nosy bow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

saxman

Post by saxman »

Howdy Big Buck,Welcome
I agree
Crossbows are noisy,not much to really do about it,it's the nature of the beast.
It can be tamed somewhat but as in ALL archery there are trade off's.
I use a system that is more for dry fire protection of my bow than noise supression.

I don't know the exact situation of your hunt sir but I think you will find the consensus here is that 52 yards is maxing out the limits of stick and string for any type for hunting.Target pratice at long ranges is great.

I killed a doe last season at 47 yards at a relaxed deer looking away from me,it felt good and in the end all turned out well but it was not pretty and could have gone very wrong.I wont be making that shot again.

I guess we all have to make that decision ourselves.

The STS systems are great,they do help vibration dampening and keep the string from slaping the riser.I like my NGSS
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Well said sax!! I dont think we should be too harsh. We all know people who have attepted to take a long shot and been successfull or ended up missing or wounding. Everyone has a different comfort zone, but at 50yards your really rolling the dice, and odds are against the hunter. Our target deserves a quick kill, even though it always doesnt happen that way, despite our best attempts.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

There are more deer wounded at the 10 to 30 yard range because of more shots taken, with that being said there are those that don't have a problem shooting deer at 50+ yds if the conditions are right

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
big buck

nioisy bow

Post by big buck »

All you guys are right. I really appreciate the feed back on 50 yd shot. I am old enough to appreciate the beauty in the animials we hunt and is the last person to want to wound one and lose it. I'll continue to keep my shots under 30. The STS for insurance in case of a dry fire is a good idea.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Welcome to the forum Big Buck.

On the noise problem: to me, either a crossbow or compound is extremely noisy. I grew up with recurve bows and long bows. compare the sounds of those bows with any compound and you will find that the compound bow is extremely noisy.

We used to be extremely fanatic about just the simple slight draw of the arrow over the rest along with the twang of the string. To man, we could make them so quiet nobody could hear them at 10 yards. To a deer, we could not make them quiet enough even at 30 yards! So it has been my estimation that when people try to quiet a crossbow, it is only for man's ears and not to help on deer. You just can't beat their ears. So just live with the noise and keep the shots reasonable.

Good luck.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

"nosy bow"

Tell it to mind it's own business.. ;)

52 yards IS getting out there.

I do have an opinion on the longer shots and noises.

I don't think a noise bothers a deer near as much at a long distance as it does close up and in it's danger zone.

I've killed relaxed deer (after I stopped him with a BAHH) at 42 yards. He never moved until the arrow was through him. Doen teh same at 7 yards...

Once I was watching deer feeding below me and had a gun deer hunter open up with a 5 shot volley just over the ridge from me. It scared the peejabbers out of me and the deer never even lifted their heads from chowing down on acorns...

Noise is over rated...as a deer scarer..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Roguepilot

youtube vid Ted Nugent

Post by Roguepilot »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VtGRcA3mGs
well being a noob to Xbow hunting as I just ordered a new Excal Equinox, this is my first Xbow. I hope this video will help u with some of the noise u spoke of. Even as a cherry boy with Xbow I have had a bow in my hands since I was 5 years old thxs to my father.. I have hunted for 50 years back when u could go out for 2 weeks during bow season and never see another hunter in Michigan. I dont know what these silencers will do for the Xbow speed wise on the drop off, if anything, but love or hate Ted he has some good gas sometimes and has been hunting a long time. GL
btw. totally agree I dont care if Xbow or compound recurve whatever anything over 30yd shot is a big gamble on wounding a deer. Unless its a once in a lifetime shot and the only one ur gonna get at Bullwinkle take a picture instead.
Last edited by Roguepilot on Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Razor Head

Post by Razor Head »

Rouguepilot;

That was a nice video.

However, I disagree with his use of the string separator. It's too easy to cut a strand with those.

If you are going to put whiskers or leeches on a string it's best to invest in a stringing aid and relax the string so you can then separate it.
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

With this noise thing it depends on how and with way the wind is blowing, I've watched people shoot a shoot gun at 60 70 yards and hardly hear it due to the way the wind was blowing, just what I've seen

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
michiganman

hunting

Post by michiganman »

there was a guy on here that took a nice buck at 50 yards this week.i had a doe at 22 yards beat me this week.
it was interesting to watch a video on ten point cross bows show crossbow at 325,and bow at 292 fps.using 20 yard pin only they shoot side by side,and after 30 yards the cross bow dropped lower each shot than the bow.bow was shooting 305 grains at 292 fps.the crossbow was 425 grain at 325.

as far as compound bow,my cousin has shot two elk in the 62-65 yard range at 75lbs.and chuck nease who use to own css archery has shot elk in the 60 yard range.these two guys are great archers,and the elk dont seem to bolt like a high strung whitetail.this is my first year with my exocet,hard getting use to,and noisy.also to wide for some of my stands.a new beggining
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado