Arrows recomendation for Vixen II

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Passthru

Arrows recomendation for Vixen II

Post by Passthru »

Hello,

Great forum you have here. I'm a new member here, but I've been searching and reading for a while. I primarily hunt with a traditional recurve, but we can use crossbows in our late archery season here in Indiana, and it looks like fun. After much debate on models, I ordered a Vixen II. I'm anxiously awaiting Foxy's arrival. I also ordered some Gold Tip Laser II shafts with the 110 grain brass inserts.

I understand these are going to be around 400 grains with a 100 grain point. I'd like suggestions for shaft length (18"-20") and also your opinion on maybe using the 30 grain aluminum inserts and a heavier point for a total weight less than 400 grains.

I see a lot of talk about FOC, which would make me lean toward using the carbons with brass inserts, but I also see that some of you use 2216s with 125 grain points.

I'll probably use 100 grain Spitfires, Grim Reapers, or Slick Tricks on the Gold Tips with brass inserts. The nostalgic side of me would enjoy those 2216s, fletched with feathers, and a 125 grain 3-blade Muzzy for close shots. What do you think?

Probably too many questions for one post, but I'm new and excited. :lol:

Thanks,
Chad
xbow kenny

Post by xbow kenny »

My daughter uses 2213 shafts with 2 inch blazers and Grim Reaper 100gr broadheads with her Vixen11. So far she has taken two mature whitetail bucks and a turkey with this setup, passthroughs on all animals.
I own P&R archery and sport. i sell excalibur crossbows and more. i also make custom strings and arrows. Relayer Y25 #559 Kenny custom string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i have the older vixen, i use diff arrows of diff weight when i take the notion. i use 2216 alum. front insert 100 gr field pt & or BH's 400 gr. the GT II's 20" 110 brass front insert 408 gr around 340 gr with alum front insert
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
michiganman

eight

Post by michiganman »

your real close to weight of the gold tips.mine weigh 395 grains with brass inserts and 100 grain tipsgreat shooters
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i made some with the aluminum inserts for my lil girls vixen 2 and I didnt like them. I perfer the 400grain arrows out of it. You lose some fps, but get much better and more stable flight
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

I use GT Lazer 2 with 100 gr Slicks @ 405 GR. 20", Vixen II, had a complete PASSTHRU Wednesday night on a Buck at 28 Yrds. Great Arrow don't mess with it. He went 35yrds and droped.

Migabby
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner