Compounds vs crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fuel80guy

Compounds vs crossbows

Post by fuel80guy »

Id like this thread to be open to opinions on both compounds and crossbows.
I shoot both a bear truth2 and an exocet however i must admit that i enjoy shooting/hunting more with my compound than my crossbow.
My personal opinion is that it has become to easy with my crossbow to arrow deer and much more of a challenge with my compound.
That being said i do use my crossbow once it gets to cold to draw my compound because of a weak shoulder.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :D
DirtyGun

Re: Compounds vs crossbows

Post by DirtyGun »

fuel80guy wrote:Id like this thread to be open to opinions on both compounds and crossbows.
I shoot both a bear truth2 and an exocet however i must admit that i enjoy shooting/hunting more with my compound than my crossbow.
My personal opinion is that it has become to easy with my crossbow to arrow deer and much more of a challenge with my compound.
That being said i do use my crossbow once it gets to cold to draw my compound because of a weak shoulder.
Take a bow with a set of cams on it to allow some relief to the shooter and then add a set of sights, a mechanical arrow rest and a trigger release and you have something that's just about as 'easy' to shoot. It's still a great challenge to judge the distance to the target and hold a steady rest with the crossbow under pressure. Both disciplines require practice. You can't just take a crossbow out in a hunting situation without putting practice time in first either.

I shoot in three disciplines: Traditional (longbow and recurve), compound and crossbow. They're ALL archery and all are a challenge. No matter how many bullseyes you hit while at the range, that all goes out the window in a hunting situation.

I like shooting all three...and some days, I have to draw out of a hat which one is coming along for the ride.

I would't leave the house with any of them without putting in time at the range with them though.
Missouri_Hunter

Post by Missouri_Hunter »

well said DirtyGun....and I also like shooting muzzleloaders, shotguns, pistols and long guns....some days the choices drive you crazy... :D
John Rogers
Florissant, MO
US ARMY (Retired)
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/johnrogers59/HPIM0800.jpg[/img]

2006 Exocet 200, Max Zone Scope,
Groundpounder Mount, Steady Eddy
Gold Point Lazer II's, 100 gr. G5 Montecs
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I love them all!!
I shoot pretty much anything I can get my hands on, I love the speed and flat projectile of the compound, but I also like the ease of shooting a crossbow..
I Like to carry (weight) a recurve, but prefer the ease of a compound.
Like I have said many times before, it isn't what is in your hands that makes you a bow hunter, it is your ability to get "arrow close".
Anything that can launch an arrow is OK in my books. :D

This year I blew out my shoulder in a wipeout involving a camping trip and rye, if I didn't have my crossbow I would be missing the season. All have pros and cons, but I love my Exocet!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

After many years of bowhunting with recurves, compounds and now crossbows here is my opinion on hunting with each.

There are numerous pros and cons for any type of archery equipment.

Accuracy

Shooting off hand the compound wins hands down. That is proven out at any archery event where the compounds and crossbows shoot the same targets. If the crossbower can use a rest (not always possible in a deer hunting situation) then the tables are reversed.

Although a hunting tool’s good accuracy is a positive and not a negative desire.

Trajectory

In most bow hunting conditions (less than 25 yards) there is no difference as both the compound bow and crossbow will generate approximately the same feet per second and kinetic energy. Downrange the compound will win hands down as the shorter arrow of a crossbow does not stabilize as well and will lose feet per second in speed and KE faster than a compound bow shot (longer) arrow as it attempts to correct itself in flight.

Weight

Most crossbows weigh in at right around 6 pounds. That is close to the weight of a lot of rifles and shotguns. The compound bows weigh in much less at 3 to 3 ½ pounds. Not a big deal unless one is also packing in a stand, ladder or other equipment. Or hot footing it up and down mountains chasing elk/mule deer out West.

Clearances

Because of the horizontal limbs a crossbow is much harder to pack into the woods on the way to the stand or still hunting. When hunting from a treestand the horizontal limbs have a major conflict with the vertical tree we are in. It is extremely difficult to shoot behind the treestand as the limbs and string will not allow the crossbow to be up against the tree like a compound bow would.

Drawing/Shooting in the Presence of Game

The crossbow has a slight advantage in this area. The string is back in a firing position before game is approaching. How much of an advantage is debatable as several things come into play.

