opening morning and the rain's heading this way

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

opening morning and the rain's heading this way

Post by wabi »

Got up and checked the weather and the rain was heading toward us quickly. Decided to head out anyway, it just wouldn't be right not to. :lol:

Got to the farm I hunt and the fog was so thick I couldn't see to walk with my headlamp on. Waited until there was enough light to see the ground and headed to the food plot stand. Spooked one deer on the way in, but got to the stand and got settled in. Just finishing up my breakfast cheroot when I thought I saw lightning. A long time later heard thunder. Then a few minutes later lightning again, but the thunder wasn't as far behind as before. Started counting the time lag and soon it was 9 seconds so I decided the stand in the big solitary oak tree in the open might not be the best place to set much longer. Lowered everything down, climbed down, and headed for the truck. I was within 50 yards of the truck when the mild drizzle started turning to light rain. By the time I reached the truck it was definitely rain, and the lightning/thunder was close & sharp.
For once I managed to get out of the woods before it turned into a downpour, so I'm counting this morning as a "successful" hunt! :lol: :lol:

The good news is:
It should be over sometime later this afternoon, so an evening hunt is probable, and tomorrow morning I should be able to get to the stand well before daylight. :D
wabi
MrBigSticks

Post by MrBigSticks »

Good luck
Team: heartstoppers
exocet 200, hawke luminated reticle scope,cow whacker bolts and 125gr slick tricks
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

I was not as smart as you Wabi. I sat in the rain for 2 hours before I got smart!!!
gogo

Post by gogo »

Feel sorry for u guys your in a tough situation. All we hear about up here is all the rain and flooding down south. You guys must be going crazy knowing theres deer around and you can't get to them. Up here we get lots of snow but at least we can still get to them. Good luck guys and hang in there.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

rains about 3 hours away for us here also... i popped a ground blind up on a corn field we cut 2 days ago. I hate doing this last minute, but I dont want my lil girl sitting in a stand while its raining. At this rate, I just hope to see a deer. Conditions couldnt be any worse. Low pressure system and rain... deer may move before it hits I hope
wabi

Post by wabi »

Not looking too promising for an evening hunt now. It's close to 4:00PM and still very overcast and drizzling.
There's always tomorrow! :D
wabi
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

We are staying in Beckers blind and not going out.

It will just be an afternoon of watching doe's in the clover and the buckeyes on TV.

As wabi said, perhaps tomorrow.
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

wabi wrote:Not looking too promising for an evening hunt now. It's close to 4:00PM and still very overcast and drizzling.
There's always tomorrow! :D
Yep I bet i have look at the radar 50 times today.
madrod420

opening day 2009

Post by madrod420 »

got this guy at 7 pm opening day 2009 with my excalibur phoenix also used the x-act mechanical broadheads by excalibur. complete pass through quartering away at 25 yards. crashed 30 yards away over in 1 min. does beware.Image
lscha

Post by lscha »

WELCOME Madrod! Image
Great looking deer. Congratulations!
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Congratulations!!!!!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.