Ladder stand maintenance

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DanO

Ladder stand maintenance

Post by DanO »

Just wondering what most people do with their ladderstands at the end of the year.

I've left mine up for two years because they're on private land. I'm thinking about giving the tree a break by removing the cinch straps. I loosen them at the end of the year but I'm worried about liablility should someone decide to climb up. It's probably a good idea to check the bolts and nuts as well??

I wouldn't likely move them very far. They are in good spots already.

Ideas?
Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I would take them down. Even one priv. property items go missing. All It takes is 1 guy on a atv or snowmobile to pass it once and then come back for it. Ladderstands are generally expensive too, so it hurts when they go missing. If your worried about hauling it in and out, you might stash it some where, but i'd still worry about theft. I agree leaving it loose is a bad idea. If a kid were to attempt to climb it, it would be bad news.

Just my opinion.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

Taking them down is a good idea,but;ya got get them back for the next season.

Last year we left them up and dang if some lousy smelly bear didn't find them tasty and chew on the straps.

They used the tree as trainin for cubs or something, claw marks all over it!

Yep they are coming down for sure at the end.

oneshot.........
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

The tie straps will get weakened by UV rays. The tree may rock in the wind and depending on how tightly secured your stand is to the tree, it may flex enough to weaken the stand. I take mine down at the end of the hunt, even though I hunt on private land. I don't want some pot licker to steal my stand, as well as for the other reasons.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I leave mine in place year round.
Before each season I do check all bolts for tightness and replace any that are badly rusted.
I also watch the ratchet straps for any sign of deterioration. If the nylon straps get stiff feeling it's best to replace them. Once a year (minimum) it's a good idea to take the straps loose and lube the ratchet mechanism.
I use a cable type bicycle lock on my stands and position it so that if the strap would break the cable would hold the stand to the tree. It wouldn't be tight, but it wouldn't crash to the ground, either.
wabi
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

Just wondering if anyone knows where to get those clips that lock in the holes of your ladder stands.Sometimes those wire clips pop out of place and fall on the ground and you can never seem to find them.I have a couple missing out of my Gorillia ladder stand and Im wondering where to get some replacements.
If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

perrysbirds wrote:Just wondering if anyone knows where to get those clips that lock in the holes of your ladder stands.Sometimes those wire clips pop out of place and fall on the ground and you can never seem to find them.I have a couple missing out of my Gorillia ladder stand and Im wondering where to get some replacements.
You should be able to use hitch pins that you can get at TSC or Princess Auto.

I've left a couple of stands up since last year and I was starting to wonder about the straps getting a little tight with the tree growing. I think I'll be taking them down after this year to give everything a break.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Im with Wabi, mine are out year round. I check the strap and nuts and bolts, thats about it. Thats a great idea Wabi had about the back up cable! Crispy
DanO

Post by DanO »

Yeah, time to stop being so lazy. I'll take them down and check them for wear and loose bolts. Might want to add a coat of paint as well.

Dan O.
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

I am pulling mine down as well. Same thing to give the straps a break.

As well, to paint. Most are very faded. Gonna tiger stripe em.

Not sure where I am gonna store em all though. lol..
I come by my name honestly.
DanO

Post by DanO »

That's part of the problem, Dumbazz (feel weird calling you that!). My garage only has so much room. Hope my wife doesn't figure out, we are at maximum capacity for hunting stuff.

Dan O.