TruGlo a NoGo

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

saxman

TruGlo a NoGo

Post by saxman »

I tried the red dot (made for turkey hunting) last night in my ladder stand and it is NOT going to work.
The sight pictire is to small and it has very poor light gathering so I will put the lumi-zone back on today.

Maybe a dedicated red do for crossbows would work better.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

sorry to hear that. the Hammers 1x46mm i have does ok but its lens is abit darker than i like. they also make a 2x in same. i have mine on miss vixen. its not real good in early morning light nor afternoon at dusk.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Old Exocet

Post by Old Exocet »

X2
I like the ease of aim, but NO light gathering at all.
saxman

Post by saxman »

The one I have has a very large front objective but the view in the scope is very small
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
michiganman

scope

Post by michiganman »

i ordered a parker tornado,and is coming with tru glo 3 dot scope.wonder if its the same scope??
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
w8cop

No Red Dot for me

Post by w8cop »

I had a Leupold red dot on my phoenix until it fogged several weeks ago.Since then I put a BSA with luminated reticle on it.I noticed that my groups tighten up alot.I will never use the red dot again.....Anybody want to buy a fogged up Leupold red dot ????
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

pic's of mine, i wouldn't buy another because of low light seeing with it!

it has the Tach Dot red & gn. about 1 1/4" inside lens viewing dia.
Last edited by vixenmaster on Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

:? :? Scott are you Field testing that model or just Bored :P :lol: Why would you change from the Lumi-zone scope???
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
blackjack

Re: TruGlo a NoGo

Post by blackjack »

saxman wrote:I tried the red dot (made for turkey hunting) last night in my ladder stand and it is NOT going to work.
The sight pictire is to small and it has very poor light gathering so I will put the lumi-zone back on today.

Maybe a dedicated red do for crossbows would work better.
l think theres a message here. :roll: :D
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
skamaniac

Post by skamaniac »

For all you older guys especially the ones with cataracts or even the beginning of cataracts, the illuminated red dots or reticles are just too bright. I switched to a Leupold with the Heavy Reticle and won't go back. I had a young baldy come in late the other night and stayed until it was completely dark so as not give away my position by me moving coming down out of my ladder stand, i don't care if they hear me. I had that little one at my 30 yd marker and could see my reticle without any problem right up to the point where i had a hard time making out the silhouette of the deer.

Saxman, the comment you made about the red dot having a rather small sight picture mystifies me. I have used quite a few red dots for different applications and i have never run across one with a small sight picture. I was wondering if you were sighting with one eye closed or both eyes open. These sights are made to be used with both eyes open and mounted farther forward similar to a scout scope. I had one on a vertical bow for years.
'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not.'
saxman

Post by saxman »

dick195252 wrote::? :? Scott are you Field testing that model or just Bored :P :lol: Why would you change from the Lumi-zone scope???
My bow is becoming so heavy that I wanted to cut some weight and I am tinkering.
I have a 35 yard range in the backyard so I can sight in easy.
The Lumi-Zone is back on now.

The 4x Barska I was using is now on one of my muzzleloaders now,the red dot is back on my turkey gun.
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've tried a few dot type scopes over the years and never found one I was completely happy with. The 3 dot crossbow model I tried (TruGlo??? - the old CRS is kicking in) had too big of dots and wasn't even close to 10 yard increments. A lot of them had parallax. Probably the best was a Hammers 2X model, but in low light it was a handicap.
I've thought of a good quality ($300. +/-) HoloSight, but just hate to invest that much $$$$ on something I may not like.
wabi
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

Hi guys : some of you wondering about the use of a high dollar red dot I got a zeiss z point; it is a wonderful peice of engineering and precise, etc. as expected. My observations on my z point were : the dot is really small, so much so I thought it would be a problem but was not after getting used to it...it has to be practiced with to become comfortable seeing it, but fine aiming was no problem at all; the problem with one single aiming point, was this : I tried to set the sight dead on at approx. fifteen yards as I was to hunt hogs with the closest shot within the light 15 nd the farthest 24 yards; I went with a really heavy arrow : four inch vanes, 125gr magnus two blade fixed heads, 110 grain brass insert, laser IIs, and about 150gr. (crs) of all threaded rod screwed and glued in the rear of the insert; brace height was highest within warranty, two pair of cat whiskers, sts, and a boo string. quiet as possible slow as necessary.
light gathering was like the naked eye as far as i could tell. but no better.
ONE negative : for my slow set up and the initial sighting in distance, I tried to just see what would happen if I backed off to 38 yards and a little farther I was holding off the target and it was just about outside the feild of view of the optic on my old cube target on the 38 yard shots and just off completely at any greater distance. the funny thing was how accurate I could still shoot once i got the hang of it (say 10 shots). I took it off and put a bushnell pro point or pro hunter about 125 bucks to have more aim points etc. it got damaged in transit to the hunt and was never used. marked the scope rail so in a pinch I can remount the z point and be really close on the first sight in shot if not dead on..
I got rid of the bushnell though the tube was big enough, it had a tint to it and did not gather light but lost a little bit at the extremes of twilight. Put a scope on the excal.. wish it was the illuminated cause in bright sun shooting into darkest shadows I have trouble to see the reticles really well..especially in a hurry.
dk
life guard at the gene pool
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

For a single aim point such as a single red dot, wouldn't it be better to sight in at what you think would be your mid range?

Dave
liaf

Post by liaf »

I use a Zeiss Z point on both of my crossbows. Yes, they are expensive 275.00-300.00 used. 100.00 more if bought brand new. I use a 375-380 grain arrow along with a Boo string w/o whiskers for both my bows. I have them sighted in dead on at 30 yards. The vortex is app 3 inches high at 20 yards and about 3.25 inches high at 15 yards( phoenix runs about .25 inches higher at these close distances. The phoenix arrows drop about 0.8-.085 inches for each yard past 30 so at 40 yards it about 8-8.5 inches low. The vortex drops app 0.6-.0.65 inches for each yard past 30 so at 40 yards its about 6- 6.5 inches low. When I shoot I use hold under and hold over. I have never hunted deer with this set-up since x-bows are illegal to use in NYS but have practiced at dusk on targets and feel that my z-point has very good light gathering capablities for this time. BTW I have shot numerous small game (woodchucks- 15-35 yards) and in no way do i feel handicapped in using this red dot. I have a vari-zone that I have used off a bench but for off-hand shooting I just love my Zeiss z-point. You must shoot a lot so you know your arrows trajectory. If you are going to go with a red dot spend some money and get a Zeiss(used) or look at a bushnell holosight which is a bit less money but is a good quality red-dot sight.
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.