-n-peel days mostly. You put on a jacket, not a coat, and by 10:00 am you are down to a tee shirt. My brother wears shorts year round and doesn't even own a pair of regular jeans. I get to fish year round and love it. We have some football teams that are pretty good as well.

I left Wash DC 13 years ago and have never wished to go back. Florida is home to me now. You can buy some real estate cheap down here too. Lots of old toggers running around the place, and lots of beautiful land. My house backs up to a wilderness area. Miles of nothing but trees and hidden lakes sprung up from sink holes and springs. Not many bears around and absolutely no moose.

It is just that our deer are skinny and small. It does make for an easy drag though. Put all four legs in your hand and carry out like a suitcase.

I say run............what makes you stay ?
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
agingcrossbower

I stay here because I'm disablied 58 and my wife has a good job here. Its hard to take that leap to move. I was thinking of getting a lease in a nearby state to hunt. I fortunately have great close states with trophy size deer to go for. This winter I am going to scout for an out of state hunt during the rut. [ppquote="Undertaker"]I'd leave Wisconsin quickly. Old man winter doth cometh soon. I can just feel those balmy breezes as they leave the frozen tundra and head your way. Yes sir....run.

Florida has some terrible wildlife regulations, but we got things. 8)

No need to hide in the cabin down here, no sir. No need to scrape the windshield and warm the car. No need to cut, split, lug and stack firewood. I don't have to fill the heating oil tank, and hope the truck's meter was right. No need to carry survival gear in the trunk of the car. No power outages due to ice storms. Just palm trees and no state income tax.

...but Florida has some terrible wildlife regulations.

Our crossbow season is the last week of bow season. Bucks with five inch horns only. Hopefully, that will change. Then we will have paradise.

I also get to go surf fishing alot, man that is a blast. We get pompano, redfish, many other tasty fish and for fun we target tarpon and sharks from the beach. A six foot shark will make your arms sore. It is not like fishing from a boat at all.

Our winters are nice, wonderful even. We have wrap-n-peel days mostly. You put on a jacket, not a coat, and by 10:00 am you are down to a tee shirt. My brother wears shorts year round and doesn't even own a pair of regular jeans. I get to fish year round and love it. We have some football teams that are pretty good as well.

I left Wash DC 13 years ago and have never wished to go back. Florida is home to me now. You can buy some real estate cheap down here too. Lots of old toggers running around the place, and lots of beautiful land. My house backs up to a wilderness area. Miles of nothing but trees and hidden lakes sprung up from sink holes and springs. Not many bears around and absolutely no moose.

It is just that our deer are skinny and small. It does make for an easy drag though. Put all four legs in your hand and carry out like a suitcase.

I say run............what makes you stay ?[/quote]
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I used to hunt in WI a lot when I lived in Northern IL. Spent a lot of time up in the Eagle River area and still have a great friend of mine that lives up there year round. We always go up once a year to snowmobile (excuse to hit bars) and visit. Loved hunting grouse up there.

One thing I learned about hunting in WI is that the legislators are the most wishy washy mamby pamby self serving bunch of idiots in office anywhere.

States located in the mid-west should really take a look at the way Ohio manages their wildlife resources. These guys really get it!

And not to open up a can of worms, but FL is just too crowded and the deer are munchkins. If I can ever convince the ice queen that I live with to forgo the snow after deer season ends here in Ohio, I will head to TX and build our "winter home."

I already have our lot picked out.

I don't think mom will complain, lol. :D
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Don't come to MN!~ I can shoot only (1) deer here this yr with ALL implements. Archery, can shoot doe but then that's it. Rifle, have to shoot a buck, unless you get a lottery doe permit, that had to be applied for by Sept 10. Oh, and if you hunt in the late ML season, you have to predict in advance if you're going to shoot the doe with rifle or ML..and not shoot any prior to that time your doe permit is good for. If you shoot a deer with any implement prior to the next stage of the season (archery, rifle, ML), game over. Confused? So am I.
Sure, I can hunt from Sept 19 through Dec...just can't shoot any deer.
So I'm counting coup: paint em with the reticule, touch the trigger with safety on. Got two last nite. One within 15 feet...on the ground!!!
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

If Alberta allowed xbows that would be my 1st choice.

