Do you prefer hunting alone or with company?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big John

b

Post by Big John »

I like having at least a couple people with me. First off though, they are in different stands spread across the property. We dont meet up until last light period! If you dont need a flashlight to meet up its not time to get down. This way all problems from shooting one at last light are even taken care of. Then you always have someone to help you out for any reason, including hauling animals.

PS: Bugs if your asking if I would come out to hunt there with you, sure I would! :) Just as long as Your husband drags the Deer back for us! :wink:
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Definitely alone.

The list of people I'd hunt with is very short.

Even when hunting with another I like to be on my own in my own area, and just meet up to debrief on the walk out.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
maple

Post by maple »

saxman wrote:I like it both ways
:shock: :D :D

What ever makes you feel like a man Scott. I never woulda thunk it.
:wink:
Maple
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

This is my 5th or sixth year hunting.
Up until mid last nov. I hunted alone and up that point I thought it would good to have a hunting buddy. This year the few times I went out I was glad to be alone.
If I get time for small game a partner would be good but I enjoy the peice in archery.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

I agree with VixChix, the list is short. But I do enjoy help with the drag and a cold one while BSing about he day!
TPM

Post by TPM »

For deer with the bow I like to hunt alone, especially in the mornings. Vix and I occasionally get to hunt together in the afternoons but when I say "together" I mean we get to drive out to the farm together and meet up again after dark. We're usually several hundred yards apart while hunting. I did hunt with a large group for rifle deer season for a number of years and I enjoyed that in a totally different way. There were typically 15+ guys in the group and we used dogs on drives. It was a 2000 acre camp so despite having a lot of hunters we were spaced quite far apart so you really did have a feeling of solitude. And I tell ya, there's nothing like have that solitude broken by the sound of baying hounds! :D I really enjoyed the camaraderie of a large camp but one week a year was enough. :wink:
If I'm goose or duck hunting I definitely like to have others along. There's a social aspect of waterfowl hunting that I very much enjoy. Same goes for upland bird hunting, especially field hunting for pheasant. A good hunting partner or two and a good dog makes my day. :D
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
TNXBow

Post by TNXBow »

I hunt alone and have a 15 minute drive from my home. A few times a season, I will join some friends on hunts a couple of hours from home for several days. I always enjoy these times. I think a combination allows you to appreciate the differences.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

TPM wrote:Vix and I occasionally get to hunt together in the afternoons but when I say "together" I mean we get to drive out to the farm together and meet up again after dark.
That's what I think of as "hunting with someone" ... driving to the same general area together, then taking off for separate stands ... and linking up later for the drive home.

I have only hunted with someone in close proximity to me a couple of times, while filming hunts.
Grizz
Arkbow

Alone

Post by Arkbow »

Hunting...........alone

Hunting camp.....friends and family..... :)
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Here's the reason why I prefer to hunt alone, or only hunt with a close family member:

When I invite a 'friend' along, that 'friend' always seems to be under the impression that I have the magical ability to walk them in, stick them in a stand, say 'good luck' and ten minutes after I leave, by some form of my own magic, a world record buck is going to walk out, turn broadside and stand there while they draw, aim and launch an arrow.

I have heard the following lines from 'friends' too many times:

"I thought there were (deer, turkeys, etc.) here?"
"Have you done a lot of scouting in the area?"
"I really thought we'd come home with something (today/tonight)."

It always seems that every time I have invited a 'friend' out, they 'expect' something to happen. It's different when I'm alone, or when I'm hunting with immediate family or my wife, because then we can at least jump back in the truck and say 'that's hunting'.

Lately, I seem to get the feeling that when a 'friend' goes home empty handed, it's like I dragged them away from their favourite television show for nothing.

And some of them wonder why I don't invite them along anymore... :roll:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

early on and during the rut, im solo.. Ive got one thing on my mind. Antlers.

now later on(after Nov 14th) we are allowed to hunt with dogs here which is a nice mix up from early on. I love hearing the chase and hunting with friends.

I still mainly hunt alone... probably more because Im the only one allowed on most of the land
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I do enjoy meeting a friend in the wee hours in the morning for a coffee before heading out, and meeting up afterwards to discuss what we might have seen or not seen. I have not had that for a while and its part of hunting that I really miss the most.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

when it comes to deer i like to be alone so i have nobody but myself to blame if something goes wrong. but, with any other type of hunting i figure the more the merrier :D
kevin

Post by kevin »

I like solo. I do go with a friend who has heart trouble when he wants to go.

Once ya ge up there in years It's probably smarter to hunt with a buddy.
my member name used to be kev until I changed my e-mail. member oct. 18, 2003
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

At age 70, I'm just afraid there could be an accident like a fall or health problem so I would like to have someone I can call, just in case either of us need help.
Also it makes it much easier to drag out a deer if you are successful.
My wife does not hunt so she also would prefer I have some one go with me. :D I still go by myself but I do not climb trees then but have decided to just hunt from the ground and maybe use a ground blind. So I may not be successful but I do love just being out there. :D There is no cell signal where I hunt until I climb a pretty steep ridge plus a friend and I can move deer toward each other sometimes.