Question regarding courtesies

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Undertaker

Question regarding courtesies

Post by Undertaker »

Well....good things do come to good people who act well. Finally got invited to hunt my girlfriend's family farm. Last night at a birthday dinner for her mother, it was uttered- "Come over tomorrow morning and I will show you around the place."

They have feeders, and after the rain we had last night, showing only the fresh tracks, it looked like a bunch of hogs had been camped out for a rendevous.......... with the Bud Man.

Ladder stands, shooting lanes are tight, but he offered the best stand to me.

I have thought about this morning's events. Not sure about all of this. Anytime I get especially excited about something, there is always a flip side. No way anything is expected FROM me. I offered to do chores around the place in free exchange. He took me up on my offer to buy some corn for the feeders.

But he doesn't really kill any trophys himself. He seems to get does mostly. His wife sometimes sits in the ladder stand that is right next to his, the one I'm to sit in. There is only 40 acres, and the vast majority is field. This morning we saw three deer on the edge, and they didn't seem to care that we were there. He calls them cattle.

My questions is simple. Down here in Florida I have two days left on crossbow. Bucks with five inch antlers only. If a bruiser buck walks by, or say a respectable eight pointer,- do I shoot - or do I watch him go by and wait for a small fry ?

I will be in stand at first light, with the opinion that if a trophy steps out, the Vortex sings, but I let the 8 go on, and any little buck gets his right there.

What do you folks think about my etiquette- is that what you would expect from me at your place ?
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

It sounds to me as if they are offering you your choice and if they do not care about taking trophy bucks themselves I doubt they would be put out with you. I'd take the buck....and offer them half of the meat, already processed.

Regardless of the outcome, a nice Thanksgiving gift for their dinner would probably be appreciated.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
dutchhunter

hunting

Post by dutchhunter »

shot the deer you like and share the meat and enjoy your self .i to have had offers and a lot of the time were we are from thy will ask you not to shot does only bucks and if that is there wish so be it DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Why don't you just ask them if they have any preferences about what you kill?

If I let you hunt on my place and don't mention any restriction, then that means you're free to kill what you please!

There shouldn't be any such questions ... make yourself clear, and make sure they've done the same, so there won't be any misunderstandings!

So far as gratefulness goes, a little thank-you is always appreciated, and seldom received ... so make your thankfulness known!

For instance, I recently sent a thank-you package to a friend who let me hunt on his place, even though I've known him since the early eighties.

You can't be too polite, or too nice.
Grizz
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

He made no suggestions regarding what I could not do, just what I could do, and where I should be when I do it.

Ever feel slightly out of place ?

I will shoot the first buck that passes, regardless of rack, and I will show my gratefulness.

Now all I have to do is do it.

I respect the mind set of the board collective, together, it is quite impressive. We do not live in a TV, radio, newspaper, or even a magazine world anymore. The internet killed any need for any of that. You guys provide real time information, selected stories, picture included instructions, guidance and advice, personal problem solving, and even art - and ain't no magazine ever gonna do all that.

I guess that is why I asked- I trust.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
gogo

Post by gogo »

Sounds to me that the big ones are their entertainment. Best ask and make sure they really mean what ever they say you can shoot.