A heavy winter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gimpaw

A heavy winter

Post by Gimpaw »

Ok, weather forecasting is like a crap shoot at times, so take this for what it's worth. We've had the same weather man here in west mi for 30 years. He's as good as they come.

He says that the way everything is shaping up, he feels that this winter will be in line with the one that we had in '78. That was a year that stands out from all others in my 50 years.

Now I read a post in here where people are talking about the heavy acorn drop, and that they're seeing a heavy crop on trees that have produced little in years past.

So, is it a wive's tale that a heavy acorn crop means a heavy winter?
"I was young and foolish; now I'm old and foolisher".
Mark Twain
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Not sure but they say the same thing here in Ontario about the black walnuts :?
The best things in life are not things!!
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

Hope so..can't wait to ice fish!! :D
gogo

Post by gogo »

The farmers almanac says a brutal cold and heavy snow season for us here, but Dave Phillips our chief weather man says warmer and less snow this year. Complete opposites I'm betting on the farmers almanac.
catcher

Post by catcher »

Somebody once told me to look at the mountain ash berry,s if there is lots of berry,s there is going to be alot of snow. I have noticed that this year the mountain ash has half the amount on it as last year. I hope so because I ran out of places to put the snow last year.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
Fan of Fall

Post by Fan of Fall »

The forecast for the North East is colder than normal especially December and January. The storms are suppose to track up the I-95 corridor which could mean more snow for us this year in Central Pa instead of all that icy crap we got last year. Which would be nice but I'm not going to hold my breath on the less ice crap.
They are also predicting a few days on the last week of October and the first week of November to be 10-20 degrees F colder than normal. Also possible heavy lake effect snow in the North West PA
Brrrrrr...
Global warming?? :roll:

It's been colder than normal all summer! We had a record cold July this year.

Not sure about the Acorn tale? I’ve seen bumper crop of acorns before and we had fairly mild winters.
"Man is not free unless government is limited.... As government expands, liberty contracts."
(Ronald Reagan)
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I don't mind a little cold and snow. I just don't want the snow we got the last couple of winters. This shot was from 2 winters ago a few miles from my place:

2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I've never believed the thing about heavy acorn crop and lots of snow. I've seen it to be true and also for it to be the exact opposite.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Fan of Fall

Post by Fan of Fall »

Phoenix, I remember you guys getting all that snow. That was something!

I guess it all depends on the how the jet stream tracks.

I remember a guy that would gather up woolly caterpillars and put them in a box to compare the brown and black colors. Supposedly the darker they are the worst the winter will be. :lol:
I've haven't seen any woolly caterpillars yet? Maybe winter isn't coming! :)
"Man is not free unless government is limited.... As government expands, liberty contracts."
(Ronald Reagan)
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

One of the scientists the global warmers always quoted and held up to prove their position, has said some things. Funny.....you haven't heard what he said. That's right, we are actually in a cooling phase and have been the last ten years with temperatures not rising.

The fancy weather scientists are calling for a nasty winter in the central states, with milder in the South East. I suspect it will be rather nice down here- again.

I could never understand why an oak tree would produce more acorns during a tough winter. Unless it tickles when squirrels climb around.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
saxman

Post by saxman »

Looks like it may be a tough one for me.
If it's a hard winter one or two leaves may change to a lighter shade of green.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

gogo wrote:The farmers almanac says a brutal cold and heavy snow season for us here, but Dave Phillips our chief weather man says warmer and less snow this year. Complete opposites I'm betting on the farmers almanac.
Bad bet! Dave is never wrong! :lol:
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Listening to a Liberal media radio station as I rode my snowmobile to work this morning, they were talking about how scientists are warning about how global warming is threatening to melt our Parliamentary Igloo. If that happens, the politicians will have to rap their mucklucks on the snowbanks outside in order to show their discontent. Now they're talking about building the world's largest carbon neutral freezer around the Parliamentary Igloo to keep it from melting. What a waste of tax payer dollars in my opinion.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

lots of acorns and wild grapes on my place this year, for whatever that is worth?
thanks philip
wabi

Post by wabi »

My wife has been checking in on one of our elderly neighbors a few times every day and helping out with a few household chores because his girls work and are unable to do it all. She was driving him to the hospital the other day and he commented on how many walnuts were clustered on the trees. He told her all the "signs" he had seen so far pointed to a cold winter this year.
wabi