lost buck

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Quickshot

lost buck

Post by Quickshot »

I have'nt posted in a while as my computer and internet did not work well and I cannot post from work, but I am back. :D

Well let me set the stage with a layout of what happened. It is a little long but I need to let it out to people who understand.
I went in on Thursday morning to a tree stand set up in the corner of a corn field were the deer like to cross to there beds. The weather was okay, no rain and a slight breeze. I set up and waited for light. As the dawn came so did the rain, light at first but then heavier as time passed along with strong gusting winds, not the best for being in a tree stand. I sat until I could sit no longer in the pouring rain/snow mix. It was 7:45 AM and I decided it would be a good time for a still hunt. I climbed down and headed up into a scrub cedar area that the deer like to cross in the morning, the wind wouldn’t be so bad there. I moved quickly into the area and then slowed to a snails pace moving 10 yards then stopping for a look and listen. I had moved about 60 yards and was just starting to move again when a movement to my left caught my eye, it was a deer, but not just any deer it was the big buck I had seen Monday night at a distance. I don’t know how many points he had but I knew he was big and the white rack he wore was tall, wide and heavy. I stopped as he moved out of the bush, he then stopped as if to know something was wrong he then started to move faster and away from me, I pulled the shotgun and bleated at him to stop him, the next thing in knew the shotgun went off and the buck went down. I stood watching for a second, he didn’t move I then looked down at the spent shell that seemed to come out of the gun strangely, when I looked back at the deer he was getting up, I pulled the gun up again but he managed to get behind some brush, I let him move forward trying to get a shot, he finally stopped behind a cedar tree where I thought he was going down. I waited with the gun ready looking through the scope in case he came out, and he did, I had a good line on him and pulled the trigger, or should I say tried to pull the trigger, the gun had jammed, all I could do was watch as he went out of sight into the thick brush heading for the cedar swamp, I was devastated :( . An inspection of the sight showed only grey hair with absolutely no blood, fat, tissue or body contents. I started a circle to see if I could cut him off with no luck. I spent the next 2.5 hours doing a grid search with no luck. I went home and called my partner Simon for help, he showed up with his oldest son and the three of us spent the rest of the day doing grid searches though the swamp, brush and tall grass/scrub cedar. We could find nothing, no sign of any kind and no deer.

I cannot figure out what happened, this deer went down and didn’t move and to only find hair with no other sign :?: Anyway I stayed home today for a break, I will go back with the bow on Sunday but needed a break and a place to release.

Thanks for reading.
enjoy the woods
Doug
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

Nice story as of course,not the outcome we all want and I certainly undersatnd how you feel.I had it happen to me also before,but not a big buck!
If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Sorry to hear it. I have done the same thing with some deer in the past. Knock them down, you think they are down, then they are gone. All I can say is they can be a very tough animal at times.
Why ride when you can walk!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

you may have hit him high above the lungs but below the the spine. alot of times they will go down get up & leave quickly. the deer should recover if thats the hit on him.
Last edited by vixenmaster on Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Baycor

Post by Baycor »

I've heard of this before, but never experienced it. Our group used to push deer, one time a guy shot at a nice buck and the buck dropped to it's knees to hide. Buck got back up and took off running. On the run the shooter hit him but not a clean shot. This big buck ran to a pond and actually jumped in but didn't make it across. The shooter went in to get him. Most people will tell you deer "jump", some smart ones hit the ground and even crawl in some cases. It's never happened to me, and I never seen it, but as smart as big bucks are, I would not be surprised. I witnessed a guy shooting a cow moose once and the moose tripped/fell to the ground. She was surprised and the bang threw her off/caught her off guard...she ran off. I never understood why such a big animal would fall over like that. They get freaked out too I guess.

I've hit deer over the shoulders before with an arrow, it was bright red blood and it stops bleading soon enough. If it ws a hit, 2.5hrs of searching would have shown blood. I think this buck got lucky.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Sometimes crap happens guy. It hurts but it just happens. Its to bad.
Fork Horn

Post by Fork Horn »

Friend of mine watched a buck crawl across field after he shot at it and missed. He was never able to get a second shot.
“A hungry dog hunts best”
Lee Trevino

Every time you kill a coyote an angel gets a set of wings. OK, I made that up. But it should be the case.
Mike P
frisky

Post by frisky »

Don't feel alone, its happened to me before :x :cry:
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
radio2operate

Post by radio2operate »

I know that is a bad feeling. Maybe he will recover and you will get another chance.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

its a bad feeling.. trust me I went through it the forst week of October. I went back 4 times looking for my buck with no luck. Rain and other events didnt help the outcome. You can try your best to find him and that is all that matters.

goodluck and keep us posted
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Sorry to hear that. Just need to get back on the Horse and march on!
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
saxman

Post by saxman »

You came to the right place to vent Quickshot :(
Sorry for the loss.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Tough pill to swallow....But perhaps it was just a grazing shot, skimmed the top of his back, knocking some hair off. He may not even know what happened or even associate the event with you.

Two years ago Ecoaster shot a buck("two timer"). We followed the blood trail for 500-600 yards. Hands and knees. We eventually called it a wound the deer would most likely survive. When we retraced our steps, removing the marking tape we were just about back to where the deer had been shot when I noticed fresh blood on the ground. The deer had circled all the way back to where it had initially been hit, travelling over a km!!! We doubted this deer knew it had been shot. Ecoaster is looking forward to meeting him again!! :D
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Quickshot

Post by Quickshot »

Thanks for the support, the more I think this thing over the more I am believing it was a grazing shot. I will get another chance at him and this time it will be different.

thanks again for the support.
enjoy the woods
Doug