Grouse and shockers w/Excalibur

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TrapperBob

Grouse and shockers w/Excalibur

Post by TrapperBob »

Found out today just how powerful these crossbows really are. While out moose hunting I came upon a couple ruffled grouse. I pulled the broad head tip out of the rail and slid a shocker tipped bolt in.

With the bush being still quite full I did not see the bird till I was 10 feet away. I sighted in on it at the top line and let it rip.

It was a bad shot, I missed the head shot and hit the body. The shocker with wires went right through damaging the breast beyond eat-ability. :oops:

I will know better next time. Back up 20 feet and aim for the head. It would make for better eating for sure. :D

Bob
Phoenix
Excalibur Flemish string
Easton 2216 Bolt
150 Boltcutter BH

Kids who trap and hunt don't mug little old ladies
wabi

Post by wabi »

I can see where careful shot placement would be needed for grouse. Not much eating if the breast is gone! :shock:
Good shooting to hit one, though!
wabi
Normous

Post by Normous »

My Excal put a few grouse in the pot while moose hunting (no moose though). The grouse died instantly using broadheads but I never was able to find those arrows after that.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

How is the grouse hunting up in your area Bob?

Enormous, are you back from moose hunting already??
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Yup Gottsta be careful, lots of power there.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
TrapperBob

Post by TrapperBob »

schnarrfuss, the grouse hunting is slow this year. I think there are quite a few around but there is just to much green stuff still in the bush to see lots. I think we need a couple of cold nights and a windy day to get rid of some of the foliage.

The grouse I have seen were out on the trail picking at gravel for digestion so they were easy to see. Last year after the leaves fell I was maxing out every day I was out. I expended just over one box of 22 cal rounds last year with only 2 misses so we are talking over 50 birds. Lets hope this year is as fruitful.

I try and eat what I harvest for either lunch or supper keeping me legal with 5 a day or possession of 10. I bacon wrap most of them and throw them in the oven with stove top stuffing. They are so small I can eat 3 or 4 in one sitting with enough for bush chicken salad sandwiches for a night snack at the camp.

End season I take what I have left and make bush chicken soup base that I use during the white season for home made soup.

Happy hunting all, I wish you all a prosperous hunt at what every you are hunting.

Bob
Phoenix
Excalibur Flemish string
Easton 2216 Bolt
150 Boltcutter BH

Kids who trap and hunt don't mug little old ladies