still shoots

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter 740

still shoots

Post by hunter 740 »

Went out for the first hunt tonight and the unthinkable happened.I used a rope to pull my xbow up to my stand wraped the rope around the stock twice and used a half hitch to secure it.I got it maybe five feet in the air and the rope came loose,the bow dropped to the ground landing on the hood of the quiver.It broke my quiver and four gold tip carbon arrows, at that point i had no clue what else broke.After my hunt I went home and shot it and it was still dead on minus the arrows and quiver.My bad luck could have been worse but the bow seems fine.Dont use a half hitch use a square knot just to be safe.
diesel

Post by diesel »

We put a loop in the eend of the rope then just stick the rope through the loop, put the stock through the pool you just made and pull the rope tight. No knots to undo quick fast.
hunter 740

Post by hunter 740 »

Normally I do to but this was heavy rope and I had a idiot attack.It wont happen that way again.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I use the carbiners(sp) that you find at the check out counter in most stores. 2 bucks, clips on the stirrup. easy on and easy off.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
DanO

Post by DanO »

Is that not noisey, One Shot? Metal on metal? Or do you tape them first?

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Tape would really help if your worried about the noise. I have not done that but its a good idea. :D Automotive shrink wrap would work too. I find that the noise is minimal if your careful. A little noise is ALOT better than a broken 600.00 crossbow.

I have had my bow drop once too :oops:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Normous

Post by Normous »

The wife did the same 2 years back. Tied a poor knot in the dark. It accidently dropped from 18 feet when the knot let go just out of reach while pulling it up. The stirrup impacted a sharp rock and bent the crap out of it. It still shot perfect though. I had a new one at my door two days later.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
bobby2bears

Post by bobby2bears »

I found some plastic coated carbiners that work really well. I wasn't sure how much they would lift so I brought them home and was able to lift 2 50lb barbell weights. Good enough for me and easy hookup in the dark!
Sopchoppy

rope

Post by Sopchoppy »

You can get a 25 or 30 foot rope, actually a cord, that is made for hauling stuff up to your stand. Last time I was in Walmart, they had 'em for about $5. They have a clip on each end for attaching to whatever. I have one attached on each side of my climber; one for my bow and one for my pack. I just attach the clip through the stirrup on the bow and haul 'er up. Never had a problem.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
saxman

Post by saxman »

bobby2bears wrote:I found some plastic coated carbiners that work really well. I wasn't sure how much they would lift so I brought them home and was able to lift 2 50lb barbell weights. Good enough for me and easy hookup in the dark!
X2
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
ch312

Post by ch312 »

that really sucks...

use a double hitch through the stirrup (or around barrel of gun cinched tight) and a half hitch around where you grip with trigger hand. the heavier the weight is the tighter the half hitch pinches. also keeps the bow or gun pointing towards the ground and will never come off.

we use this for lifting and lowering our swing stage gear from roof tops that are usually over 10 floors. we even use this on totally smooth aluminum beams so it will never slip off...
Missouri_Hunter

Post by Missouri_Hunter »

Glad the crossbow survived....I have a 4 inch loop of 550 parachute cord tied to my stirrup...I clip my carabiner to the loop and it is very quiet...
John Rogers
Florissant, MO
US ARMY (Retired)
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/johnrogers59/HPIM0800.jpg[/img]

2006 Exocet 200, Max Zone Scope,
Groundpounder Mount, Steady Eddy
Gold Point Lazer II's, 100 gr. G5 Montecs
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

I also use caribaners, but I put heat shrink tubing on.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

While hunting this weekend, I paid a little more attention to the amount of noise my caribiner made while attatching it to the stirrup. What I did was tie a loop in the string a little further up on the rope, and attatch the caribiner to it to solve the problem