Safety harness and a Knife...they go together...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hoss

Safety harness and a Knife...they go together...

Post by Hoss »

I know alot of you guys where a harness. some only wear a single strap. At least you are wearing something that will keep you from hitting the ground BUT----> It can kill you. A few years ago someone posted about a father had went back to his sons tree because he did not show up after dark. There his son hung a single safety strap drawn tight under his arms. It suffocate dhim. After the fall he was unable to gather himself up and his own wieght combined with the single strap kept him from breathing and he timed out...SO and you guys should always have a knife handy withing your reach..CARRY A KNIFE....keep it close...you may need to cut free or at least have it if you need it....
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Good advice hoss! Years ago they sold those knives for seat belts if you were in an accident. They look like one of those knives for opening milk bags. Im sure there is somewhere to buy them. Buy one of those, and attatch it with a string to your harness, because in the heat of the moment, you WILL drop your knife. If your even lucky enough to get it open
xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

Team Dryfire
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

The HSS system comes with a rope you hook into the back of the vest and put one leg into it so you can stand and release pressure. Granted, I'd still rather cut the harness once I'm ahold of the tree. Its not simple to get to that back peice on the vest
vaguru

Post by vaguru »

Hmmmm, I have an old Loggy climber (used about 3 times), acquired a Loc-on LEM (I think), and have use of 2 ladder stands. I only have an old single strap harness and was thinking of buying a vest harness.

Now, after reading all the threads on blood pooling, suffocation and the possiblity of having to cut myself out of a harness, I'm SCARED STIFF!

Think I'll just stay on the ground. Been doing it this way since '98 (with exception of 3 times in the climber) and have shot somewheres around 30 deer. Didn't even have a ground blind till last season.

Don't know if I like that ground blind either! Seem to get "made" 40-50 yds out lots of times. Have had them walk by under 10 yds numerous times in the SAME place without it. Just sitting in my little folding chair with advantage camo or the new leafy suit I bought last year.

I have even shot a buck that "made" me at 18 yds, let me pick up my bow, draw, aim and release the fatal arrow. I like the extra view afforded by the elevation, just don't like swaying in the tree. Am I paranoid?
Gold Tip Pro Staff
Bohning Pro Staff
TrapperBob

Post by TrapperBob »

My gorilla stand came with a milk bag cutter on a string secured on the left shoulder of the fall arrest. I hope to never have to use it but know it is there if and when the need arises.

Bob
Phoenix
Excalibur Flemish string
Easton 2216 Bolt
150 Boltcutter BH

Kids who trap and hunt don't mug little old ladies
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I find this kinda funny cause in the fall arrest coarse I have to take for work they say that if you are hanging from a harness, you have four minutes to get the person down. If you are deer hunting no one is with you and if you can't get to your pegs one could be in trouble. Knife is a good option
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

:) Carrying a loud whistle is not a bad idea either. Some folks carry a short rope with a loop on each end, large enough to get around your tree, (assuming you can turn toward your tree). The other loop to use as a stirrup.
Gimpaw

Post by Gimpaw »

Good post.
Carrying a knife is just a good idea anyway. For me, a sharp knife is just part of my daily life. I haven't been a day without one in over 35 years.
I think that it's a shame that we now live in a world where kids can't even carry a pocket knife to school anymore.
"I was young and foolish; now I'm old and foolisher".
Mark Twain
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

curmudgeon wrote::) Carrying a loud whistle is not a bad idea either.
A Fox40 whistle should be mandatory for anyone in the woods.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
spitfire125

Post by spitfire125 »

AMEN!!!!
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

Thanks for the advice. I'll pick up a Fox Whistle and a Seat Belt Cutter for each of my family members that bow hunt.