I'm thinking heaven is a lot like riding horseback in those foothills near Black Diamond with prairies stretching as far as you can see to the east and snow dusted mountains to the west. Doesn't get much more perfect than that!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I love the land of my birth and rearing.

I may sometimes disagree with the opinions, beliefs, policies and practices of individuals or groups ... but I would never disparage my home state and it's people ... not at gunpoint.

Speaking ill of your homeland is like slapping your mama ... it just ain't right.

That's just me ... I feel a deep sense of loyalty to place and people.

My two-cent's worth! :D
Last edited by Grizzly Adam on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Grizzly Adam wrote:....Speaking ill of your homeland is like slapping your mama ... it just ain't right.
Well, Grizz, I was born in Chicago and am still an American citizen. I could claim German citizenship as well through my parents. There is NO WAY you could pay me enough to live in Germany or back in Chicago. I'll forever be grateful to the Almighty that my family moved to Alberta when I was 8. Although I've lived in Ontario since '86, a big ol' chunk of my heart is still in the west.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
agingcrossbower

I love my homeland, its the buracrats I dislike a lot. They are college bread and live in Madson. Never go out and ask what the person in the woods is seeing. Will not take advice. They do fly overs to do a deer count. They introduce CWD into the state by transporting elk into it. Now we have big problems with it. That said, love the country but can not stand the DNR. They just got to big.
Grizzly Adam wrote:I love the land of my birth and rearing.

I may sometimes disagree with the opinions, beliefs, policies and practices of individuals or groups ... but I would never disparage my home state and it's people ... not at gunpoint.

Speaking ill of your homeland is like slapping your mama ... it just ain't right.

My two cents worth. :D
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

VixChix wrote: Although I've lived in Ontario since '86, a big ol' chunk of my heart is still in the west.
Vix, I'd say your formative years were spent largely in Alberta ... and your heart tells you where your loyalties lie.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with preferring one place over another, or with leaving one place for another. :D

I was speaking personally ... that's just me.

Does that make sense?

I hope no one misunderstands what I meant.
Grizz
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

agingcrossbower wrote:I love my homeland, its the buracrats I dislike a lot.
I understand perfectly. :D

There are many criticisms I could make against what goes on where I grew up ... but in general, I feel a deep sense of love and loyalty for my homeland.

It's something that's hard to explain. It's deep, and it runs strong. It's roots, I guess.

I meant no offense, of course! :D
Grizz
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Grizzly Adam wrote:I hope no one misunderstands what I meant.
I understood. You were just saying how you feel about your homeland. Your family has rich history where you are!

I don't have that luxury. Our family was somewhat nomadic because of choices my parents made. Because of geographical separation I have very little connection with relatives outside of our small immediate family. I wouldn't know most of them if I met them on the street. I sometimes envy Tim's large family whose roots here in the region go back to the early settlers. But if I'd grown up in my own ancestral home (small German villages) I would have missed out on so much! "Adopted" homelands are sometimes better. :lol:

In defense of Ontario, I must say that I'm grateful for the hunting opportunities we have here. Although the bureaucracy is sometimes maddening, we are fortunate in many ways.

Sounds better than WI for sure!!! :lol:
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

VixChix wrote:I understood. You were just saying how you feel about your homeland. Your family has rich history where you are!
Actually, it's my wife's family that has rich history where we are ... we live on her ancestral homeplace, which we bought from her grandmother. My own family has rich history where I'm from!
Grizz
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

bstout wrote:
Grizzly Adam wrote:My own family has rich history where I'm from!
Planet of the Apes? :D :wink:
:shock: :?: :P
Grizz