nosy bow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

big buck

nosy bow

Post by big buck »

I missed a nice buck when he jumped the string at 52 yards. In the past I have sot all my deer at under 30 yds. I heard something about STS. Anyone got ideas

thanks
FredBear

Re: nosy bow

Post by FredBear »

big buck wrote: Anyone got ideas
52 yards is a VERY long shot in my opinion. I would try maybe shorting the distance between you, and your target.
TPM

Re: nosy bow

Post by TPM »

FredBear wrote:
big buck wrote: Anyone got ideas
52 yards is a VERY long shot in my opinion. I would try maybe shorting the distance between you, and your target.
Very much agreed...
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
big buck

nosy bow

Post by big buck »

I agree it's kinda pushing it. I have been practing alot should the right shot come up and conditions were good. Normaly I would't take it. \
X Bow is still nosy.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

STS will help with noise (a little) and vibration but not enough to help at that distance.

I have yet to hear an Excalibur re-curve that would be quiet enough to stop a deer from jumping the string.

I have a home made version of an STS and it helps mostly with the vibration.

At least it was a clean miss and no wounded animal.

Maybe he will be more cooperative next time and come closer.
Last edited by Dereck on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tenpoint Matrix
Esox

Post by Esox »

Simply keep the shots to bowhunting ranges... Crossbow hunting is not long distance shooting....50+yds is doable but your odds of missing or worse yet wounding increase with extra yardage.....
Ottawaguy

Post by Ottawaguy »

I agree as well... that shot is way too long.
Gives the deer too much time to react.
MOREOVER, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, I believe that too be too long a shot to take with any kind of bow. There is a huge chance of just injuring the animal.
Shorter shot = less reaction time (to noise) = less injured deer.
Win, win, win situation.
Excalibur Phoenix
Factory string (so far...)
Firebolt arrows
Lumizone scope
No noise reduction (so far...)
Razor Head

Post by Razor Head »

I agree with FredBear. According to Excalibur’s ballistics for a 300 FPS arrow the drop is 29.75 inches: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/demo/m ... ent_id=244
I can't recall what ballistics program I got it from but the time of flight at that distance is 1/2 second. It is conceivable that a deer looking at you and not very relaxed could jump the string.

I have an older Exomag and an Exocet, both draw weights of 200 pounds. I shoot both of them alot. I practice with them so much that I know exactly where the arrow is going to impact. My Exomag has a Simmons crossbow scope on it. Each reticle has been verified to shoot at 30, 50, 60, 80 and 90 yards. You read that correctly. Now, I will not take a dear past 60 yards. Fifty is actually pushing it but I carry a pair of Leica Geovid laser range finding binoculars. Whether I'm on the ground or in a tree stand, I'm constantly double checking my range.

That being said, it's easy to get fooled on how far away something is when you’re in the woods. The size of the trees varies so much as well as whether or not you are looking at a potential target across a ravine or on level ground. If you are not estimating your range correctly this could mean unsatisfactory results in your shooting.

I had a little time to kill the other day and took the Exomag on our club's 3-D course. The furthest target was at 50 yards. A lot of people don't realize it but there is a large amount of drop to that arrow!

My Exocet was modified with an AR-15 rear target sight and longer front bracket made to accept a Lyman aperture target sight. When I raise the rear sight all the way (its click adjustable) I can shoot it to 90 yards. I can get groups the size of pie plates at that distance. I'm going by memory; so if I want to shoot from a 30 yard zero to 50 yards the rear aperture is raised about 3/16 of an inch. I have the clicks recorded and the elevation marked accordingly. What I'm trying to say is that there is a large amount of adjustment needed when you shoot at a distance of 50 yards.

What kind of scope/sight were you using? What is your crossbow set-up? Have you practiced shooting at longer distances?

I'm not trying to lecture you and don't want to insult your intelligence. You've got to be pretty smart to ask the question in the first place. I just want to help. The Excalibur crossbows are phenomenal long range weapons but the limitations in trajectory need to be recognized.
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

No one should be taking that long a shot on a deer with archery equipment...no matter what type of bow you have in your hands.

Geez...I passed on 45 yards the other night.

It's not worth wounding an animal. Keep the long shots for target practice fun. Show the animal more respect when in a hunting situation.
huntman

Post by huntman »

Too many variables at that distance. I use to to have the belief that my bow was fast enough and accurate enough at those distances. That may very well be the case but there is too much that go wrong.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

When you have a nice buck @ 50 yards, temptation is hard to resist. The excalibur is often accurate to that range, but is better suited to target shooting. I know of a guy who harvested a deer at that range, but luck was smiling on him that day. He spined her.
Was it a clean miss? Perhaps he will be back, Hope it goes better for you next time.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I can nail a 3D target at 60 yds, but I wouldn't shoot a live deer at more than 30 - any further and they just have too much time to move before the arrow gets there.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

ok the Buck jumped string, 52 yds is a very long shot. specially if you not shooting the equinox or emax. even with them things have to be just right. i don't shoot or take shots on deer past 40 yds. being honest i have made 2 long shots and took both deer, range was 32 yds fer each one
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
saxman

Post by saxman »

Howdy Big Buck,Welcome
I agree
Crossbows are noisy,not much to really do about it,it's the nature of the beast.
It can be tamed somewhat but as in ALL archery there are trade off's.
I use a system that is more for dry fire protection of my bow than noise supression.

I don't know the exact situation of your hunt sir but I think you will find the consensus here is that 52 yards is maxing out the limits of stick and string for any type for hunting.Target pratice at long ranges is great.

I killed a doe last season at 47 yards at a relaxed deer looking away from me,it felt good and in the end all turned out well but it was not pretty and could have gone very wrong.I wont be making that shot again.

I guess we all have to make that decision ourselves.

The STS systems are great,they do help vibration dampening and keep the string from slaping the riser.I like my NGSS
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Well said sax!! I dont think we should be too harsh. We all know people who have attepted to take a long shot and been successfull or ended up missing or wounding. Everyone has a different comfort zone, but at 50yards your really rolling the dice, and odds are against the hunter. Our target deserves a quick kill, even though it always doesnt happen that way, despite our best attempts.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-