1) Being 20 to 25 foot up a tree when attempting to draw a compound bow will lessen a deer’s ability to see you.

2) Bows are usually 75 to 90 percent let off so one can draw on a deer much sooner and hold longer to make a killing shot with less worry about the deer seeing you. Mike Beatty drew and held on the new world record non-typical buck for a full 3 minute before making the shot. That bow was a 85% let off. There is a bow on the market that is 99% let off where one can draw the bow as soon as game is spotted and they can wait for however long it takes for that animal to approach the shooting area.

3) A number of hunters that use ground blinds are using a blind called Double Bull, “Doghouse”, etc that allows one to draw and shoot through a curtain and never be seen by the animal.

4) Most bowhunters learn when and when not to draw on a deer. IE – when it’s head is behind a bush or tree or allowing the deer to walk past them and shoot them quartering away.

Both pieces of equipment have to be raised into a shooting position. Only the compound has to be drawn. That draw should be straight back and covered somewhat by the bow and bow quiver (if one is on the bow). That is unless the person drawing the bow seriously over-bowed and has to horse it back with great exaggerated movements..

Regardless of the perceived advantage of “not having to draw back a crossbow” the kill percentages are identical for compounds and crossbows. THAT is where the rubber meets the road.

Ease of Mastery

The crossbow would have an edge here. More so if the individual had some previous rifle shooting experience. Irregardless, a “newbie” just starting out with either piece of equipment can be shooting hunting accuracy (all arrows in a 6 inch circle) within two hours *IF* properly instructed. Maintaining proficiency would also go to the crossbow.

Ease of mastery is irrelevant to the hunting aspect. Being a master of your equipment has nothing to do with how good a hunter you are. It only has to do with what kind of shot you are with the equipment at hand should that shot present itself.

There is very little difference in mastering a crossbow and a compound. There is a MAJOR difference in mastering a stickbow as opposed to either a crossbow or a compound. If the difficulty mastering the hunting tool is used a yardstick for archery hunting then the season would have to be limited to traditional only.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Woody Williams wrote:After many years of bowhunting with recurves, compounds and now crossbows here is my opinion on hunting with each.

There are numerous pros and cons for any type of archery equipment.

Accuracy

Shooting off hand the compound wins hands down. That is proven out at any archery event where the compounds and crossbows shoot the same targets. If the crossbower can use a rest (not always possible in a deer hunting situation) then the tables are reversed.

Although a hunting tool’s good accuracy is a positive and not a negative desire.

Trajectory

In most bow hunting conditions (less than 25 yards) there is no difference as both the compound bow and crossbow will generate approximately the same feet per second and kinetic energy. Downrange the compound will win hands down as the shorter arrow of a crossbow does not stabilize as well and will lose feet per second in speed and KE faster than a compound bow shot (longer) arrow as it attempts to correct itself in flight.

Weight

Most crossbows weigh in at right around 6 pounds. That is close to the weight of a lot of rifles and shotguns. The compound bows weigh in much less at 3 to 3 ½ pounds. Not a big deal unless one is also packing in a stand, ladder or other equipment. Or hot footing it up and down mountains chasing elk/mule deer out West.

Clearances

Because of the horizontal limbs a crossbow is much harder to pack into the woods on the way to the stand or still hunting. When hunting from a treestand the horizontal limbs have a major conflict with the vertical tree we are in. It is extremely difficult to shoot behind the treestand as the limbs and string will not allow the crossbow to be up against the tree like a compound bow would.

Drawing/Shooting in the Presence of Game

The crossbow has a slight advantage in this area. The string is back in a firing position before game is approaching. How much of an advantage is debatable as several things come into play.

1) Being 20 to 25 foot up a tree when attempting to draw a compound bow will lessen a deer’s ability to see you.

2) Bows are usually 75 to 90 percent let off so one can draw on a deer much sooner and hold longer to make a killing shot with less worry about the deer seeing you. Mike Beatty drew and held on the new world record non-typical buck for a full 3 minute before making the shot. That bow was a 85% let off. There is a bow on the market that is 99% let off where one can draw the bow as soon as game is spotted and they can wait for however long it takes for that animal to approach the shooting area.

3) A number of hunters that use ground blinds are using a blind called Double Bull, “Doghouse”, etc that allows one to draw and shoot through a curtain and never be seen by the animal.

