Finally, a mature buck in range

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Finally, a mature buck in range

Post by crazyfarmer »

Yesterday I finally had some action. I got in stand a little early at 3pm on a oak ridge near a bottom. At 3:20 I heard the crisp sounds of leaves crunching and I turn and here comes a nice 3-4 year old 8Pt with a broken G2. He was on a mission to walk a straight line. He came to my right rear side of the tree at 10 yards and it would have been impossible for me to get a shot even if I wanted. I just didnt like the broken G2. If I didnt have a good look at this deer, I probably would have tried a little harder for a shot. I love trail cameras since I had pics of this buck the day before. He did finally stop about 50 yards away and make a scrape before moving on.

After he passed I had a 6pt come the same way. This buck was atleast 19inches wide, but thin antlers. Again, if I didnt have a good look, I may have shot this buck also but he just wasnt mature enough. So my saga continues to get something big enough to make my trigger finger move:)

Ive got some new recon on a very nice buck so im moving locations next week for a crack at him for 2-3 days. He should go well in the 170's and is by far the biggest live deer ive seen in Va

here is the broken G2 buck. I think freaknasty got ahold of him the day before. If he makes it, he will be a dandy next year. I may get weak though and pull the trigger next time though LOL. I can fix the broken G2 ;) But so far things are looking up
wabi

Post by wabi »

Nice buck!
He would be hard to pass, but not having a good shot is a great reason to let him walk.
wabi
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

That would be a real dandy around here. Glad you're seeing some nice ones.

Long
vapredhunter

Post by vapredhunter »

I shot an 8 pointer one year that had all the point broken on one antler. I couldn't tell when I shot.

[img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f69/vapredhunter/Hunting/yoterun.gif[/img]
Mike P

Re: Finally, a mature buck in range

Post by Mike P »

crazyfarmer wrote: Ive got some new recon on a very nice buck so im moving locations next week for a crack at him for 2-3 days. He should go well in the 170's and is by far the biggest live deer ive seen in Va
That is the one to target CF!
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Go Get Him!!! 8)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
lscha

Post by lscha »

Good luck, Crazy!!
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts