NEED HELP. update with pics.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chris4570

NEED HELP. update with pics.

Post by chris4570 »

I had a nice mature buck, I've nicknamed "Owl", come in tonight.

I'll save the story if there is a happy ending.

He walked into one of my shooting lanes. I baahed him to a stop. 20 yards broadside. Pulled the trigger, heard the thwak, he donkey kicked, took one leap then belly flopped before regaining his footing and taking off full steam, tail down, into the flooded timber. I heard him crashing/splashing then silence. Don't know if he is down.

I waited, then got down. With my flashlights I could not find any blood where he stood or where he belly-flopped. I started to look for him but blood doesn't show up in water, and it is very easy to get disoriented. I backed out. Now I am stressed. It is raining so what little evidence there might have been will surely be gone.

Based on my description of his reaction what do you think..is he down?? To me it sounds like a heart shot. I'm sure he must have been hit, otherwise why would he belly flop?? But no blood spray on the trees?? He went about 100 yards when it became silent. I think/hope he is piled up there.

Anyone interested in helping find him???

Well I guess I have a story to tell now. :D

It begins last year. Around the beginning of December, I found a new rub on a big tree. I sent the pic to Ecoaster, and he asked if I saw the "owl". :? The "owl" is a blemish on the tree that really looks like an owl flying head-on with its talons out facing forward.

I hunted the area last year after discovering the rub but never saw the deer.

Earlier this month while scouting I checked the same area and found a good rub line. A week later I saw that the owl tree was hit again!! :D Along with another large tree nearby. I named the buck "owl".

Yesterday morning I scouted the area and sure enough more new rubs. My stand was in place a couple weeks prior. The wind was perfect. SO I went in.

Based on what others(Unclefester/RJ) have been doing I decided that some tinks 69 buck bomb, grunting and rattling were in order. I needed to lure him out early enough for a shot.

I rattled first at 5:15 and then again around 6:00pm. At about 6:10 I could hear a deer sploshing in the water towards me. He would start and stop. Finally I could see him. Saw antler and got ready. When he got closer I knew it was "owl" . He walked into one of my shooting lanes. I baahed him to a stop. Pulled the trigger. Safety still on. :oops: Took safety off, and pulled the trigger again.

Which leads us to yesterdays post.

With daylight on my side I started the search. I found hair and blood at the impact site. Looked like some gut and lung. The forums "New Guy" was on his way to help. I managed to find a blood trail, and followed it. Thirty yards ahead I can see my John custom blazin tiger" arrow in the water. Love them arrows John. The fletching and wraps stand out!!! Certainly helped me track this deer. There wasn't a lot of blood due to the water, but with some patience it could be found. About 100 yards from the stand I can see he is down. :D :D The "owl" is down!!!!!

John blazin tiger in the water.

The walk up.Image

A quick posed pic before tagging.

One for the trophy room. Am I allowed to participate in the photo contest??

Although I am pretty sure he was broadside the arrow path suggests otherwise. Although he may have moved just as I pulled the trigger, the second time. So the arrow did take out the heart, lungs, liver and top of the gut. He probably weighed 250lbs or better.

Thanks New Guy for help dressing and dragging. He was pretty hefty!! I hope your boots dry out. :D I hope my boots dry out. :shock:
Last edited by chris4570 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

To me it sounds like a heart shot also, or just behind the heart. Hopefully you find him tomorrow. Good luck.

Long
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

That sounds like a dead deer to me. That water is going to make it tough. You should go back at daybreak(with a couple other people if you can) and try to look for blood. check in the direction he ran. A lot of times you won't see a blood trail for the first 20 yds or more. I once made a heart shot on a deer and there was hardly any blood trail. They bleed more internally because the heart can't pump. If you can't find any blood try to guess where you think you heard the crash and comb the entire area. Good luck Chris.
wabi

Post by wabi »

From your description of the shot and his reactions I'd say there is a very good chance you'll find him close to where you last heard him.
wabi
diesel

Post by diesel »

Like the rest have said, I'm sure you will find him You need some light and some time. sure sounds like a good hit . look for a trail in the leaves , what did the arrow look and smell like ? Sure wish I was there to help you out and shack your hand when you find him.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

diesel wrote:Like the rest have said, I'm sure you will find him You need some light and some time. sure sounds like a good hit . look for a trail in the leaves , what did the arrow look and smell like ? Sure wish I was there to help you out and shack your hand when you find him.
Didn't find the arrow. Assuming a pass through, the ground is very soft where he was standing. Could be buried in the ground.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"It CAN Be Done!"
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Ben S. wrote:They bleed more internally because the heart can't pump. .
Makes sense!!! Thanks.

"It CAN Be Done!"
Alaspan

Post by Alaspan »

If it weren't 400kms from Ottawa to Burlington and a little guy in tow, I would definitely give a hand Chris. From what you've said, you hit him. Arrow will tell alot if you can find that. Water is not going to make it easy. Do you have a dog?
Good luck. I've hit a nice one and lots of blood / sign, arrow, etc. only to have the blood dry up and search all day woith no recovery. It's a terrible feeling.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Arkbow

Good hit

Post by Arkbow »

Like said, It sounds to me like a good hit; I know it will be a sleepless night for you, but come morning I am sure it will be a happy ending; please keep us informed and please post pictures;

Will say an extra word for you tonight for sure; good luck... :)
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
will dog

Post by will dog »

Deer hair is hollow and they float like a cork in water. Not sure how deep it is but he shouldn't be hard to find. Sounds like a dead deer floatin to me. Good luck and get some sleep.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Sounds like a heart area hit when they kick their hind legs in the air. spect you will find him in the water when its light. i have hunted swamps most of my life. when they go into water & die they will fill up with water thru wound holes. i have had to swim out and dive down fer several of them over the yrs. if its shallow thats good. congrats on a fine Buck & good recovery!
Last edited by vixenmaster on Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hope you find him!

Best of luck! :D
Grizz
XCaddis

Post by XCaddis »

Let us know how it goes. He has to be down. If you cant find him, I might be able to squeeze out to help after work.

It may be the closest I get to a buck this year :-)
XCaddis

Excalibur Exomax
STS
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder

Guns are part of our Cultural Heritage. Please respect our diversity!!
peter p

Post by peter p »

Were you shooting from a tree stand or on the ground?
How high up were you if shooting from a tree stand?
I shot a doe last Sunday at 20 yards and I was about 20 feet high in a home made ladder stand.
The deer did the same donkey kick and ran off but I seen it crash about 50 yards away.
I got down and looked for my arrow but couldn't find it in the ground.
I went to the deer and seen it was a pass through.
When I took the shot I aimed a little closer to the shoulder because it was standing slightly quartering towards me so at that angle it would be a double lung shot which it was but the arrow caught the tip of the shoulder bone.
I went back the next day looking for my arrow in the ground but couldn't find it.
I then thought that she might have carried the arrow so I followed the blood trail and about 40 yards from the shot, the arrow was laying on the ground.

It sounds like it was a good hit and I hope you find it tomorrow.
huntman

Post by huntman »

Hair will also tell the story.... did you find any hair?? Sometimes these deer dont bleed even with a lung shot, i have seen it first hand, I saw one buck not shed a droplet untill after 100 yards. Your buck is down. pm sent