4) Most bowhunters learn when and when not to draw on a deer. IE – when it’s head is behind a bush or tree or allowing the deer to walk past them and shoot them quartering away.

Both pieces of equipment have to be raised into a shooting position. Only the compound has to be drawn. That draw should be straight back and covered somewhat by the bow and bow quiver (if one is on the bow). That is unless the person drawing the bow seriously over-bowed and has to horse it back with great exaggerated movements..

Regardless of the perceived advantage of “not having to draw back a crossbow” the kill percentages are identical for compounds and crossbows. THAT is where the rubber meets the road.

Ease of Mastery

The crossbow would have an edge here. More so if the individual had some previous rifle shooting experience. Irregardless, a “newbie” just starting out with either piece of equipment can be shooting hunting accuracy (all arrows in a 6 inch circle) within two hours *IF* properly instructed. Maintaining proficiency would also go to the crossbow.

Ease of mastery is irrelevant to the hunting aspect. Being a master of your equipment has nothing to do with how good a hunter you are. It only has to do with what kind of shot you are with the equipment at hand should that shot present itself.

There is very little difference in mastering a crossbow and a compound. There is a MAJOR difference in mastering a stickbow as opposed to either a crossbow or a compound. If the difficulty mastering the hunting tool is used a yardstick for archery hunting then the season would have to be limited to traditional only.
Very well stated Woody.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
saxman

Post by saxman »

I like it all also.
No discrimination here.
If they open a season where I have to chunk rocks at um,sign me up.

I sold my vert bow last season.
I had an Oneida Extreme Eagle.
I loved it for the smooth draw but with my shoulders I cant pratice for long,I get worse and worse.
I'd probably be ok for one shot so I may try again in the off season.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Maybe because I'm new to CBs but I find it more of a challenge than with either of the 2 Compounds I've owned. In verticle bows I find my longbow the most challenging. I've made but have not hunted with a primitive bow. For firearms I'll go out with my Ruger Super Blackhawk or my T/C .50 cal sidelock percussion rifle - don't own a high power longgun.

Take care...
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

After a three year hiatus due to a shoulder injury I picked up a Diamond 'The Rock' in August and started to practice. Opening day I was up a tree with my Exomax...and that was just doe season. I just felt more confident in my ability to make a good shot with my crossbow on that day. We all owe it to our prey to be proficient and confident.

Since then I have taken three deer with my Exomax and have managed to harpoon two nice doe with my compound. I'm more proud of the two doe taken with my compound only because of the struggle I've had to overcome to be able to shoot it confidently.

Depending on the situation, I'm certain that eventually when an opportunity presents itself I will find myself wishing I had the other one in my hands. I'm deadly to 30 yards with both of them. The crossbow is quieter before pulling the trigger, the compound is quieter after pulling the trigger.

Pick your poison. I like them both.

DuckHunt
DanO

Post by DanO »

Great summary, Woody! Excellent food for thought.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Well said Woody! Sign me up right behind you Scott in the rock throwing season :lol: :lol:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
blackjack

Re: Compounds vs crossbows

Post by blackjack »

fuel80guy wrote:Id like this thread to be open to opinions on both compounds and crossbows.
each to there own but l like them all...regards frank Australia
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
Ibex

Post by Ibex »

For backyard shooting I enjoy my PSE compound at around 200 fps using a back tension release (which for me will not work for hunting).

For hunting I use my Ibex. I would not be bow hunting if I didn't have a crossbow.

Fran
Ibex, 3X-32 Vortex crossbow scope, GT Laser II, 125 gr. Marden Mini Mag Steel broadheads, 4 deer so far
fuel80guy

Post by fuel80guy »

Ive really enjoyed reading all the posts and love the friendly replies as oppossed to other archery forums where the crossbow is bashed.
One thing that jumped out at me was that i can always depend on my ability to arrow a deer with my exocet,,,gauranteed.
When i started bowhunting i used a compound and met Bill T at a town hall meeting and he told me that if i wanted game on the table then id better use an excalibur,,,truer words have never been spoken before.
I just know that those words are going to haunt me one day when ive got my compound in hand and the mega buck ive been chasing all these years shows up only to offer me an ethical shot for my exocet,,,and ive got my compound in hand. :oops: